wildcard

Spring Training Observations and Photos/Video Thread

28 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm not sure what to think about the "split squad" lineups. Usually you can clearly tell when it is "A" team and "B" team, especially the "travel" squad. But Villar, Hays, Rickard, Nunez are traveling, Wilkerson and Young Jr. are staying. 

Also seems like they want Sisco and Wynns to get the majority of the time, as they are both getting in the line up a bit more than the rest between catching and DH'ing (though Sisco has the hotter bat out of everyone right now.)

I like it thus far.  You are "supposed" to travel a couple of starters so there is that but also like the presence of Escobar for D to see how he and Villar blend.  I love seeing Hays and Diaz in OF together also.  So much better than previous days of Adrian Martin and Garabez Rosa traveling. Plus giving Wynnie some more AB's says something also IMO.

34 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I like it thus far.  You are "supposed" to travel a couple of starters so there is that but also like the presence of Escobar for D to see how he and Villar blend.  I love seeing Hays and Diaz in OF together also.  So much better than previous days of Adrian Martin and Garabez Rosa traveling. Plus giving Wynnie some more AB's says something also IMO.

I think with it being a new regime and so many spots open, with so many players, we get lineups like this. Sisco and Wynns have gotten the majority of the time, which does say something. Brockmeyer getting time though is also interesting, as I figured Susac or Perez would of gotten it. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see the point of Escobar. If Drew is hitting them keep him as UTIF. Keep both Nunez and Ruiz as a 3B platoon.

Sisco

Davis

Villar

Martin

Ruiz

Rickard

Mullins

Stewart

Mancini

Wynns, Nunez, Drew. One of Hays/Diaz.

Edited by El Gordo

And the Orioles split squad team snatches a tie from the jaws of victory in Tampa against the Yankees. After solo shots by Andrew "The Man They Can't Get Rid Of" Susac and Austin "What Ankle and Shoulder Issues?" Hays, D.J Snelten walks 2 batters in the bottom of the 9th before Luis Gonzalez uncorks a wild pitch and then allows a single to center to tie the game.

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

And the Orioles split squad team snatches a tie from the jaws of victory in Tampa against the Yankees. After solo shots by Andrew "The Man They Can't Get Rid Of" Susac and Austin "What Ankle and Shoulder Issues?" Hays, D.J Snelten walks 2 batters in the bottom of the 9th before Luis Gonzalez uncorks a wild pitch and then allows a single to center to tie the game.

Here is Hays' shot!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I don't see the point of Escobar. If Drew is hitting them keep him as UTIF. Keep both Nunez and Ruiz as a 3B platoon.

Sisco

Davis

Villar

Martin

Ruiz

Rickard

Mullins

Stewart

Mancini

Wynns, Nunez, Drew. One of Hays/Diaz.

The point is having a veteran infield voice at least in camp, if not on the OD roster in some capacity. I think that aspect has been overlooked. He's a very good clubhouse guy and who is Martin et al going to look to as they get their feet wet in the majors.

It's an important part of development. Elias himself has said he's not all numbers.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, interloper said:

The point is having a veteran infield voice at least in camp, if not on the OD roster in some capacity. I think that aspect has been overlooked. He's a very good clubhouse guy and who is Martin et al going to look to as they get their feet wet in the majors.

It's an important part of development. Elias himself has said he's not all numbers.

If Escobar were a plus SS I might agree, but he's not. Martin/Drew could help us in the future. Escobar  it so much.

21 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If Escobar were a plus SS I might agree, but he's not. Martin/Drew could help us in the future. Escobar  it so much.

Doesn't matter that he isn't plus right now. He used to be and has a WS ring. He can still provide advice even if his body can't play exceptional D anymore.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Doesn't matter that he isn't plus right now. He used to be and has a WS ring. He can still provide advice even if his body can't play exceptional D anymore.

What difference does a WS ring make?  He going to reflect the light off of it into a batter's eyes?

I bet Brian Matusz has a WS ring.

Brandon Hyde gives his early impressions of the catching corps:

“When we take the two or three guys behind the plate that we’re going to open up with, there’s going to be a lot of factors that go into it,” Hyde said. “But experience obviously does really help. Especially if you have inexperience on the mound, a veteran guy could possibly help.”

Does Hyde plan on carrying three catchers into the 2019 season?

“[At this point] I have no idea,” Hyde said.

wkpd2jiaxaenn9e4uu6x

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/brandon-hyde-relates-to-orioles-young-catchers

21 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Brandon Hyde gives his early impressions of the catching corps:

“When we take the two or three guys behind the plate that we’re going to open up with, there’s going to be a lot of factors that go into it,” Hyde said. “But experience obviously does really help. Especially if you have inexperience on the mound, a veteran guy could possibly help.”

Does Hyde plan on carrying three catchers into the 2019 season?

“[At this point] I have no idea,” Hyde said.

wkpd2jiaxaenn9e4uu6x

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/brandon-hyde-relates-to-orioles-young-catchers

I saw that too. I'm curious if the plan isn't a combination of Wynns, Sisco, and Perez or Sucre if/while Trumbo is out and having the rest of the bench be a group that can play both infield and outfield, hence all the utility guys.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I saw that too. I'm curious if the plan isn't a combination of Wynns, Sisco, and Perez or Sucre if/while Trumbo is out and having the rest of the bench be a group that can play both infield and outfield, hence all the utility guys.

I think #25 is going to be a pitcher.  Bullpen is going to have to eat a lot of innings this year.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think #25 is going to be a pitcher.  Bullpen is going to have to eat a lot of innings this year.

We may not have a lot of SP options, but I like the relief options we have. The Norfolk shuttle this year is going to offer up a lot of opportunities. 

29 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I love this photo of Wynnie about to catch the ball with hand tucked into his shin guard with the red backdrop!  Hyde certainly speaks highly of him from link above.

But Hyde said he has been impressed with the group of catchers in camp.

“I think we made huge strides behind the plate in their communication,” Hyde said. “You haven’t seen balls go to the backstop. We haven’t dropped balls. When we have an opportunity to throw somebody out, we’ve thrown them out.”

Communication, effort and attention to detail are among improvements Hyde said he has seen this spring.

“Some of those guys are just scratching the surface of what they can be behind the plate,” Hyde said. “Chance is one of those, and Austin Wynns caught really, really well yesterday, a ton of really tough blocks in big spots with runners on base. He gives you a good AB. So I’m really encouraged by a lot of the things, especially the younger guys that are in camp.”