Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

When do we start talking about how bad his SO rate is? (36% and a few significant ticks higher than normal)

His line drive rate is way up and his fly ball rate way down, turning him into a much less scary hitter.

Can someone show me where I can find statistics on called third strikes?   I really am curious if I am just nuts in thinking his percentage is very high

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

When do we start talking about how bad his SO rate is? (36% and a few significant ticks higher than normal)

His line drive rate is way up and his fly ball rate way down, turning him into a much less scary hitter.

I thought we always talk about how bad his SO rate is.

I'm not sure what to say about the LD vs FB rates.

I'll just take a guess and say with the cold weather he knows that the ball isn't going to carry well to the LF gap. Once it warms up he might try to start hitting those long fly balls to oppo field. I think the K's are here to stay and he has a huge strike zone. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Can someone show me where I can find statistics on called third strikes?   I really am curious if I am just nuts in thinking his percentage is very high

He set the record for most called strikeouts last year, and is on pace to beat that record this year.   

Someone tell him when he's down 0-2 or 1-2 to sit fastball, not breaking ball. They are throwing fastballs right down the middle most of the time because they know he's guessing breaking ball.

• Upvote 1

He could also try bunting since they are giving him a free base hit literally every time he comes up to bat.

Make the defense adjust or hit over .400 like you are Ted Williams.

Or just keep striking out like you don't even care, whatever.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Larry18 said:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisch02-bat.shtml

The Pitch Summary- Batting table has that information

Glad you found this for me.  Looks like he is in the top 10 in percentage of K's looking, but he isn't that horrendous.   But if you look at it from a total perspective, like Frobby says it isn't pretty.  

6 hours ago, Norfolk orioles said:

He could also try bunting since they are giving him a free base hit literally every time he comes up to bat.

Make the defense adjust or hit over .400 like you are Ted Williams.

Or just keep striking out like you don't even care, whatever.

I've been saying this all along. He could be an .800 hitter if he would try and hit ground balls to the left side of the diamond. The other teams would also stop shifting on him then too. If he spent as much time trying to hit the ball the other way as much as he tries to beat the shift, he'd be much better off.

8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Now here is something I didn't think I would say years ago, but he is becoming very valuable for his defense.

Without his GG level defense we would have seen this thread 5 times already this season. 

I thought players got better with the strike one as they got older. Davis looks lost. Combine a huge strike zone with poor plate coverage, substantial holes in his swing, and the shift, all of this adds up to what we're seeing. 

Dropping bunts down are pointless for this team. It's not like we manufacture runs. All it does is take away one of our chances to hit a homer. It's who we are. 

Last year the excuse given for Davis' subpar season was nagging injuries that never healed during the season.

Wonder what the excuse is going to be this season?

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats

• I missed the last inning. Did Sucre provide demonstrative encouragement and critiques of his own pitches?
    • DJ Stewart should be up. He looked good last season and he is a better outfielder than Mancini.  Really I don't think management has a clue about baseball.
    • o   Hess held it together for 4 shutout innings before the White Sox got to him in the 5th.     15 OUTS: ) 5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 2 Foulout, 2 Lineouts   DAVID JAMES HESS  ))))))) (FINAL NUMBERS) IP:ll5 H:lll 5 ))(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles) R:llll 4 BB:ll2 SO:ll3 Pitches: )l 76) (47 )Strikes, )29 )Balls) 2019 ERA: )l 5.88  )  26.00 IP  (17 ER) 2019 WHIP: )l 1.231  )  26.00 IP  (32 H/BB) 2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .250  )  (25 for 100)   PITCHES BY INNING ******************* 10 ll(71 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls) 14 ll(91 llStrikes, lll51 lllBalls) 15 ll(91 llStrikes, lll61 lllBalls) 51 ll(31 llStrikes, lll21 lllBalls) 32 ll(19 llStrikes, l13 llllllBalls)   o
    • They miss Wieters behind the plate.
    • o   Hess held it together for 4 shutout innings before the White Sox got to him in the 5th.     15 OUTS: ) 5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 2 Foulout, 2 Lineouts   DAVID JAMES HESS  ))))))) (vs. WHITE SOX, 4/22) IP:ll5 H:lll 5 ))(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles) R:llll 4 BB:ll2 SO:ll3 Pitches: )l 76) (47 )Strikes, )29 )Balls) 2019 ERA: )l 5.88  )  26.00 IP  (17 ER) 2019 WHIP: )l 1.231  )  26.00 IP  (32 H/BB) 2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .250  )  (25 for 100)   PITCHES BY INNING ******************* 10 ll(71 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls) 14 ll(91 llStrikes, lll51 lllBalls) 15 ll(91 llStrikes, lll61 lllBalls) 51 ll(31 llStrikes, lll21 lllBalls) 32 ll(19 llStrikes, l13 llllllBalls)   o
    • No pitchers with elite stuff, track record of performance, and desirable delivery/measurables. I think Lodolo is probably the top pitcher, I like him better than Singer last year, but doesn’t really have TOR upside, he’s 92-95 lefty with sink, slider, curveball, change. Throws strikes, lots of GBs, avg command. Slider is a new pitch and gives him a chance to miss more bats. Other potential top pitchers drafted are Alek Manoah who is an extra large human, 93-98, plus slider, developing change, has had command and consistency problems but has really improved as the season has progressed. Was pretty much projected as a reliever at the beginning of the year, but has shook that label.  Jackson Rutledge who is a JUCO guy with command issues but a huge frame and huge stuff, he’s t100, he’s kind of a Nate Pearson clone.  Zach Thompson who is a lefty who  was kind of falling down draft boards until he sat 94-96 this past weekend with a plus curveball. His stuff is so inconsistent, it’d be a hard sell for me before 20 overall. George Kirby who doesn’t have anything plus, but is polished, with a bunch of average to 55 grade pitches and potential above average command. Then my favorite, Seth Johnson, who has a best mechanics of them all IMO, converted SS, has pitched one year since middle school. 91-96 t98, plus slider, high spin curveball, change. Poor pitch-ability and below average command, but like I said he’s literally just started pitching. He could be 4 plus pitches with successful development. The lack of track record could be viewed as a plus or a minus.  Those are the top college arms, the high school class has depth but doesn’t have anyone I’d be excited about taking in the top 15 overall.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now