Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

14 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I agree with this.  I don't think he should be run out, as I suggested all Gordo Gecko-ish earlier in this thread, but they should be aggressive in getting him off the payroll.  It doesn't seem like he is committed to working on his problems AND he cannot be on a young team making that bank to suck so historically.

So I'm back to Gordon Gecko mode and am going to take a bath with a new bar of soap and a wire brush.😉

They can have him sit on bench for entire season.  They will have tons of guys with options they can shuttle back and forth.  Make him the bench coach.  What do those guys do anyway?  Spit some seeds and tell the manager good move?

16 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I agree with this.  I don't think he should be run out, as I suggested all Gordo Gecko-ish earlier in this thread, but they should be aggressive in getting him off the payroll.  It doesn't seem like he is committed to working on his problems AND he cannot be on a young team making that bank to suck so historically.

So I'm back to Gordon Gecko mode and am going to take a bath with a new bar of soap and a wire brush.😉

The team won't contend as long as he is on it,

I don’t think new coaching can fix bat speed. Pitchers figured out to just pitch him inside. He got by with pitchers seeing a hulking slugger at the plate, and they were naturally afraid to pitch inside. Once that got exposed, he was done.  

My suggestion would be for him to stand off that plate like Harold Baines. That and drop some bunts down. He might put up a .700 OPS, but apparently it’s cooler now to be the worst player in baseball history than to drop bunts down against the shift. 

9 hours ago, El Gordo said:

The team won't contend as long as he is on it,

His contract will likely be over before this team even has a chance of contending again - no matter how he performs. He's our Ryan Howard.

Not to be blasphemic or "non-holy", his wife did say that (and I paraphrase), "God has a plan."  He believes that whatever God's plan is will lead him either to better baseball, the strength to withstand all of the criticism or perhaps some middle ground.  We shall see how it all plays out.  We've seen some "old guys" make the majors for the first time and succeed.  CD has had past successes so this will be a different route.  This thread may one day be a "classic thread"!  :deadhorse:

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Not to be blasphemic or "non-holy", his wife did say that (and I paraphrase), "God has a plan."  He believes that whatever God's plan is will lead him either to better baseball, the strength to withstand all of the criticism or perhaps some middle ground.  We shall see how it all plays out.  We've seen some "old guys" make the majors for the first time and succeed.  CD has had past successes so this will be a different route.  This thread may one day be a "classic thread"!  :deadhorse:

Divine intervention might be our best shot at this point.

19 minutes ago, theocean said:

His contract will likely be over before this team even has a chance of contending again - no matter how he performs. He's our Ryan Howard.

Maybe one of the Three Stooges? Moe,Curly or Shemp Howard? Maybe to get fans in Trumbo or Mancini  pokes him in the eye or other fun antics. 

Image result for moe curly and shemp howard

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Divine intervention might be our best shot at this point.

I'm saying a little prayer with Aretha in mind.  Hopefully, I'm not heartbroken.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Maybe one of the Three Stooges? Moe,Curly or Shemp Howard? Maybe to get fans in Trumbo or Mancini  pokes him in the eye or other fun antics. 

Image result for moe curly and shemp howard

The Howard (nee Horwitz) brothers - Jerome, Samuel, and Moses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theocean said:

Except Ryan Howard was never that bad. His lowest OPS in a season was .690 and Davis was at .539 this year.  

As I said during the season, it looked like he quit the last couple of months.  There were some defensive plays where he put very little effort out.  I just can't sympathies with a guy that was doing something that was regarded as cheating, come backs from suspension and gets a monster contract (not his fault), and then seems to have little ambition to work extra hard to make changes in an approach that is obviously flawed.  

Personally I think he is done but I at least could root for the guy if I really felt he was willing to work on his craft.  I just get the sick feeling that he cheated the system to put the numbers up that he did and now is okay with collecting the money. 

13 hours ago, foxfield said:

I have read my free articles for the month....is there anything enlightening in this?

Open in incognito/private window.

EDIT: Oops, doesn't work with Balt Sun. Does with many other sites.

Edited by beervendor
Being 100% wrong
  • Thanks 1

I would not take much from the Sun article, I would think that Davis is going to keep things close to the vest regarding his plans (if any other than pumping iron).  He should talk to JD Martinez.  Martinez re-invented his swing before the 2014 season after being released by Houston.  Of course he was only 25 at the time. 

Davis needs a new approach to hitting, if not, 2019 will be a 2018 repeat.

I don't begrudge CD or any player 3 weeks off after the end of the season, it's a pretty punishing 6 months.  The Orioles played their last game on September 30.  It's now October 24.  What's on the schedule today Chris?