Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

56 minutes ago, interloper said:

I pulled this from the Roch comments:

Dating back to last season, Davis is 1-49 with 25 Ks

Lol. Goodness...

So you are saying he has had a little bit of a cold streak? I wonder if ownership has demanded that Davis play.  It seems to me if I were manager I would sit Davis over half the games.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

So you are saying he has had a little bit of a cold streak? I wonder if ownership has demanded that Davis play.  It seems to me if I were manager I would sit Davis over half the games.  

Nope.    They are going to test Davis with regular playing time for a while to give him every chance to get into a groove and out of his funk.    It won’t last forever if this keeps up, but it will last a while.   

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I pulled this from the Roch comments:

Dating back to last season, Davis is 1-49 with 25 Ks. 

Lol. Goodness...

Its right. I just checked his gamelog. Davis had exactly one hit in his last 37 AB's of 2018. 

10 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its right. I just checked his gamelog. Davis had exactly one hit in his last 37 AB's of 2018. 

You have to admire his consistency.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'm interested to hear the fan reaction to Davis tomorrow during Opening Day.

Probably get a nice hand from all the Yankee fans.

You know what he needs to do?  Learn how to bunt along the 3rd base line. This isn't last year's team or teams from the Showalter/Duquette era where all they did was try and hit it out of the park. Davis needs to get with the current time. Bunt the ball, dash down to 1b. Steal 2b. And so forth. 

3 hours ago, Nevermore said:

You know what he needs to do?  Learn how to bunt along the 3rd base line. This isn't last year's team or teams from the Showalter/Duquette era where all they did was try and hit it out of the park. Davis needs to get with the current time. Bunt the ball, dash down to 1b. Steal 2b. And so forth. 

Are opposing teams even bothering to shift against him? 

And Davis does not have the speed to steal bases with any consistency. 

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

And Davis does not have the speed to steal bases with any consistency. 

They are probably going to put 3 infielders behind the catcher in case of wild pitches on strike three.

• Haha 4

Pretty sure I saw a tweet that he was hitless in his las 32 ABs last year. So he’s right around 50 now. 

Our light hitting SS and C, consistently have better ABs. 

6 hours ago, nate22 said:

They are probably going to put 3 infielders behind the catcher in case of wild pitches on strike three.

When I was maybe 10 to 12, playing unorganized baseball (we didn't have any organized ball, other than in school), the supreme compliment to a batter was for the defense to say to the OFs, "Sink out, heavy hitter." That gave rise, to "Sink in, lousy hitter." Since boys are always looking to ratchet up the insults (and somewhere in there Eddie Feigner's four-man softball team showed up on Wide World of Sports), that led to OFers sitting down or gathering in one spot and talking among themselves, not because they wanted to but just to try to make the batter feel bad. (I was in neither category, but if the other team had moved the LF and CF in so they were backing up the SS hole and the 2B bag, they would have taken away the majority of my hits.) I don't think "adjustments" was in our baseball vocabulary.)

I've thought about that often when Davis came up last season and especially this year in ST. Are there guys in the field thinking stuff like "It's hot out here. I could use some water," or "This would be a good time to pee" or "I wish I could use this break in the action to make a few phone calls," figuring that they wouldn't be missed since odds of Davis both making contact and hitting the ball to them are so small. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Actually, they all just sit down.