Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

Peter Tork Died: The Make-Believe Band that Actually Came to Life

o

As Micky Dolenz once stated, "Pinocchio came to life" in regard to the plight of the once artificial band evolving into a real band.

There still seems to be a contingent of people that still believe/presume that the Monkees were a fake band.

Part of the problem is that the Monkees DID start out as a fake band. After their first two albums, they gained their autonomy to play their own instruments on their albums (starting with the Headquarters album in 1967), and went on concert tours by themselves ........ the artificial quartet became an actual band. Additionally, Mike Nesmith wrote "Different Drum" for the Stone Poneys. 

As for the late Peter Tork, he and Mike Nesmith were both already hardcore musicians at the time in which they were chosen as two of the 4 members for the new television series. The other two members (Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones) were world-class singers, so the quartet had a solid foundation/basis for their subsequent evolution into a bonafide band. Tork left the group in 1968 after the release of the group's double-platinum Head album, and the band made two additional albums as a trio before the departure of Mike Nesmith finalized the dissolution of the band that fought for (and won) its autonomy from Don Kirshner and company.

Tork was 77 years-old.

Goodbye, Peter Tork. The Monkees Made Believers of Us All

(By Probyn Gregory)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/goodbye-peter-tork-the-monkees-made-believers-of-us-all/2019/02/22/ccc90c3e-36df-11e9-a400-e481bf264fdc_story.html?utm_term=.97484ca24e72

o

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats

• Guys, I'm no moderator, but the interesting debate about McGregor, et al, has (IMHO) reached critical mass. 
    • Don't have anything on hand.  Not sure where to look or even if there is a trustworthy source for the information.  I'm mostly going be fallible memory of how hard guys threw and how, for the most part, left handed velocity is a couple ticks behind right handed velocity. As for your video, sure he looked good.  You chose a start in which he threw a shutout.  I remember DCab looking really good when he threw that one hitter against the Yankees. My point has been, this whole time, that you can't make it in the majors today with the K rate that McGregor had when he pitched. If you would like to show me guys have sustained success in today's game with a K rate under 4...
    • Can you give us a reference about where the evidence is for how "very few left handed pitchers threw 91 back in the late 70s"?     Maybe my statistical search is not looking in the same place.     Yeah, the junk baller who won our last World Series game probably ever.    Just watch the video and honestly tell me you think this guy couldn't pitch today.     
    • So few left handed pitchers threw 91 back in the late 70's that I just find it unlikely from a statistical standpoint.  I'm not old enough to remember late 70's McGregor.  The guy I remember in the 80's was more of a junkballer.
    • At the same time, you cited 103 mph as the reason older generation hitters would not do well today.  Exaggeration goes both ways in making a point about which I too was trying to communicate...i.e.  I do believe that many 1980s era players could certainly play well and thrive in today's game.     And that some of the pitching skill sets today might even be more valuable in today's game than they were back then.   Even if the velocity is not the same.         I certainly accept that the game is played differently today, different after the steroid era, and that the athletes playing it perform those aspects of the game differently than their predecessors.   Still haven't found the speed gun ratings on Scott in high school, but I suspect they were pretty good....I might just ask him...   Scott McGregor, El Segundo (Calif.), 1972 Although a teammate of Hall of Famer George Brett (as a sophomore and junior), it was McGregor who garnered more headlines during his three-year career under El Segundo legendary coach John Stevenson. McGregor was a three-time All-CIF selection and was twice named Player of the Year. He was also a Rawlings All-American as a senior. He set section records (which still stand) for career wins (51), career shutouts (20), shutouts in a season (9), and consecutive no-hitters (2). He also set the section record for career strikeouts (which has since been broken) with 496. He was the No. 14 overall pick in 1972 draft by the Yankees, but he was eventually traded to Baltimore. 
    • He's the top, He's the Colosseum! He's the top, A cornerstone of the Te-am! -- Pole Courter, from the musical "Anything Counts"  
    • You asked about velocity right? I love how you keep mentioning inner circle HoF players.  No word on how Frank Torre would do.  By concentrating on the top .1% you are missing out on an important issue I tried to relay to you.  Your average hitter is a lot more dangerous.   
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now