Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

Im one lucky dude..heres a story of my house guests this past weekend...

That is awesome.   And yes, you are very lucky.     We should all take the time to appreciate it when we have the kind of relationships that last a lifetime, whether they’re with Hall of Fame ballplayers or Joe down the street.  

• Upvote 1

Class acts.  All of you. You are right...you never know about life.

Here’s to many more celebrations of love and life, but not under these circumstances.

Thanks for sharing such an emotional event.  It sounds like it was a good mix of passion and revelry and celebration and truth.  Good deal.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

In all the years I've known Brooks Robinson, it never occurred to him that he was BROOKS ROBINSON.

That's the perfect summation in one short sentence. 

I've met several dozen athletes over the past 25 years or so, mainly across the table at an autograph show.  The interaction is very brief, and many unfortunately treat it for what is, a cold business transaction.   

Then there's Brooks, who is quite the opposite.

Season ticket holders are being offered the chance for a lunch with Ed-die and Brooks.  I'd jump on that, any of us would.   To have not only a lunch, but a weekend, and beyond that, a decades long friendship with Brooks.  "Lucky dude" is a tremendous understatement.  You lead a very, very charmed life @Roy Firestone  Thanks for sharing.

I was going to say that Roy hit it out of the park, but that would be an understatement.  You could put a 'Here' flag on this post.  The quote that TonySoprano references is brilliant.

I was just telling my wife that I suspected that most superstars weren't great people.  How would you keep your ego in check with so many adoring fans?  This was never an issue with Brooks.

I recall so many times when interviewers would tee up Brooks  to toot his own horn, and he would never take the bait.  He would praise Clete Boyer, but he wouldn't praise himself.

Brooks is more than a Hall of Fame baseball player.  He is a Hall of Fame human being.

28 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Scott and Jeremy asked me to read this piece on the FAN today on the 5 o'clock hour....if you're interested...

Will you be singing it in the style of Sammy Davis Jr.?   

Thanks for sharing, Roy!  Nice to see that your excitement and enthusiasm as a bat boy toward these great ballplayers has not diminished, that these ballplayers are first class people and that your childhood relationships with these players has graduated to mutual respect and friendship.

There is a boy in all of us that would love to host a Hall of Famer and be a fly on the wall as they told stories - and living that through you is more than enough for me.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Will you be singing it in the style of Sammy Davis Jr.?   

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

My vote is Sinatra.

Of course.