Philip

Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

I have almost no faith in Wright’s ability to be a worthwhile MLB pitcher, but he’s done well so far. I know it’s only 3-4 innings but it is a mirage or does he look legitimately improved?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have almost no faith in Wright’s ability to be a worthwhile MLB pitcher, but he’s done well so far. I know it’s only 3-4 innings but it is a mirage or does he look legitimately improved?

We was just talking about him in the 2019 ST thread.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

It's a mirage.  It's always a mirage with him.

I get how you are feeling, but new regime and maybe Wright will benefit from him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a mirage.  It's always a mirage with him.

That’s what I think too. And he appears to be pretty immature. But I would be happy to be wrong.

• Upvote 1

Seemed to have a good slider yesterday. A lot of 89 his first game, some 92-94 in his second. He comes from the Chris Tillman school of wildly fluctuating velocity from game-to-game. Been like that with him for years because he can't seem to decide if he wants to throw a 2-seamer or 4-seamer. One year it was like he completely abandoned the 4-seamer. Then he threw a cutter for awhile, which was just a bad, faster version of his slider AKA a bad, slower version of his fastball. He's a mess. 

If he's going to have any success he needs to figure out what he throws. The new regime could help him with that by showing him what works and what doesn't. We'll see. He's a middle relief guy at best and not a very good one.

36 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I get how you are feeling, but new regime and maybe Wright will benefit from him.

Well, that's the wildcard here.  New regime, analytics, etc.  Maybe it's not a mirage.

But in an ST game where he's probably facing quad-A guys and guys that are going to be cut in a week or two (I'm guessing, I don't know who he faced), I'm not holding my breath.

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, that's the wildcard here.  New regime, analytics, etc.  Maybe it's not a mirage.

But in an ST game where he's probably facing quad-A guys and guys that are going to be cut in a week or two (I'm guessing, I don't know who he faced), I'm not holding my breath.

I thought game 1 and game 2 of ST, had a lot of starters, but you have a key point.

Not holding my breath. But, if he couldnt get the weaker guys out, then it would be really bad.

We were overdue for the first "hey, I know this guy has a 5.55 ERA and is 27 and his stuff is mediocre, but he's thrown three scoreless against AA hitters so that means we can pencil him in for 220 innings of a 3.75, right" thread.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Seemed to have a good slider yesterday. A lot of 89 his first game, some 92-94 in his second. He comes from the Chris Tillman school of wildly fluctuating velocity from game-to-game. Been like that with him for years because he can't seem to decide if he wants to throw a 2-seamer or 4-seamer. One year it was like he completely abandoned the 4-seamer. Then he threw a cutter for awhile, which was just a bad, faster version of his slider AKA a bad, slower version of his fastball. He's a mess. 

If he's going to have any success he needs to figure out what he throws. The new regime could help him with that by showing him what works and what doesn't. We'll see. He's a middle relief guy at best and not a very good one.

“I thought we had a lot of highlights,” Hyde said. “I really liked the way we played. The pitchers early in the game - Mike Wright, Rogers - I thought they really threw the ball well and attacked hitters. Things we talked about earlier in the day.

Mike Wright really trusting his slider as a strike and a put-away pitch and throwing some four-seamers elevated. And Rogers with just great tempo and pitch mix and quick innings. Got us off the field."

Wright hasn’t allowed a run in four innings - two in relief and two as a starter.

“That’s his second outing, and two innings were a really good two innings,” Hyde said. “We’re going to continue to throw him out there and continue to build him up and see how it goes. But that was awesome. It was awesome to see his command, his aggressiveness. His velo was nice. The whole thing was a really good outing.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/davis-on-his-home-run-and-wrapping-up-an-11-5-loss.html

I wasn’t impressed with Wright in his televised outing on Saturday.   But in any event it’s too early to draw any big conclusions.    At least he’s not getting bombed right out of the gate, like some of his colleagues.   

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We were overdue for the first "hey, I know this guy has a 5.55 ERA and is 27 and his stuff is mediocre, but he's thrown three scoreless against AA hitters so that means we can pencil him in for 220 innings of a 3.75, right" thread.

Get real.  250 innings of a 2.75 is more like it.

Mike Wright is not good.  It's proven fact....

I           Split  W  L  ERA  G GS    IP   H   R  ER HR BB IBB  SO HBP WP   BF  WHIP SO9 SO/W
    Career Totals 10 11 5.75 91 24 228.2 260 154 146 38 87   4 178  24  9 1029 1.517 7.0 2.05

Now its time for the analytics....

8.5% career Walk rate

17.3% K rate

All 5 of Wrights pitches are graded below average.

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, bobmc said:

“I thought we had a lot of highlights,” Hyde said. “I really liked the way we played. The pitchers early in the game - Mike Wright, Rogers - I thought they really threw the ball well and attacked hitters. Things we talked about earlier in the day.

Mike Wright really trusting his slider as a strike and a put-away pitch and throwing some four-seamers elevated. And Rogers with just great tempo and pitch mix and quick innings. Got us off the field."

Wright hasn’t allowed a run in four innings - two in relief and two as a starter.

“That’s his second outing, and two innings were a really good two innings,” Hyde said. “We’re going to continue to throw him out there and continue to build him up and see how it goes. But that was awesome. It was awesome to see his command, his aggressiveness. His velo was nice. The whole thing was a really good outing.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/davis-on-his-home-run-and-wrapping-up-an-11-5-loss.html

Yep, I think it's best for Wright to stick with these pitches. Enough with the 2seamer and the meh cutter. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Gordo said:

It's too soon for anything.

Folks are ready to go with Ruiz over Nunez based on two ST games. Not saying that might not eventually happen, but dang.