Philip

Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I have almost no faith in Wright’s ability to be a worthwhile MLB pitcher, but he’s done well so far. I know it’s only 3-4 innings but it is a mirage or does he look legitimately improved?

I can't think of a more ironically named man in all of baseball then Mike "Wright". #itsamirage

The best thing that could happen is for Wright to pitch his way into the rotation and have a good 1/2 season so they can dump him to a contender and get something in return.  29 years old, no options remaining, history of getting rocked, etc.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a mirage.  It's always a mirage with him.

Mike Wright is the girlfriend who promises to not cheat on you anymore, but can't stop seeing other guys.  So don't get your hopes up.

(Unless Elias and Sig can work their magic, Wright is a non-factor.) 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Folks are ready to go with Ruiz over Nunez based on two ST games. Not saying that might not eventually happen, but dang.

Chance Sisco is apparently Mike Piazza now, too. 😁

4 hours ago, esmd said:

The best thing that could happen is for Wright to pitch his way into the rotation and have a good 1/2 season so they can dump him to a contender and get something in return.  29 years old, no options remaining, history of getting rocked, etc.

Do you see the catch-22 here?

18 hours ago, interloper said:

Folks are ready to go with Ruiz over Nunez based on two ST games. Not saying that might not eventually happen, but dang.

Things are just wide open this ST. People are going to get excited over little things when our only MLB signing was Nate Karns. Heck, at this point it’s looking like the two rule 5 players are two of the most secure on the roster. 

16 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Do you see the catch-22 here?

Not sure what you're trying to say.  Maybe comparing him to Arrietta?  I don't see it.  If he has a very good 1st half and they're able to trade him, I'm compare it more to Sidney Ponson in '03, lol.  Hopefully we get some better prospects than back then, and then don't make it worse by resigning him to a big FA deal.  *facepalm*

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

Not sure what you're trying to say.  Maybe comparing him to Arrietta?  I don't see it.  If he has a very good 1st half and they're able to trade him, I'm compare it more to Sidney Ponson in '03, lol.  Hopefully we get some better prospects than back then, and then don't make it worse by resigning him to a big FA deal.  *facepalm*

I guess the point is, if Mike Wright has a good half season, why trade him? If he can pitch well enough to hammer down a swing man role or fifth starter ... we need those players.

If you think that it's a smoke show, and worry that his lack of options and age is hampering his flexibility, it's not like other teams don't see that also. These aren't secrets.

Oh I definitely think it'd be a smoke show, but if it happens and they are able to get anything of value in return, it's worth it.

2 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

Mike Wright starting Saturday in Ft Myers against the Sox.   Great Ill be there . . . . . . . 😩

You can tell us how the ball is coming out of his hand!

This just helped his chances. 

I hope Karns will be ok. I don’t expect anything special from him but our starting depth is weak to begin with.