Jump to content
Philip

Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm curious as to how it's different than the cutter he threw last year. Maybe he's ditched the two seamer?

I'm no expert, but Trezza says he didn't throw one last year. 

We do know that the O's weren't fans of cutters in year's past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why can't these reporters read a schedule?

We’ll only list four starters here since the Orioles don’t technically need a fifth until the third week of the season. - Joe Trezza

If there’s no room in the rotation, especially with early off-days eliminating the need for a fifth starter until April 10, the Orioles can return him to their bullpen to provide coverage for multiple innings. - Roch

The truth this the O's play 5 games in a row between March 30 and April 3rd.   So the fifth starter is need the first week of the season.

These guys are driving me nut?  Just NUTS!  What else do they have to do but report the information correctly.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Why can't these reporters read a schedule?

We’ll only list four starters here since the Orioles don’t technically need a fifth until the third week of the season. - Joe Trezza

If there’s no room in the rotation, especially with early off-days eliminating the need for a fifth starter until April 10, the Orioles can return him to their bullpen to provide coverage for multiple innings. - Roch

The truth this the O's play 5 games in a row between March 30 and April 3rd.   So the fifth starter is need the first week of the season.

These guys are driving me nut?  Just NUTS!  What else do they have to do but report the information correctly.

 

Easy.... calm down. 

I don’t have the frustration you do but it isn’t that hard to see 5 straight days on the schedule with a game listed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the game today. Was unimpressed with Wright. 1st inning he was pretty sharp. 2nd and third he was either missing a little like he was picking or missing a lot. Bounced 2 or 3 pitches, including the HBP. Yanked several pitches way left across his body. Couple hard hit ball knocked down by the wind or hit hard at people. Pitch count by innings was 14, 18, 20. I didn't keep track of balls and strikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just look at this stupid  article written but Joe Trezza.

1) First he reports the O's do not need a 5th starter until the 3rd week of the season which could not be  more wrong.

2) Then he contradict himself by saying they only need 4 starters and then lists 5 starters at the bottom of the article .  Come on, Joe.  At least be consistent inside the same article.

3) Then he show incredibly bad judgement by saying the Ortiz will make the bullpen.   Why?   Does he watch or listen to the games?    Can he read a box score?  Ortiz has given up 8 runs in 5 innings this  spring after giving up 4 runs in 2.1 innings in his September callup.  He is about three days  from being sent the minors.

How am I supposed to have any faith is Trezza's reporting when I can't trust the facts he states, the consistency in his  writing or the baseball judgement that he apparently does not have.

AAAAgh.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-opening-day-roster-preview

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I watched the game today. Was unimpressed with Wright. 1st inning he was pretty sharp. 2nd and third he was either missing a little like he was picking or missing a lot. Bounced 2 or 3 pitches. Couple hard hit ball knocked down by the wind or hit hard at people. Pitch count by innings was 14, 18, 20. I didn't keep track of balls and strikes.

Thanks for raining on the parade. 🌧️ 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why can't these reporters read a schedule?

We’ll only list four starters here since the Orioles don’t technically need a fifth until the third week of the season. - Joe Trezza

If there’s no room in the rotation, especially with early off-days eliminating the need for a fifth starter until April 10, the Orioles can return him to their bullpen to provide coverage for multiple innings. - Roch

The truth this the O's play 5 games in a row between March 30 and April 3rd.   So the fifth starter is need the first week of the season.

These guys are driving me nut?  Just NUTS!  What else do they have to do but report the information correctly.

 

Actually Meoli got it wrong as well. That’s 3 writers. 

Maybe they have inside info of a rainout the first Sunday in NY or they are using an opener.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Thanks for raining on the parade. 🌧️ 😜

Sorry. 😛 And I'm no scout, far from it. I just thought he looked tons better last Saturday vs. the Sox. Roch and Hyde sure talked him up. :noidea:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I'm no expert, but Trezza says he didn't throw one last year. 

We do know that the O's weren't fans of cutters in year's past.

Trezza is wrong, statcast classified it as a slider but it’s the same or at least a very similar pitch to what he’s throwing now.

Look at the velocity and movement of the “slider” in 2015-2016 vs 2018. It averaged 84mph with more depth in 15-16, it was 89mph in 2018. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Sorry. 😛 And I'm no scout, far from it. I just thought he looked tons better last Saturday vs. the Sox. Roch and Hyde sure talked him up. :noidea:

I know with Wright to wait until the real games count by now. Would be nice for a pitching prospect to figure it out for once or not get hurt.

Is that too much to ask as an Orioles fan? 🙋‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Trezza is wrong, statcast classified it as a slider but it’s the same or at least a very similar pitch to what he’s throwing now.

Look at the velocity and movement of the “slider” in 2015-2016 vs 2018. It averaged 84mph with more depth in 15-16, it was 89mph in 2018. 

Can't trust what Trezza reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just look at this stupid  article written but Joe Trezza.

1) First he reports the O's do not need a 5th starter until the 3rd week of the season which could not be  more wrong.

2) Then he contradict himself by saying they only need 4 starters and then lists 5 starters at the bottom of the article .  Come on, Joe.  At least be consistent inside the same article.

3) Then he show incredibly bad judgement by saying the Ortiz will make the bullpen.   Why?   Does he watch or listen to the games?    Can he read a box score?  Ortiz has given up 8 runs in 5 innings this  spring after giving up 4 runs in 2.1 innings in his September callup.  He is about three days  from being sent the minors.

How am I supposed to have any faith is Trezza's reporting when I can't trust the facts he states, the consistency in his  writing or the baseball judgement that he apparently does not have.

AAAAgh.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-opening-day-roster-preview

 

Sorry to rain on wildcard's parade, but they don't need a 5th starter until the 3rd time through (April 11).

Those 5ish straight days are bookend by off days. So, to keep the top 4 guys on somewhat normal rest you can skip SP5 twice.

March 28th SP1, 29th Off day, 30th SP2, 31st SP3,  April 1st SP4, 2nd SP1, 3rd SP2, 4th SP3, 5th Off day, 6th SP4, 7th SP1, 8th SP2, 9th SP3, 10th SP4, 11th SP5.

Or am I somehow wrong like the 3 reporters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







  • Posts

    • Looks like we are about even on slot amounts if Henderson's 2.3M amount is accurate.  Potential savings on both Rutschman and Watson deals.  I expect a minimum of 500K between those two deals.  Might be playing hardball with Watson.
    • This is not a surprise. One-dimensional guys don’t usually have trade value.
    • With Gunnar and AR signed, I'm content. Anything else is icing on the cake, IMO.  I do like both cake and icing. 
    • Your assumption is that the old man listened.  I disagree that he did or that AJ had any impact at all.  Peter Angelos did what Peter Angelos wanted to do.  Yes, Adam expressed very publically that he wanted Davis, Markakis, O’Day signed, David Price pursued, etc etc.   Buck said it in a more veiled and sophisticated way for PR purposes as he knew his role.  Brady never really said squat publically because he was a behind the scenes guy who had no official spokesman role.  Dan was Dan...Mr. Oblique, clearly not his call, but not somebody, after his Toronto dalliance, who was in any position to influence or advocate a different view with the old man.  Peter Angelos knew that Adam Jones was his employee, and was just a player, and knew Buck and DD and Brady were his employees too.   Period.   The deal was done by Peter Angelos and nobody else. 
    • I don't disagree with the conclusion, but I think it's overstated, and that if Mancini could maintain his current level of production, he should attract some serious intreese among contending teams (or teams that view themselves as contenders) looking to add offensive punch. If you throw Trey in with qualifying first baseman in both leagues, this season Trey would be tied for fifth in OPS, tied for seventh through 11th in HRs and 17th in RBIs. (In the latter two categories, there are two NYYs who are ahead of or tied with Trey.) He has hit better on the road than at Camden Yards. I would certainly expect his RBIs, and maybe his other stats, to improve if he played for a decent offensive team.  I think that package might appeal to some teams, though it probably would take beyond the end of July to establish the kind of consistency to attain that interest.
    • Things are falling into place nicely. If Rutschman and Henderson both sign up, that only leaves us with Watson (3), Dashbach (11), Hammer (13) and Roth (29) unsigned among our top 33 picks.  
    • Looks like the over slot money to Henderson is almost exactly what we saved on under slots so far.  Well orchestrated by Elias.  Looks like any late round over slots come down to Rutschman's deal.
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...