Philip

Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm curious as to how it's different than the cutter he threw last year. Maybe he's ditched the two seamer?

I'm no expert, but Trezza says he didn't throw one last year. 

We do know that the O's weren't fans of cutters in year's past.

Why can't these reporters read a schedule?

We’ll only list four starters here since the Orioles don’t technically need a fifth until the third week of the season. - Joe Trezza

If there’s no room in the rotation, especially with early off-days eliminating the need for a fifth starter until April 10, the Orioles can return him to their bullpen to provide coverage for multiple innings. - Roch

The truth this the O's play 5 games in a row between March 30 and April 3rd.   So the fifth starter is need the first week of the season.

These guys are driving me nut?  Just NUTS!  What else do they have to do but report the information correctly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

We’ll only list four starters here since the Orioles don’t technically need a fifth until the third week of the season. - Joe Trezza

If there’s no room in the rotation, especially with early off-days eliminating the need for a fifth starter until April 10, the Orioles can return him to their bullpen to provide coverage for multiple innings. - Roch

The truth this the O's play 5 games in a row between March 30 and April 3rd.   So the fifth starter is need the first week of the season.

These guys are driving me nut?  Just NUTS!  What else do they have to do but report the information correctly.

Easy.... calm down. 

I don’t have the frustration you do but it isn’t that hard to see 5 straight days on the schedule with a game listed. 

I watched the game today. Was unimpressed with Wright. 1st inning he was pretty sharp. 2nd and third he was either missing a little like he was picking or missing a lot. Bounced 2 or 3 pitches, including the HBP. Yanked several pitches way left across his body. Couple hard hit ball knocked down by the wind or hit hard at people. Pitch count by innings was 14, 18, 20. I didn't keep track of balls and strikes.

Just look at this stupid  article written but Joe Trezza.

1) First he reports the O's do not need a 5th starter until the 3rd week of the season which could not be  more wrong.

2) Then he contradict himself by saying they only need 4 starters and then lists 5 starters at the bottom of the article .  Come on, Joe.  At least be consistent inside the same article.

3) Then he show incredibly bad judgement by saying the Ortiz will make the bullpen.   Why?   Does he watch or listen to the games?    Can he read a box score?  Ortiz has given up 8 runs in 5 innings this  spring after giving up 4 runs in 2.1 innings in his September callup.  He is about three days  from being sent the minors.

How am I supposed to have any faith is Trezza's reporting when I can't trust the facts he states, the consistency in his  writing or the baseball judgement that he apparently does not have.

AAAAgh.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-opening-day-roster-preview

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I watched the game today. Was unimpressed with Wright. 1st inning he was pretty sharp. 2nd and third he was either missing a little like he was picking or missing a lot. Bounced 2 or 3 pitches. Couple hard hit ball knocked down by the wind or hit hard at people. Pitch count by innings was 14, 18, 20. I didn't keep track of balls and strikes.

Thanks for raining on the parade. 🌧️ 😜

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Actually Meoli got it wrong as well. That’s 3 writers. 

Maybe they have inside info of a rainout the first Sunday in NY or they are using an opener.....

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Thanks for raining on the parade. 🌧️ 😜

Sorry. 😛 And I'm no scout, far from it. I just thought he looked tons better last Saturday vs. the Sox. Roch and Hyde sure talked him up. :noidea:

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I'm no expert, but Trezza says he didn't throw one last year. 

We do know that the O's weren't fans of cutters in year's past.

Trezza is wrong, statcast classified it as a slider but it’s the same or at least a very similar pitch to what he’s throwing now.

Look at the velocity and movement of the “slider” in 2015-2016 vs 2018. It averaged 84mph with more depth in 15-16, it was 89mph in 2018. 

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Sorry. 😛 And I'm no scout, far from it. I just thought he looked tons better last Saturday vs. the Sox. Roch and Hyde sure talked him up. :noidea:

I know with Wright to wait until the real games count by now. Would be nice for a pitching prospect to figure it out for once or not get hurt.

Is that too much to ask as an Orioles fan? 🙋‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Trezza is wrong, statcast classified it as a slider but it’s the same or at least a very similar pitch to what he’s throwing now.

Look at the velocity and movement of the “slider” in 2015-2016 vs 2018. It averaged 84mph with more depth in 15-16, it was 89mph in 2018. 

Can't trust what Trezza reports.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just look at this stupid  article written but Joe Trezza.

1) First he reports the O's do not need a 5th starter until the 3rd week of the season which could not be  more wrong.

2) Then he contradict himself by saying they only need 4 starters and then lists 5 starters at the bottom of the article .  Come on, Joe.  At least be consistent inside the same article.

3) Then he show incredibly bad judgement by saying the Ortiz will make the bullpen.   Why?   Does he watch or listen to the games?    Can he read a box score?  Ortiz has given up 8 runs in 5 innings this  spring after giving up 4 runs in 2.1 innings in his September callup.  He is about three days  from being sent the minors.

How am I supposed to have any faith is Trezza's reporting when I can't trust the facts he states, the consistency in his  writing or the baseball judgement that he apparently does not have.

AAAAgh.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-opening-day-roster-preview

Sorry to rain on wildcard's parade, but they don't need a 5th starter until the 3rd time through (April 11).

Those 5ish straight days are bookend by off days. So, to keep the top 4 guys on somewhat normal rest you can skip SP5 twice.

March 28th SP1, 29th Off day, 30th SP2, 31st SP3,  April 1st SP4, 2nd SP1, 3rd SP2, 4th SP3, 5th Off day, 6th SP4, 7th SP1, 8th SP2, 9th SP3, 10th SP4, 11th SP5.

Or am I somehow wrong like the 3 reporters.