Jump to content
Philip

Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mike Wright is going to be bad again. Change my mind.

Bad compared to the rest of the rotation or bad compared to actual major league pitchers?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing Mike Wright in the starting rotation to start the season will give me the same feeling of seeing Davis and Trumbo as regulars in the lineup.  That ship has sailed. Time to move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Seeing Mike Wright in the starting rotation to start the season will give me the same feeling of seeing Davis and Trumbo as regulars in the lineup.  That ship has sailed. Time to move on. 

They have alternatives to Davis and Trumbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They have alternatives to Davis and Trumbo.

We don't have alternatives to Mike Wright?  I rather see Means, Rogers, or Ynoa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We don't have alternatives to Mike Wright?  I rather see Means, Rogers, or Ynoa. 

I'd take any of the three over Wright in the rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd take any of the three over Wright in the rotation.

I thought Wright had performed well this ST but looking at his numbers, he has an artificially low ERA. WHIP is at 1.42 and batters are hitting .306 off of him. 

The three other candidates have all out pitched him based on WHIP and BAA and only Means has a lower K rate.  It's all over a very small sample size but if it's an open competition, he is losing. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

I thought Wright had performed well this ST but looking at his numbers, he has an artificially low ERA. WHIP is at 1.42 and batters are hitting .306 off of him. 

The three other candidates have all out pitched him based on WHIP and BAA and only Means has a lower K rate.  It's all over a very small sample size but if it's an open competition, he is losing. 

 

 

Small sample sizes can give you false hope in a player.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Small sample sizes can give you false hope in a player.  

I'm not sure I understand your point.  I already acknowledged the small sample size. 

If it's an open competition and we are looking at several starters with a similar mediocre ceiling, I expect the Spring Training performances would be a major determining factor on who gets the rotation spot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.  I already acknowledged the small sample size. 

If it's an open competition and we are looking at several starters with a similar mediocre ceiling, I expect the Spring Training performances would be a major determining factor on who gets the rotation spot. 

 

And what players have options remaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And what players have options remaining.

Do we really need to be playing option games with a 29 year old pitcher who has been up and down with the team since 2015?  If the new regime believes in his stuff/ability then he will get the first chance at the fifth starter spot.  Otherwise, I don't see it.  They aren't invested in him as DD and Buck were. 

The bullpen is still an option for keeping him, but It would not surprise me at all if he is released.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Do we really need to be playing option games with a 29 year old pitcher who has been up and down with the team since 2015?  If the new regime believes in his stuff/ability then he will get the first chance at the fifth starter spot.  Otherwise, I don't see it.  They aren't invested in him as DD and Buck were. 

The bullpen is still an option for keeping him, but It would not surprise me at all if he is released.   

I'd be fine either way, just pointing out that remaining options are a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd take any of the three over Wright in the rotation.

I hope they don’t read too much into Wright’s ST numbers. I’m glad he’s had success but put the guy in the pen. Teams last year showed how valuable relievers can be. I don’t need to see Wright get rocked in Toronto game 4. Again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I hope they don’t read too much into Wright’s ST numbers. I’m glad he’s had success but put the guy in the pen. Teams last year showed how valuable relievers can be. I don’t need to see Wright get rocked in Toronto game 4. Again. 

So put him in the pen because relievers are valuable, but you don’t want to see him rocked in game 4?     

Wright hasn’t been good either as a starter or a reliever in the past.    If one judges that he has made some adjustments and may improve, I’m indifferent whether we give him another chance as a starter or in the pen.   It depends on who else is available.   If one judges that his spring numbers are illusory, DFA him.    He’s not going to help our pen if that’s true.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • These have become so important for me. While we are not where we should be, we are definitely seeing some success in the lower levels and that is exciting.
    • Mountcastle hit his 22nd home run today, and more importantly (apparently), walked for the third time in his last 4 games. .312/.342/.521.
    • I was speaking in a general sense.  
    • He’s not on the 40.   He’ll need to be in it in December.  
    • For Immediate Release: August 18, 2019   PITCHING STAFF TOSSES EIGHT SCORELESS IN WIN KEYS SCORE FIVE UNANSWERED TO TAKE SERIES FINALE FREDERICK, MD – After a rocky first inning, the Frederick Keys (20-33, 49-73) pitching staff kept the Fayetteville Woodpeckers (31-25, 62-63) off the scoreboard, earning a 5-3 victory on Sunday afternoon at Nymeo Field. Cole Billingsley broke a 3-3 tie with a bases loaded double that brought home a pair of runs in the sixth inning. Scott Burke (2-2) and Zach Matson (S, 1) then locked down the final four innings as the Keys gave up just one hit after the first inning. Tied 3-3 in the sixth, Will Robertson hit a single to lead off the inning and Jean Carrillo hit a double off the left-field wall a batter later. Parker Mushinski then allowed a walk which drew controversy from the Fayetteville dugout, as Woodpecker’s hitting coach Jason Kanzler was ejected arguing balls and strikes. Billingsley then came to the plate and grounded a ball down the first base line, bringing a pair of runs home to give the Keys a 5-3 lead. Burke retired the first seven he faced out of the bullpen but lost control in the eighth inning. He walked three straight Woodpeckers as Matson was called upon to put out the fire. With the bases loaded and one-out, Matson forced a groundball to third that caught the lead runner at the plate and then struck out the final batter to end the inning. Burke did not allow a hit nor a run over 2.1 innings. Matson polished off the final 1.2 frames and gave up one hit. The first inning resembled yesterday’s seven run opening frame for Fayetteville, as Cameron Bishop struggled to command the ball. He allowed a base hit and walked two batters to load the bases for Miguelangel Sierra, who cleared the bases with a double to give the Woodpeckers a 3-0 lead. Bishop rebounded nicely after that. He walked three batter but did not allow a hit or a run over the next four innings while he finished with five strikeouts. The Keys offense went to work in the third inning. After Mushinski retired the first two batters of the inning, he put two men for Robert Neustrom, who cracked a double to the right-centerfield gap that scored both runners. An inning later, the Keys were able to tie the game 3-3. Robbie Thorburn’s double put runners at second and third and Mushinski then walked a batter to load the bases. Clare then hit a sharp groundball to third baseman David Hensley, who couldn’t handle it cleanly, allowing the tying run to cross. The Keys have an off-day on Monday before opening up a three-game homestand against Potomac on Tuesday, August 20. RHP Blaine Knigjht (1-9, 5.73) takes the mound for Frederick against LHP Nick Raquet (10-8, 4.13) for Potomac. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00pm with pregame coverage starting at 6:45pm on the Tune In app and frederickkeys.com. The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League’s Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com. www.FrederickKeys.com-                          
    • I realize Im a "come lately" on this post, and I also realize a teeny weenie sample size is really nothing to get too excited about...but man, that kid has a good arm. I spoke to Palmer off the air and he told me EVEN if the gun was jacked up, he was easily throwing 98  with some movement. And he showed poise and smarts. Palmer's quote"really early, but I was impressed. That was an easy windup and he surprised me with that kind of velocity. Kid has a great arm."...Please...baseball Gods...Let SOMETHING BE GOOD going forward this year!
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...