Sign in to follow this  
AceKing

Two Feet and Robotic Umps....

Not sure if I missed a thread on this, but these crazy rules are Actually Happening this year, in the Atlantic League.

Robotic Umps.

No mound visits.

3 batter minimum.

Moving the pitching rubber back TWO FEET

Abolishing the SHIFT

Bigger Bases

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/mlb-announces-agreement-to-experiment-on-rule-changes-in-independent-atlantic-league.html#comment-1518227

This should be fun to watch, whether you are a fan of these crazy rules or not.  They are moving the Mound back 2 feet after the All Star break, so they can see the direct effect of 62’6” pitches.  (Should have a great effect on pitch movement, etc.)

I think I want Robotic Umps...

• Upvote 2

Wow!

May as well contribute 2 cents to the debate:

Robotic Umps... Yay! Why not let them see what we see, or get out of the way altogether.

No mound visits... Hmm, I think at least catcher conferences to clarify or change signs, settle the pitcher, etc. should stay part of the game.

3 batter minimum... Okay, why not. Will have the biggest impact on pace of game.

Moving the pitching rubber back TWO FEET... Seems radical, but the rationale makes sense--every couple of decades, to compensate for increased FB velocity.

Abolishing the SHIFT... Yep, the way it's s'posed to be.

Bigger Bases... Seems an overreaction... just because of Manny?

• Upvote 1

Shift shouldn't be abolished. You as a player and team are supposed to DO BETTER. So sick of the wussification of the world. Don't like the shift? Don't hit the ball where the 6 million people are. All the other stuff is just fluff and won't improve the game, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

They should make the bases softer not bigger.  There have been more issues with them being rock hard. 

6 hours ago, AceKing said:

Not sure if I missed a thread on this, but these crazy rules are Actually Happening this year, in the Atlantic League.

Robotic Umps.

No mound visits.

3 batter minimum.

Abolishing the SHIFT

Bigger Bases

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/mlb-announces-agreement-to-experiment-on-rule-changes-in-independent-atlantic-league.html#comment-1518227

This should be fun to watch, whether you are a fan of these crazy rules or not.  They are moving the Mound back 2 feet after the All Star break, so they can see the direct effect of 62’6” pitches.  (Should have a great effect on pitch movement, etc.)

So yeah, some of these ideas are interesting and worth investigation (other than moving the mound back which is dumb), but by implementing them all at once you cloud any type of usable data you'd get about the effect on pace of play, run environment, etc. 

Also, a little off topic, but I hear all the time people saying that young people don't like baseball and the solution is less HR and Ks and more balls in play. But I haven't heard any kid say anything like that, kids love big velocity and moonshots. What kids want is more personality in the game, more swagger, and probably less people complaining about the state of the game in broadcasts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

So yeah, some of these ideas are interesting and worth investigation (other than moving the mound back which is dumb), but by implementing them all at once you cloud any type of usable data you'd get about the effect on pace of play, run environment, etc. 

Also, a little off topic, but I hear all the time people saying that young people don't like baseball and the solution is less HR and Ks and more balls in play. But I haven't heard any kid say anything like that, kids love big velocity and moonshots. What kids want is more personality in the game, more swagger, and probably less people complaining about the state of the game in broadcasts. 

Too many K’s make them less special.  Also more ball should in play gives you more opportunities for spectacular plays.   I agree with your point re reducing home runs.  

On doing this all at once not making sense, part of doing so is probably to encourage fans to come out to the games by promoting all the differences. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Agreed! There is a reason Ken Griffey Jr. was basically the face of the MLB in the 90's when it came to promotions and stuff. Aside from being a great player, he had a personality and it was built up. Who doesn't remember watching him hit dingers with his hat turned backwards?

8 hours ago, AceKing said:

Robotic Umps.

No mound visits.

3 batter minimum.

Abolishing the SHIFT

Bigger Bases

I sure don't.

15 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Agreed! There is a reason Ken Griffey Jr. was basically the face of the MLB in the 90's when it came to promotions and stuff. Aside from being a great player, he had a personality and it was built up. Who doesn't remember watching him hit dingers with his hat turned backwards?

Pretty sure that never happened, except in batting practice.   

The rule changes are stupid. The entire game of baseball has been based But more than that they aren’t productive. The problem isn’t length of game(and pitch clocks have been shown to have no effect on game length anyway) but excitement. We need more baserunners. 60’6””. 90’. Sheesh

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I sure don't.

I don’t either. Besides, the umpires union would burn down stadiums if the attempt were made.

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

I sure don't.

I’d be in favor of robot umpires, if it’s proven that they’re significantly more accurate than humans.     I hate seeing a really terrible call in a key situation, or certain players who always get the benefit of the doubt.    

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I don’t either. Besides, the umpires union would burn down stadiums if the attempt were made.

I just wish they'd leave the game alone. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1