Sign in to follow this  
Rene88

Will Araujo Make The Team?

He only needs 17 days but is he really worthy of a spot on the 40 man? He has had an awful spring (ERA over 10+)

What say you?

I got to think his spot is dependent on what is on the waiver wire...

12 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

He only needs 17 days but is he really worthy of a spot on the 40 man? He has had an awful spring (ERA over 10+)

What say you?

I got to think his spot is dependent on what is on the waiver wire...

Depends on if Elias and Sig think he has any future with the team. They have no allegiances to Araujo and will cut him loose if they think that is the best move.

I don't think you miss even a slight chance he may be good in the future for 17 meaningless days in a guaranteed losing season. Protect your assets.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I don't think you miss even a slight chance he may be good in the future for 17 meaningless days in a guaranteed losing season. Protect your assets.

Is he an asset?

17 minutes ago, scOtt said:

What if we need to drop somebody from the 40 man who we think is more valuable than Araujo?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What if we need to drop somebody from the 40 man who we think is more valuable than Araujo?

Why would we need to do that?  Araujo is already on the 40-man.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s the wrong question.   The question is, does it seem likely that in a year or two he’d be one of our best 7?    If so, you put him on the roster for 17 days and then put him in the minors where he belongs.    But if you think it’s highly questionable that he’ll be one of our best 7 in the future, then sayonara.   I’m certainly in no position to judge this.

He's a middle reliever with poor command and one above average pitch.  I don't see the upside. Guys like him grow on trees. He's 25 years old.  Not some hot prospect we need to protect.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Why would we need to do that?  Araujo is already on the 40-man.

If someone appears on waivers or one of the non-roster guys impresses enough to make the team. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, scOtt said:

This is where I come down too. 

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is he an asset?

Not today...two years with different minor league coaching?  Don’t know...but am willing to risk having a guy who is a bit worse than the other bad relievers for 12 days. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Not today...two years with different minor league coaching?  Don’t know...but am willing to risk having a guy who is a bit worse than the other bad relievers for 12 days. 

It isn't the 12 days I'm concerned about.  It's the spot on the 40.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Arajuo belongs on the 40 man. Plus the debate is more about Arajuo versus Smith Jr or Wilkerson. Alberto either makes the team or gets DFAd for Escobar IMO. We have to add Perez or Sucre. So who do we drop?  Arajuo, Wilkerson, or Smith Jr. I’d drop Arajuo. He doesn’t have an MLB fb. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats

• I missed the last inning. Did Sucre provide demonstrative encouragement and critiques of his own pitches?
    • DJ Stewart should be up. He looked good last season and he is a better outfielder than Mancini.  Really I don't think management has a clue about baseball.
    • o   Hess held it together for 4 shutout innings before the White Sox got to him in the 5th.     15 OUTS: ) 5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 2 Foulout, 2 Lineouts   DAVID JAMES HESS  ))))))) (FINAL NUMBERS) IP:ll5 H:lll 5 ))(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles) R:llll 4 BB:ll2 SO:ll3 Pitches: )l 76) (47 )Strikes, )29 )Balls) 2019 ERA: )l 5.88  )  26.00 IP  (17 ER) 2019 WHIP: )l 1.231  )  26.00 IP  (32 H/BB) 2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .250  )  (25 for 100)   PITCHES BY INNING ******************* 10 ll(71 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls) 14 ll(91 llStrikes, lll51 lllBalls) 15 ll(91 llStrikes, lll61 lllBalls) 51 ll(31 llStrikes, lll21 lllBalls) 32 ll(19 llStrikes, l13 llllllBalls)   o
    • They miss Wieters behind the plate.
    • o   Hess held it together for 4 shutout innings before the White Sox got to him in the 5th.     15 OUTS: ) 5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 2 Foulout, 2 Lineouts   DAVID JAMES HESS  ))))))) (vs. WHITE SOX, 4/22) IP:ll5 H:lll 5 ))(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles) R:llll 4 BB:ll2 SO:ll3 Pitches: )l 76) (47 )Strikes, )29 )Balls) 2019 ERA: )l 5.88  )  26.00 IP  (17 ER) 2019 WHIP: )l 1.231  )  26.00 IP  (32 H/BB) 2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .250  )  (25 for 100)   PITCHES BY INNING ******************* 10 ll(71 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls) 14 ll(91 llStrikes, lll51 lllBalls) 15 ll(91 llStrikes, lll61 lllBalls) 51 ll(31 llStrikes, lll21 lllBalls) 32 ll(19 llStrikes, l13 llllllBalls)   o
    • No pitchers with elite stuff, track record of performance, and desirable delivery/measurables. I think Lodolo is probably the top pitcher, I like him better than Singer last year, but doesn’t really have TOR upside, he’s 92-95 lefty with sink, slider, curveball, change. Throws strikes, lots of GBs, avg command. Slider is a new pitch and gives him a chance to miss more bats. Other potential top pitchers drafted are Alek Manoah who is an extra large human, 93-98, plus slider, developing change, has had command and consistency problems but has really improved as the season has progressed. Was pretty much projected as a reliever at the beginning of the year, but has shook that label.  Jackson Rutledge who is a JUCO guy with command issues but a huge frame and huge stuff, he’s t100, he’s kind of a Nate Pearson clone.  Zach Thompson who is a lefty who  was kind of falling down draft boards until he sat 94-96 this past weekend with a plus curveball. His stuff is so inconsistent, it’d be a hard sell for me before 20 overall. George Kirby who doesn’t have anything plus, but is polished, with a bunch of average to 55 grade pitches and potential above average command. Then my favorite, Seth Johnson, who has a best mechanics of them all IMO, converted SS, has pitched one year since middle school. 91-96 t98, plus slider, high spin curveball, change. Poor pitch-ability and below average command, but like I said he’s literally just started pitching. He could be 4 plus pitches with successful development. The lack of track record could be viewed as a plus or a minus.  Those are the top college arms, the high school class has depth but doesn’t have anyone I’d be excited about taking in the top 15 overall.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now