Going Underground

Good article on all the analytic hires for the Orioles

B-b-b-but, Joe Trezza wrote it!    Surely it must be a terrible article!

Seriously, nice bit of digging by Trezza.     That’s by far the most detail we’ve gotten on Mejdal’s progress to date, and what he’s done in that short amount of time is impressive.    I’d love to hear more details on what they’re doing, but I doubt Mejdal is giving that away.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

B-b-b-but, Joe Trezza wrote it!    Surely it must be a terrible article!

Seriously, nice bit of digging by Trezza.     That’s by far the most detail we’ve gotten on Mejdal’s progress to date, and what he’s done in that short amount of time is impressive.    I’d love to hear more details on what they’re doing, but I doubt Mejdal is giving that away.    

Before

Baltimore’s three-person analytics team ranked among the smallest in the sport in 2018. By the time the calendar turned, only one developer, Di Zou, remained employed. 

After

In the four months since their front office turned over, the Orioles have buoyed their analytics team with four new full-time staffers, increasing the department’s size five-fold in that span, MLB.com has learned. The group is also aided by a handful of highly skilled interns, swelling the department to nearly a dozen members.

• Upvote 1

Mejdal said he received upwards of 700 resumes for the two analyst positions and 500 for developer roles.

Who says no one wants to work for the lowly Orioles?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

For anyone who does not know much (like me) about Edgertronic cameras mentioned in this article, here is a very nice summary with a video example of Trevor Bauer and a comparative video of spin efficiency measurement, etc. 

https://www.sporttechie.com/edgertronic-cameras-are-the-tech-transforming-baseball-by-accident/

As Spock would say, "Fascinating."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

Mejdal said he received upwards of 700 resumes for the two analyst positions and 500 for developer roles.

Who says no one wants to work for the lowly Orioles?

Think how many applications a good franchise must get!

• Haha 2