Sign in to follow this  
Going Underground

'This is not two separate camps':

Another good article by Meoli. Good to see Trezza and Meoli writing some nice articles. Not the crap you get from the MASN writers basically about nothing. Those were the same MASN writers who used to write the Orioles have enough scouts,analytics and everyone was on the same page. Funny how they talk differently now. But understand why.  

A decade ago, Orioles major league camp literally had the entire state between their spring home in Fort Lauderdale and the minor leaguers on the west coast of Florida at Sarasota's Twin Lakes Park.

It's only a few miles of interstate highway and a couple of turns between Ed Smith Stadium and Twin Lakes now, but Orioles manager Brandon Hyde — a veteran of spring trainings at complexes where everyone was together — has gone out of his way this spring to try to make it feel like there was no distance at all between the major and minor leaguers.

"I thought it was important to have some of the guys who were not in big league camp to start with spend a day here, kind of see the environment, listen to our coaches, watch a big league game, just kind of get the feel of what's happening, because we're separate here," Hyde said. "So, for them to come over here ... it's just tying the organization together, and kind of getting everybody on the same page to create the organization that we want to create, to have buy-in from everybody. For me, it's important to have guys see what's going on here that normally don't get to."

Such unity in message and idea is vital for an undertaking the size of what Elias and Hyde were left with. In some instances, that unity had been lacking before the new regime’s arrival. The fractured nature of the Orioles' baseball operations was at times overstated, but the push and pull between manager Buck Showalter and his loyalists, and executive vice president Dan Duquette clouded some decision-making processes.

"It's nice to have recognition to say, 'Your job is important, and you're with us,' ” Moore said. “This is not two separate camps where the minor leagues might be in Fort Lauderdale. We're together, and that to me is important, but it's also just really refreshing."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-brandon-hyde-coaches-20190314-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

No reason for it to be two separate camps, because they are all minor league quality players. 😀

Serious note, I like that Elias and Hyde are pushing for organization wide buy in rather than the good old boys club Buck was running.   

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

No reason for it to be two separate camps, because they are all minor league quality players. 😀

Serious note, I like that Elias and Hyde are pushing for organization wide buy in rather than the good old boys club Buck was running.   

Return back to the Orioles Way with an analytics upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Natty said:

The Orioles are indeed two separate camps. 

Chris Davis.  The rest of the team.  

Couldn’t have said it better myself. The barometer, IMO, for just how different things will be under the new FO is how Davis is handled should he repeat his 2018 act. 

11 hours ago, Natty said:

The Orioles are indeed two separate camps. 

Chris Davis.  The rest of the team.  

Another thread derailed with irrelevant Davis talk.  

• Upvote 2

The Orioles haven't been in Ft. Lauderdale in how long?  And DD and Buck are gone. As much as I like the new FO, etc. I don't like the perspective this was written from.