Jump to content
weams

The Season Has Started

Recommended Posts

I hadn’t realized the games in Japan were this soon.    Very cool to see Ichiro out there after all he did for the sport internationally.    Amazing player.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I posted about this on the MLB forum.

The grandest day of the season is opening day, and to have opening day in another country, in the middle of our night, when no one’s paying attention except a very few people in Oakland and Seattle, and all of Japan, is beyond foolish.

I would love to watch some of that game, because I followed both teams and I’m a big fan of each era, but it was sleepy time in Texas.

Meanwhile, the Mariners are very welcome to Tim Beckham. If he makes them happy, good for them. Something tells me that he will have his month, and then…

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Philip said:

 I posted about this on the MLB forum.

The grandest day of the season is opening day, and to have opening day in another country, in the middle of our night, when no one’s paying attention except a very few people in Oakland and Seattle, and all of Japan, is beyond foolish.

I couldn’t disagree more.   The purpose of these games is to bolster interest in MLB in Japan, and I’m sure it did.    That’s a small price to pay for having two teams change their usual routine.    The fans of the other 28 teams are hardly affected at all.   As an Orioles fan, why do I really care if Oakland and Seattle already had their Opening Day?     I’m focused on ours, not theirs.    And both teams can still play what in effect is a home opener once they’re back.    

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I couldn’t disagree more.   The purpose of these games is to bolster interest in MLB in Japan, and I’m sure it did.    That’s a small price to pay for having two teams change their usual routine.    The fans of the other 28 teams are hardly affected at all.   As an Orioles fan, why do I really care if Oakland and Seattle already had their Opening Day?     I’m focused on ours, not theirs.    And both teams can still play what in effect is a home opener once they’re back.    

It is silly to try to increase interest somewhere else by decreasing it here, Especially because it won’t increase Japanese participation, simply because our games are in the middle of their night. We have diminished the impact here without meaningfully increasing it anywhere else.

Opening day is for all of baseball, not just two teams. And It’s just not smart to have opening day In the middle of the night. 

And how do you think the guys in Seattle and Oakland feel? They play two real honest to gosh games, and then go back to spring training routine for another week...Or they do something, but it can’t possibly be anything but a major distraction.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is silly to try to increase interest somewhere else by decreasing it here, Especially because it won’t increase Japanese participation, simply because our games are in the middle of their night. We have diminished the impact here without meaningfully increasing it anywhere else.

Apparently MLB disagrees with you about the relative impact, or they wouldn’t be doing it.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

Apparently MLB disagrees with you about the relative impact, or they wouldn’t be doing it.   

Yes, I disagree with almost everything Manfred has done, Starting with taking the All-Star game from Baltimore and giving it to San Diego. He is a horrible commissioner and nothing he has done has improved the game, so yes, you are correct. The guy who makes the decisions disagrees. That certainly doesn’t mean he’s right, or even reasonable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, I disagree with almost everything Manfred has done, Starting with taking the All-Star game from Baltimore and giving it to San Diego. He is a horrible commissioner and nothing he has done has improved the game, so yes, you are correct. The guy who makes the decisions disagrees. That certainly doesn’t mean he’s right, or even reasonable.

It was done several times before Manfred was Commissioner.     https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_games_played_outside_North_America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is silly to try to increase interest somewhere else by decreasing it here, Especially because it won’t increase Japanese participation, simply because our games are in the middle of their night. We have diminished the impact here without meaningfully increasing it anywhere else.

Opening day is for all of baseball, not just two teams. And It’s just not smart to have opening day In the middle of the night. 

And how do you think the guys in Seattle and Oakland feel? They play two real honest to gosh games, and then go back to spring training routine for another week...Or they do something, but it can’t possibly be anything but a major distraction.

Baseball should be doing everything is can to increase interest in the sport around the world. It's great that they're reaching out to the Japanese market, which is more into baseball than the American market.  They need to continue to do outreach not only to Japan, but to Korea, Taiwan, Mexico, Europe, Australia, and other places.  They need to figure out ways for domestic leagues to thrive, and not just as feeding grounds for the Majors.  Baseball will be in a far better place if there are high-level leagues in ever more countries.

Tying this event in with Ichiro is even better, he's an excellent ambassador for the game and the most successful cross-Pacific player ever.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...