Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Elias inculcating the analytics approach with the MiL pitchers

Seriously though....I love what they are doing. It will take time but Elias has an impressive mind and overall vision and it's clear he knows how to organize and implement a plan. I am very excited to watch how this rebuild goes. 

• Upvote 2

Houston last year saw its Triple-A Fresno team rank sixth in its league in ERA at 4.27 and first in strikeouts. The Astros’ Double-A Corpus Christi team was first in ERA at 3.44 and in strikeouts. The high Single-A Buies Creek club was first in ERA at 3.07 and in strikeouts. The low Single-A Quad Cities club led its league in ERA at 2.86 and rated first in strikeouts. Houston also had similar success with its short-season clubs.

Wow.

• Upvote 3

I want to see our strikeout numbers go up over time and it’s not just going to be this year,” he said. “Because part of it involves who you are drafting. But that was part of a four-year effort to harmonize our pitcher acquisition and pitcher development. And it’s very difficult to achieve. I don’t know if we can replicate that level of success because of the competitive environment. But we had every single pitching coach on the same page using the same philosophy. The scouting department was doing it and the results were effusive.”

• Upvote 2

Thanks for sharing the article. We heard so many times that there was going to be a new version fo the "Oriole Way", but it seems we ended up with a Buck Way, a DD Way, A Brady Way, etc., etc. That all stemmed from Angelos IMO (hiring the manager first, no linear chain of command, reluctance to give any one person authority, etc.). It would be fantastic if Elias can really make this happen over the next few years. 

• Upvote 1

One line from the article struck me as particularly positive:

" Some of the minor league pitchers told me that the club has a development plan in place for each pitcher. "

• Upvote 3

By the way, I have never used the word "inculcate". I'm not sure I've seen that word more than a few times. Frobby should get a Thesaurus gold star for the day! :)

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

By the way, I have never used the word "inculcate". I'm not sure I've seen that word more than a few times. Frobby should get a Thesaurus gold star for the day! :)

I thought long and hard about using that word!   Per Webster’s:

Inculcate: to teach and impress by frequent repetitions or admonitions.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought long and hard about using that word!   Per Webster’s:

Inculcate: to teach and impress by frequent repetitions or admonitions.

I went to dictionary.com to check. I was like 75% sure what it meant. 😛

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats

• Just a curiosity I heard a clip in a silly vid. So NSFW I can't even post the vid cuz of the title. I did have that New Medicine vid disappeared from The Suck thread on the main page yesterday... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcrexKS8kxA  
    • o   (APRIL 23rd)   Orioles win. Red Sox lose ........ TWICE !!!   o
    • An extra update on Grover, from Roch: "Grover recovered from an oblique injury suffered late in camp and was dominant in his outings at extended spring training. He didn’t allow a run in eight innings, walking three batters and striking out an astounding 22. A slow-climber with his fastball velocity, Grover dialed it up earlier than usual this year. I’m told that his heater averaged 95 mph and topped out at 100 mph. There’s room for more."
    • o   The topic is whether or not players on the Orioles would be on another Major League roster if they were not here, and you opined that Bundy would not be when I said that Dwight Smith Jr is playing well enough to at least be a 4th outfielder on a lot of other teams. Bundy's splits going through the opposition's order the first time this season is inordinately better than when he goes through it a second time, save for his last start when he was effective the 2nd and 3rd times through. There is plenty of room on other MLB rosters besides the Orioles for a pitcher whom is capable of pitching well for 2 or 3 innings, just as there is room for other MLB teams that could use Dwight Smith Jr as a 4th outfielder on their roster.   o
    • I'm not telling anyone how to raise their kids.  I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that if a kid can't handle a normal city atmosphere that it might be a good idea if they were exposed to that more.  Or not.  Just stay in the suburbs and avoid the city environment at all costs.   I was really just comparing my experience.  Me and plenty of my friends and family have been to the stadium dozens if not hundreds of times and have had zero issues involving our personal safety.  There is perception and there is reality.  There is also culture shock.  Which I sympathize with.  But only one way to get over that.     
    • I don't have the data to back this up, but what I've observed leads me to believe the following: 1.  An MLB team's "attendance" is built largely, and increasingly, on the sale of season tickets. (Keep in mind that what we refer to as attendance doesn't reflect the number of fans that pass through the turnstile. It's the number of tickets sold.) That's especially true of "full" season tickets, covering all 81 games, and less true of multi-game ticket packages. 2.  It's a lot easier to sell season tickets in cities where there are (a) large numbers of (big professional service firms (law firms, accounting firms, management consulting firms, etc.) that are prepared to spend on client entertainment and (b) lots of wealthy individuals. Before the Nats arrived, the Orioles did pretty on the first part by attracting season ticket holders from Washington's stable of large service firms. Now they are far, far behind three of their division rivals on both scores, with no hope of closing that gap. 3. Many season ticket buyers (and again, I'm talking about full season tickets) make their decisions to buy, including their decisions whether to hang on to existing full season tickets, well in advance of the season. Those decisions are made based on someone's (and maybe not a very knowledgeable someone's) sense of how the team shapes up for the coming season and how much interest its games will generate among clients, employees and friends. A couple of bad seasons, when season ticket holders see that clients and friends aren't eager to go to those games, will drive away season ticket buyers. If the team performs better than expected, or is more exciting and entertaining to watch than was expected, it's very hard to sell enough tickets on a game-by-game basis to replace those lost season ticket holders.  4. Selling season tickets to the 2018 and 2019 Baltimore Orioles can't have been easy. the same will be true for at least a few more years.
    • Bundy average 90.7 mph on his fastball in his last start.  His fastball speed just keeps going down. We have seen this before from other players with shoulder issues.  And we know how it ends.  It is a shame as I had high hopes for Bundy.
  • Popular Contributors