Sign in to follow this  
Triple Crown

Diaz injury?

Hoping  for the best, but today at minor league camp, Diaz was hit on the foot and struggled getting off the field. It would really stink if he ends going on the IL or DL  whatever they're calling it these days to start the year. McKenna was also hit on the foot prior to Diaz, a lefty throwing down and in sliders, but he seemed fine. McKenna did homer to the opposite field, that was nice to see.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Triple Crown said:

Hoping  for the best, but today at minor league camp, Diaz was hit on the foot and struggled getting off the field. It would really stink if he ends going on the IL or DL  whatever they're calling it these days to start the year. McKenna was also hit on the foot prior to Diaz, a lefty throwing down and in sliders, but he seemed fine. McKenna did homer to the opposite field, that was nice to see.

Well, Diaz really needed to go back to AA for the third year in a row.

Top prospects generally repeat levels right?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When you're right, you're right. Who needs to pay attention to that pesky context when you want to cherry pick?

Never mind the fact that in any other organization, he would go to AAA other than the Orioles. The AAA outfield is pretty full with the new organization trying to get full evaluations on older players than him.

He hit .293 combined at AA. Him hitting for less average, but more power while at Bowie really doesn't mean much in a smaller sample size after trade. 

Combining all that with the fact that the new organization is clearly slowing down promotion timelines to control players longer.

But hey, he's an Oriole prospect so he must not be good.

2 hours ago, Spl51 said:

When you're right, you're right. Who needs to pay attention to that pesky context when you want to cherry pick?

Never mind the fact that in any other organization, he would go to AAA other than the Orioles. The AAA outfield is pretty full with the new organization trying to get full evaluations on older players than him.

He hit .293 combined at AA. Him hitting for less average, but more power while at Bowie really doesn't mean much in a smaller sample size after trade. 

Combining all that with the fact that the new organization is clearly slowing down promotion timelines to control players longer.

But hey, he's an Oriole prospect so he must not be good.

Do you think that none of the other teams would have gone North with him?  Zero?  Not even the Giants?

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What Diaz is at AA?  Really Elias needs to go.

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

I'd say you're making a fool of yourself with comments like this, but that ship sailed a long time ago. 

Elias will be fired in 4 years and the Orioles will still be in last place.  The announcers on ESPN today were talking about how Elias' plan isn't going to work anymore.  They said back when the Astro's started rebuild there were like 5 teams with big analytics departments and now just about every team has huge departments.   Elias is going to fail.  He was bad at drafting with the Astros. But I guess in 4 years when the Orioles are still a laughing stock and Elias is fired it won't be any good to be proven right.  

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

Elias will be fired in 4 years and the Orioles will still be in last place.  The announcers on ESPN today were talking about how Elias' plan isn't going to work anymore.  They said back when the Astro's started rebuild there were like 5 teams with big analytics departments and now just about every team has huge departments.   Elias is going to fail.  He was bad at drafting with the Astros. But I guess in 4 years when the Orioles are still a laughing stock and Elias is fired it won't be any good to be proven right.  

I'd love to see that huge crystal ball you have. BTW, most ESPN people are idiots.

10 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Every air-tight argument begins "announcers on ESPN" said. 

They seemed quite knowledgeable and insightful during today's game. You haven't made any points in this thread. You are just using ad-hominem attacks.  First against me and then against ESPN announcers.  Come back when you have something to say.  

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, atomic said:

I'd have to say you are in a pretty sad place as an O's fan.   As O's fans we know the present is going to be tough.  But most of us have hope that Elias/Hyde can build a contending team over the next 4 years.  That makes the present bearable.  

But if you really believe the Elias will fail and the next 4 years will see no progress than ..... well if it were me I would find something else to do with my interest.   Go golfing.  Travel.  Anything to find something else to put some joy in my life.   But that is just me.

If you enjoy losing and the thought of the team making no progress and still want to spend your time on the Orioles then God bless you.   I couldn't do it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'd have to say you are in a pretty sad place as an O's fan.   As O's fans we know the present is going to be tough.  But most of us have hope that Elias/Hyde can build a contending team over the next 4 years.  That makes the present bearable.  

But if you really believe the Elias will fail and the next 4 years will see no progress than ..... well if it were me I would find something else to do with my interest.   Go golfing.  Travel.  Anything to find something else to put some joy in my life.   But that is just me.

If you enjoy losing and the thought of the team making no progress and still want to spend your time on the Orioles then God bless you.   I couldn't do it.

I have plenty of joy in my life and I do travel.  Spent 2 weeks in Ireland a week in Paris and a week in Aruba in the last 9 months.  I do plenty of things. I go to the park every day.  Swim, Hike many a mountain. Go to art museums, zoos, amusement parks I hope you travel and you have things to enjoy in your life. I watch most Capitals games. Do not complain about the players or how they are coached or managed.  

I hope your live isn't so sad that you think all I do is think about the Orioles.  Is following the Orioles all you do?  Try and tell me that you are going to enjoy watching Orioles games this year?  

How do you think you will feel when in 4 years the Orioles have made no progress.  Do you think it encourages players who should be in the majors get sent back to AA?    Really rules should be changed so the things Elias and the Orioles are doing can't happen anymore.  And I am sure when the new collective bargaining agreement comes out there will be plenty of discussion about it. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

I have plenty of joy in my life and I do travel.  Spent 2 weeks in Ireland a week in Paris and a week in Aruba in the last 9 months.  I do plenty of things. I go to the park every day.  Swim, Hike many a mountain. Go to art museums, zoos, amusement parks I hope you travel and you have things to enjoy in your life. I watch most Capitals games. Do not complain about the players or how they are coached or managed.  

I hope your live isn't so sad that you think all I do is think about the Orioles.  Is following the Orioles all you do?  Try and tell me that you are going to enjoy watching Orioles games this year?  

How do you think you will feel when in 4 years the Orioles have made no progress.  Do you think it encourages players who should be in the majors get sent back to AA?    Really rules should be changed so the things Elias and the Orioles are doing can't happen anymore.  And I am sure when the new collective bargaining agreement comes out there will be plenty of discussion about it. 

Great post.  I am happy for you.    

MLB baseball is not a fair and balanced sport.  The big money team in the big markets have a big advantage.     So in the big picture of the sport  I think anything the  rest  of the teams have to do to compete is fair game.    If Elias' experience tells him that he needs to retain his best player for 7 years then he should do it.  If he knows that 2019 is going to be a losing year  and he do not want to waste this best prospects service time in 2019 then he should do it.  If that means keeping players in the minors a little long then do it.

As far as being fair to the fans,  I think most fans understand how hard it is for the Orioles to compete with the wealth of the Yankees and Red Sox.  I think most O's fans support the O's doing what the can to make the team competitive for a 5 year window sometime  in the future.  Even if they have to wait three or four years before the window beginnings.  Its better than not being able to compete at all with he big money teams.