Aristotelian

Hyde's Decisions 2019

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

It wouldn't be.  Not everything needs to have significance.  

Apparently.  :)

Can't give anymore rep, but....yeah, you've got enough already :) 

I'll get him for ya. 

Just now, weams said:

in fact very few things do. Chance and fortune have much more to do with outcomes or futures. 

Annie Savoy? Weams?  Who are you right now?

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand where you're coming from, and I know I'll get blasted for this (I also really don't care) but to me, 95 mph is 95 mph.  And if that 95 mph pitch is coming on the 85th pitch in the 7th inning with a comfortable lead...or if that 95 mph pitch is coming on the 85th pitch in the 5th inning...they still threw 85 pitches in a game and were hitting 95.  The only difference is that in the first instance, he's gotten more rest between innings.  

A 12 pitch battle with Mike Trout and a runner on third, I would argue, is more mentally taxing than physically taxing.  It takes a lot more mental energy and strength to bear down and keep attacking in that situation, way more than a 4 pitch at bat that results in a strikeout.  But as I said, if that 85th pitch is coming in the 5th or 7th, 95 is still 95. 

Yeah, I'm not really up in arms or anything about the decision, but I do have to point out that mental energy is, in fact, energy and contributes to physical fatigue. At least my high school bio teacher would say so. 

Annie Savoy? Weams?  Who are you right now?

I was in New Orleans Yesterday. So who really knows. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can't give anymore rep, but....yeah, you've got enough already :) 

Took care of that for you.   This thread is off the rails!

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I think there was probably an "80ish" pitch limit.   Tony pointed out in the game thread that he had never gone over 65 in spring training.    And he threw 42 pitches on Thursday.

The last out of the 6th and first out of the 7th was hard hit.   There was also a pitch in that first at bat in the 7th where he missed Sucre's target by so much that Sucre gave him a funny look..   I think that was all a factor.

I think by the time he got to the 7th approaching 80 pitches, they knew there was no way he was going to go 9.   So it became a matter of when to yank him.   And waiting for fate to make the decision by allowing a hit rather than making the best decision for Hess isn't how the new Orioles are going to operate,.

I agree.  And I think it was certainly best for Hess.  And as I mentioned, I had forgotten the Thursday pitches......And....Even if it had cost us the game, I still would think that.  Which it almost did because Hyde had to have a pretty good idea that Araujo was likely not going to be as good as Hess was even at 80 pitches.   And that is ok too. 

But the new Orioles drove Mychal Givens arguably past anything he did in the spring or in his career....was that truly what was best for Givens?  I am not sure it was...it was best to try to win that game. 

I don’t think second guessing the manager means anybody here ever wants our guy to get hurt just as I don’t think pushing Givens maybe too far meant we didn’t have his interest in mind.   Because it is still unpredictable...he could tear something on pitch 81 rather than 82. 

The question that is impossible to answer is if Hess only went one inning Thursday then what would have happened tonight?  What is his pitch count then?

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Yeah, I'm not really up in arms or anything about the decision, but I do have to point out that mental energy is, in fact, energy and contributes to physical fatigue. At least my high school bio teacher would say so. 

That's interesting, and I'd agree.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

And Moose. I was talking life not just the baseball. Taking the wrong turn or going home to change shirts is often more relevant to the future than a planned series of actions. 

in fact very few things do. Chance and fortune have much more to do with outcomes or futures. 

How can that be true when Chance is in the minors?  C'mon weams, catch up!

• Upvote 1

Tell you what...I'm pissed. If you aren't something is wrong with you. But I get it. He pitched opening day, he's young, he wasn't going to make it. But still disappointing. I wont agree with anyone that doesnt say pitch 90-120 is all adrenaline without any basis on future, it might be his only chance. And if he gives up 1 hit soon he's gone. But good win 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The question that is impossible to answer is if Hess only went one inning Thursday then what would have happened tonight?  What is his pitch count then?

85, 90? Not too many more. 

Oh man, that's a good time.  Day drinking followed by Cafe Du Monde beignets the following morning.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

How can that be true when Chance is in the minors?  C'mon weams, catch up!

He doesn't have that Big Dempsey Energy.