Aristotelian

Hyde's Decisions 2019

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also shows nice conviction IMO that Hyde went ahead and made that move. Unpopular, but certainly plenty of justification for it. And he didn't deliberate with it. 

• Upvote 3

Hyde made the right decision, and I think most big league managers would do the same thing.

Im sure Hyde and Hess had a private meeting last night behind closed doors and I suspect Hess will be fine, and I dont expect him, in the heat of the moment to be thinking long term health, either.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Also shows nice conviction IMO that Hyde went ahead and made that move. Unpopular, but certainly plenty of justification for it. And he didn't deliberate with it. 

Shame the pen couldn't maintain the no-no.

Brings back memories of the 3 pitcher no-no that the Birds threw against the As.

Just now, hoosiers said:

Honestly, the complaints about pulling Hess last night are some of the worst, ill-founded criticism regarding a game related move since I've been at the Hangout - since 2002.  

If folks can't get understand that this season is about player development, then they can miss the boat.  It will leave without them.  

How far up the risk ladder should the Os go in placing individual accomplishment over player health?  I wouldn't even get on the first step on that ladder and it appears our FO is in sync with that.  

The haters will hate, regardless of whom does whom to what.

We know this is going to be a long season.

But, dangit, 3-1 and taking the series against the Stankees, should have people doing the Happy dance.

The fans were vocal, they wanted change.

Ownership gave them change, and now its time to let them show us they can or cant do the job.

Until then, watch and enjoy what we can.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Shame the pen couldn't maintain the no-no.

Brings back memories of the 3 pitcher no-no that the Birds threw against the As.

Four.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Four.

Thanks, I stand correct.

My memory is getting old on me.

I remember that game, I caught it on the radio, and it was pretty incredible.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thanks, I stand correct.

What I want to know is which one of the four you forgot?

I admit, I was all over Hyde in the game thread but had forgotten that Hess was on short rest. If anyone is to blame, I suppose it is Cashner for failing to make a quality start.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thanks, I stand correct.

Milacki was also involved in another amazing game that year, a 3 hit shutout of the Twins in which he faced the minimum 27 due to four DPs and a CS. I was there because my friends dad was a Twins fan.

I get the argument to leaving Hess in. It's a lost season, most don't think Hess is a big long-term piece (though he could be a serviceable back-end starter). A no-hitter would be the highlight of the season BY FAR. On an emotional level it would make sense to leave him in, but it would be a big risk with little reward as he still needed eight outs. It's not like he was just a few outs away.

I also understand the argument that he was at 82 pitches, but this early in the season, players are often on lower pitch counts as they continue to ramp up. He also threw 42 three days prior. I can see the argument for extending him an extra 20 pitches to 100, but does 20 pitches get you through 2 2/3 innings? Not likely.

All in all, I would have liked to see Hyde manage to keep the no-hitter after Hess left and tried for a combined no-no. That would have meant someone other than Arujo, but I don't really see that the decision making was egregious. The likelihood of getting a no-hitter with Hess (or combined with the better bullpen arms) was slim so I don't really have a problem with him not straying from the process to try and make it happen.

I have to question bringing in Hess to pitch out of the pen opening day, when he had a scheduled start coming up. But then again, Hyde knows our bullpen is pitiful...5 runs last night.