Aristotelian

Hyde's Decisions 2019

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Think he will be optioned soon? He didn't look good in the Spring or his first two outings. Didn't seem to be fully healed or trust himself to throw like he usually does.

Does he have an option left?

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a good point. I liked everything I saw last night on how everyone dealt with the situation. Hess gave his thoughts, Hyde though smiled, understood like a good leader does, but ultimately made the call he felt was best for all involved. 

The fact that he knew he only had three relievers available really, and two were Araujo (AA guy at best right now), post surgery Bleier (who has been hit around), and Wright (Had already pitched in 2 of 3 games) and it took even more gumption to pull him at 82-pitches.

I think the interesting question to have asked Hyde was not why he pulled Hess.  Hell as a manager he was playing with house money.  My question would have been what were you planning to do if Hess got shelled in the second?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You could always put him on DL and give him a rehab assignment. 

38 minutes ago, foxfield said:

***We haven't even gotten to the long stretches of consecutive games without off days.  Me thinks we need to hang on.  It could get a little bumpy from here.

Oh, there will be TONS of thing to criticize this team and management for. Trolling to get this fanbase upset while leading the league is not  particularly interesting to me right now.

I assume that is how fans of the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Nationals would be wanting to spoil on about our fantasy start. 

Maybe we are not winning "well" enough. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I believe so. I saw an article about him possibly being optioned last season, but he wasn't and got hurt, so he should still have that one.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think the interesting question to have asked Hyde was not why he pulled Hess.  Hell as a manager he was playing with house money.  My question would have been what were you planning to do if Hess got shelled in the second?

It probably is a question for Elias too, right? 

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I believe so. I saw an article about him possibly being optioned last season, but he wasn't and got hurt, so he should still have that one.

You use up your option if you are in the big leagues for the season.  So just because he had an option last year and didn't use it doesn't mean he has one this year.  A player has 3 option years once put a team's 40 man roster. 

1 minute ago, theocean said:

It probably is a question for Elias too, right? 

Well it's safe to say the answer included multiple innings of Araujo.  But it would have been interesting to hear the answer to that...from either Elias or Hyde.

7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If he can be he should be.  Frees up a man on the 25 and gives him a chance to get his stuff back.

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

You use up your option if you are in the big leagues for the season.  So just because he had an option last year and didn't use it doesn't mean he has one this year.  A player has 3 option years once put a team's 40 man roster. 

This is false.  An option is used in a year that the player is on the 40-man roster and spends at least 20 days in the minors during the season.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well it's safe to say the answer included multiple innings of Araujo.  But it would have been interesting to hear the answer to that...from either Elias or Hyde.

I think Pedro has to take three for the team. As well as hess while being shelled. And then someone gets DFA or optioned after the game. 

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Also, it was mildly reminiscent of when Chris Tillman pitched 6 innings of no-hit ball in the 2nd game of the season in 2011, and was removed from the game.

Tillman was at 101 pitches, plus the game was tied (as opposed to the Orioles having a 6-run lead in last night's game when Hess departed) ........ but the similarities are that is was a young Oriole pitcher being removed from a game without having given up any hits at an extremely early portion of the season (April 2nd.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA201104020.shtml

2011's Near No-Hitters

(Sports Illustrated Staff)

https://www.si.com/mlb/photos/2011/06/162011s-near-no-hitters#2

CHRIS TILLMAN, ORIOLES

The 22-year-old right-hander lost his no-hit bid without giving up a hit. After six innings of no-hit ball against the Rays, Tillman ...... who threw a no-hitter last April while in Triple-A ...... was pulled by manager Buck Showalter because of his pitch-count. Reliever Jeremy Accardo then gave up a two-out single to B.J. Upton in the seventh to end Baltimore's hopes of a combined no-hitter.

o

Forgot about that one.   Good pull!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he can be he should be.  Frees up a man on the 25 and gives him a chance to get his stuff back.

I’m seeing Bleier has an option left. Nothing wrong with letting him go down and throw in a couple of milb or simulated games.