Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Next two games should be hard on the O's offense

We’ll see.    Stroman had a good spring (2.19 ERA), including a good start against us, and is generally a good pitcher (110 ERA+ career).    Shoemaker had a so-so spring (5.00 ERA) and is generally a so-so pitcher (100 ERA+ career).    They both had excellent starts against a weak hitting team.    We are no juggernaut either, but our offense has had a decent start.   So, I won’t assume these guys will dominate us.  

If we’re indexing to most recent accomplishments, perhaps their pitchers should be worried about our offense? Averaging 6 runs per game during the current 3-game winning streak (including wins over the Yankees’ Paxton and Happ). 

• Upvote 2

In 7 total AB vs the two of them, Villar has 2 HR.  (one off of each)

I'm sure they are likely to do better than the guy who went last night.

We'll see.

Our offense has consisted of three guys, Smith, Villar, and Mancini. One good game by Nunez, Sucre and a big homer by Joey Bats. The rest, meh.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ll see.    Stroman had a good spring (2.19 ERA), including a good start against us, and is generally a good pitcher (110 ERA+ career).    Shoemaker had a so-so spring (5.00 ERA) and is generally a so-so pitcher (100 ERA+ career).    They both had excellent starts against a weak hitting team.    We are no juggernaut either, but our offense has had a decent start.   So, I won’t assume these guys will dominate us.  

1 minute ago, OldNewGuy said:

Our offense has consisted of three guys, Smith, Villar, and Mancini. One good game by Nunez, Sucre and a big homer by Joey Bats. The rest, meh.

Yeah, a few guys need to turn it on a bit. Mullins, in particular, would be a big boost. Davis is hitless, Martin has one hit and looks like he'll basically be a non-factor at the plate this season (which is fine), and Ruiz is hitting .200 (but has looked competent up there IMO). 

How much is the team willing to get out of SS? Is a .150 ba, sub 500 OPS enough? Is this why they are hanging on to Alberto? Martin looks lost at the plate. Pitchers throwing 91 mph fastballs by him. It is a big jump from AA to big league regular. Especially for a guy not on his former teams 40 man.

6 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

How much is the team willing to get out of SS? Is a .150 ba, sub 500 OPS enough? Is this why they are hanging on to Alberto? Martin looks lost at the plate. Pitchers throwing 91 mph fastballs by him. It is a big jump from AA to big league regular. Especially for a guy not on his former teams 40 man.

I was thinking last night, could Martin have a worse offensive season than Davis last year if they keep running him out there? Personally, I could not care less because I love his glove. He pretty much saved the game last night on that liner off Bleier. 

But it's an interesting question.

6 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

Its not an issue as long as the team keeps winning.  When they lose for a while it could become an issue.

48 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

If we’re indexing to most recent accomplishments, perhaps their pitchers should be worried about our offense? Averaging 6 runs per game during the current 3-game winning streak (including wins over the Yankees’ Paxton and Happ). 

Yes, I'm not sure how they've slept at all the past couple nights 😉

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I was thinking last night, could Martin have a worse offensive season than Davis last year if they keep running him out there? Personally, I could not care less because I love his glove. He pretty much saved the game last night on that liner off Bleier. 

But it's an interesting question.

Could he?  Possibly, sure.

Just seems a bit premature to worry about after four games.

Stroman dominated us in the spring. He dominated us last year. I'm scared of him. 

I think Alberto starts at SS tonight and Jackson starts at 2B.

In theory, nearly every game should be hard on the Orioles' offense. Despite early results, this is not a good offense.

• Upvote 1