Going Underground

Long lines at security checkpoints frustrate Orioles fans at home opener

14 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Reading through this thread makes me sort of sad....when I was a kid and a young adult you just went in at Memorial Stadium.   No screen shots, no WiFi not working, no bag searches, no lines keeping you out of the park,,  no Clearme technology....Get a ticket, walk through the turnstile....that was it.   

Technology has helped us in many ways, but in many ways, the experience of our activities has worsened as a result.   Either way it certainly makes going to the Yard MUCH less appealing. If I had come all the way in from out of state where I live and then couldn’t get in till the third inning...that would have been my last game attended for quite a while. .  

I agree. It sounds like the main issues were the ticket app and the bag check. I don't understand why they don't have more options for checking "tickets". Any business should make it easier on their customers, not harder. As for the bag checks I probably shouldn't start. It's next to useless but they have to put on a show. It's mainly done for economic interests anyway.

I think back to the Memorial Stadium days sometimes. Then my kids call me an old geezer and I realize they are right. And my Parents and Grandparents were right too. Sometimes things don't change for the better.

So no WI-FI yet at Oriole Park. I have problems getting a signal with a small crowd. I don't think it helps if most people have to use a phone app basically at the same time all trying to get a signal to enter the gates.  Won't be a problem for the remaining games,or maybe  very few.That being said ,most of the Oriole employees are so nice and helpful. I have had a problem with one of the bigger higher ups but most are great.

Thank you for contacting the Orioles.

Our WIFI project is underway and we hope to have announcements regarding those improvements later this season. We are diligently working with the Maryland Stadium Authority to complete this project as soon as possible for our fans to enjoy while at the ballpark. We are confident that you will not have any problems accessing your digital tickets, but if you do encounter issues we would be more than happy to assist you at our box office.

Thank you for your support of the Orioles!

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Coolers were not just for the folks who brought alcohol.  We always went as a family and had our own sandwiches, drinks etc.  Double headers against my father's favorite team the Cleveland Indians.  I hated the smoke, and everyone seemed to smoke.  Dad did not but mom did.

You can still bring in a decent sized cooler.    Heck, the ones the O’s give away can hold 3-4 drinks and a sandwich or two.    

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So no WI-FI yet at Oriole Park. I have problems getting a signal with a small crowd. I don't think it helps if most people have to use a phone app basically at the same time all trying to get a signal to enter the gates.  Won't be a problem for the remaining games,or maybe  very few.That being said ,most of the oriole employees are so nice and helpful. I have had a problem with one of the bigger higher ups but most are great.

Thank you for contacting the Orioles.

Our WIFI project is underway and we hope to have announcements regarding those improvements later this season. We are diligently working with the Maryland Stadium Authority to complete this project as soon as possible for our fans to enjoy while at the ballpark. We are confident that you will not have any problems accessing your digital tickets, but if you do encounter issues we would be more than happy to assist you at our box office.

Thank you for your support of the Orioles!

It's amazing that in this day and age they don't have Wi-fi. A friend of mine has a Company that installs Wi-fi in Hotels, Restaurants, etc. and it's not that hard.

When I was a kid, I remember going to Memorial stadium and it cost 75 cents to sit in the OF bleachers. Times sure have changed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

It's amazing that in this day and age they don't have Wi-fi. A friend of mine has a Company that installs Wi-fi in Hotels, Restaurants, etc. and it's not that hard.

They are the last in MLB when they get it. The Nats have had it since 2008. Have doubled the capacity over the years starting in 2013. . 

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

When I was a kid, I remember going to Memorial stadium and it cost 75 cents to sit in the OF bleachers. Times sure have changed. 

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

I remember walking up hills both ways in the snow in May. Newspapers on my feet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They are the last in MLB when they get it. The Nats have had it since 2008. Have doubled the capacity over the years starting in 2013. . 

I didn't know that, thanks. Now I'm just shaking my head. I shouldn't be shocked considering how slowly they have moved on other obvious things. Maybe Elias will get them moving into the Internet age.

Remember last year the Orioles hired some financial expert to help the team make more money. Pay toilets are next.😎

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I remember walking up hills both ways in the snow in May. Newspapers on my feet.

I do think sports tickets in general have increased in cost at a rate much higher than the general rate of inflation.    

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

You had feet, we didnt even have feet back then. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I didn't know that, thanks. Now I'm just shaking my head. I shouldn't be shocked considering how slowly they have moved on other obvious things. Maybe Elias will get them moving into the Internet age.

I think Wrigley was the last besides Oriole Park. . 

One of the biggest tech upgrades is taking place at the one of league's most beloved stadiums, Wrigley Field in Chicago. The first phase includes Wi-Fi throughout the stadium and is set to be completed in 2018. The second phase includes installing Wi-Fi at The Park at Wrigley, a 50,000-square-foot open-air entertainment venue adjacent to the stadium.

In 2008, when Cisco first installed Wi-Fi in AT&T Park for the San Francisco Giants, only 800 people used it during the entire season. Today, at all of the league's stadiums, at least 50% of fans use Wi-Fi during each game, said Ken Martin, general manager for Cisco's Sports and Entertainment Group.

"As a comparison, when the Giants played the Kansas City Royals in the World Series in 2014, both of them had our Wi-Fi and both of them had a unique deployment of Wi-Fi. Kansas City used overhead and handrail mounts, and at AT&T [Park in San Francisco] we'd done the under seat mounts," Martin said. At the time, there were 1,100 access points at AT&T Park and 750 at the Kansas City Royals' Kauffman Stadium.

"It allowed us to look at two very, very similar ballparks at the peak of the World Series," Martin said. "The performance at AT&T Park was almost identical to Kansas City. It was the same amount of users, the same concurrent users... It allows us to say there is not one specific way to do Wi-Fi. We have to leverage what's best in any particular venue."

In 2018, MLB plans to add augmented reality (AR) to its At Bat app. It will allow baseball fans to point their iPhone at the action on the field and see stats on how hard a ball was hit, how far it was thrown, or how fast a player runs in real time," Gould said.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/field-of-digital-dreams-why-mlb-is-betting-its-future-on-big-data-wi-fi-apps-and-ar/

• Upvote 1

I've fully embraced the paperless ticket system on the phones and its easier and quicker than the paper tickets. With that being said we had issues with our paperless tickets at the spring training game we attended earlier this year. The barcodes would not show up in the mlb ballpark app, (from ticketmaster). That was the first hiccup I've experienced, hopefully they have resolved the problem. Prior to that game, its been easy and painless.

As far as long lines at opening day, most people wait until 15 minutes before first pitch to leave the pubs and try and get into the game. Same thing happens before every Ravens game.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Considering they charge $16 for a beer at Nats Park, they should have free wi-fi.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Natty said:

Remember last year the Orioles hired some financial expert to help the team make more money. Pay toilets are next.😎

No. 

He is the COO, the decision maker for the business end for the Orioles.

Chief Operating Officer, Business Operations John Vidalin