interloper

Dan Straily 2019

Edit: 4/5/19 .. signs with Orioles
https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2019/4/5/18297337/orioles-sign-dan-straily-to-major-league-contract-per-source

Just released by the Marlins. 

30 yr old SP, 4.12 ERA last year in 122 IP. 

I'd certainly take this guy to chew innings. $5 M thru 2019 - not clear if Marlins would be on the hook or if we have to claim him.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/straida01.shtml

• Upvote 1

Made 33 starts in 2017, good for 181 IP. 

This seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm still not clear if we'd have to sign him or claim him. 

If we claim him I imagine we're on the hook for the rest of his salary.   Which still seems pretty cheap.

But I mean............

We also weren't willing to offer Gio Gonzalez a $3M contract apparently so............................I doubt we will be in on this, despite how much sense it seems to make.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

If we claim him I imagine we're on the hook for the rest of his salary.   Which still seems pretty cheap.

But I mean............

We also weren't willing to offer Gio Gonzalez a $3M contract apparently so............................I doubt we will be in on this, despite how much sense it seems to make.

Well that's certainly a good point. The "released" phrasing makes me think we'd just have to sign him for the minimum, but I'm not sure. Let's see what the MLBTR article says.

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

But I mean............

Gio has more question marks about his future, than the Strally, who is 3 years younger.

If Gio's already degrading, what would be left for him in 2 to 3 years? This team doesn't need somebody for 1 to 2 years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Gio has more question marks about his future, than the Strally, who is 3 years younger.

If Gio's already degrading, what would be left for him in 2 to 3 years? This team doesn't need somebody for 1 to 2 years.

Gio was worth over 2 WAR last year.   That is insane value for $3M.    If you're a rebuilding team..........imagine what you can with an insanely undervalued asset.......... that's worth at least $20M in extra international signing slots!

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Gio was worth over 2 WAR last year.   That is insane value for $3M.    If you're a rebuilding team..........imagine what you can with an insanely undervalued asset.......... that's worth at least $20M in extra international signing slots!

fangraphs is not too bullish on him:

Profile: 2017 seemed a bit off with a 1.50 point separation between Gio Gonzalez's ERA and SIERA despite a near two-point drop in fastball velocity, and 2018 served Gonzalez a plate of regression that is sure to discourage many for the upcoming year. Gonzalez's walk rate soared over 10% for the first time in eight years, his strikeout rate fell under 20% for the first time, and his 1.44 WHIP was its highest since 2009. His repertoire suffered greatly from a huge step back in his curveball, a pitch that routinely earned swings-and-misses held just a 9% swinging-strike rate last year, forcing Gonzalez to turn to his decent changeup more often as a put-away pitch. Without that big hook in his back-pocket, it will be tough for Gonzalez to return quality innings with a sub 90mph fastball and middling changeup and we may see Gonzalez go the way of James Shields and Ubaldo Jimenez shortly. (Nick Pollack)

I can certainly accept that there are advanced metrics showing that Gio is trending in the wrong direction.

And then I see Mike Wright.    

If I were betting which player is more likely to provide more value for 2019.......I know where I'm placing my bet.   If we had 5 better options than Gio / Straily then I would likely not care nearly as much.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

Made 33 starts in 2017, good for 181 IP. 

This seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm still not clear if we'd have to sign him or claim him. 

Seems like a no brainer to claim him and DFA Wright...