Jump to content
interloper

Dan Straily 2019

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Did they do that with Cobb last year?

No but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have. Perhaps Cobb told them he had been pitching and was ready. Obviously he wasn’t but that’s another issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Frobby said:

You have to take into account that he’s been pitching in a pitcher’s ballpark the last two years.   ERA+ of 93 and 89 those two years.    For an Orioles pitcher, that translates to about 4.75 ERA.    If we got anything below 5.00 from him, I’d be pleased.     As we found out last year with Cobb, it’s not easy to miss a big chunk of spring training and then pitch well in the majors.   

I agree ... I’d be delighted if he was a 4 ERA pitcher. I was responding to @Beef Supreme‘s post about him being a 5th starter best case. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Seriously? He's started 90 games over the last three years and has an ERA around 4.00 over that span. He's likely to be the 2nd best starting pitcher on the team and would be no worst than a 4th On most teams.

Then teams should have been lined up to sign him. Interest was limited to the three of the very worst MLB teams - Toronto, Texas and Baltimore. 

Thus, Straily is not even a #5 on "most teams." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree ... I’d be delighted if he was a 4 ERA pitcher. I was responding to @Beef Supreme‘s post about him being a 5th starter best case. 

 

I am not sad that they signed him. It's fine. I won't be happy or sad if he pitches to a 4.00 ERA or a 5.00. 

I will be happy if they trade him for something of value. But I doubt they would get much in terms of value in a July trade. He's just a placeholder, to me, and his stats this season mean little in my eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Then teams should have been lined up to sign him. Interest was limited to the three of the very worst MLB teams - Toronto, Texas and Baltimore. 

Thus, Straily is not even a #5 on "most teams." 

Just because only 3 teams were interested in a cut at the end of spring training doesn't confirm your theory. A number of things play into the decision making  at this point in the season in no particular order....teams filled holes already, wait period for him to clear waivers,  ramp up time due to inactivity, adding payroll, and the luxury tax threshold. I won't analyze every teams circumstances to try to figure it out. But other factors played a role. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort of hope Straily doesn’t start games for us because that means Hess and Means are holding down rotation spots. 

It looks like the Karns signing was a good one. Ease him back in a relief role this year, offer him arb at the end of the year, and he should be a SP for us next season. 

I don’t think Straily should be handed a spot in the rotation, but I also don’t think we have to worry too much about him getting starts with the way our starters have been getting pounded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I sort of hope Straily doesn’t start games for us because that means Hess and Means are holding down rotation spots. 

It looks like the Karns signing was a good one. Ease him back in a relief role this year, offer him arb at the end of the year, and he should be a SP for us next season. 

I don’t think Straily should be handed a spot in the rotation, but I also don’t think we have to worry too much about him getting starts with the way our starters have been getting pounded. 

One rookie starter at a time is enough.Means can do long relief until Cobb is dealt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

One rookie starter at a time is enough.Means can do long relief until Cobb is dealt.

Once Straily and Means establish themselves in the rotation, Bundy can move to the bullpen. Maybe he's be better in one or two inning doses if he knew that was all he had to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than a series with BOS, I think we’ll see our pitching staff settle down. Bundy included. We face some light hitting teams through April. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Just because only 3 teams were interested in a cut at the end of spring training doesn't confirm your theory. A number of things play into the decision making  at this point in the season in no particular order....teams filled holes already, wait period for him to clear waivers,  ramp up time due to inactivity, adding payroll, and the luxury tax threshold. I won't analyze every teams circumstances to try to figure it out. But other factors played a role. 

 

That's a fair assessment.

But there is no way I am buying into any theory that posits that Dan Straily has a "solid #3" starter the past few years. I think the "other factor" that played a role was Straily's mediocrity. :-)

PS I don't think any team was hindered from signing Straily because of luxury taxes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

That's a fair assessment.

But there is no way I am buying into any theory that posits that Dan Straily has a "solid #3" starter the past few years. I think the "other factor" that played a role was Straily's mediocrity. 🙂

PS I don't think any team was hindered from signing Straily because of luxury taxes...

Thanks! We can agree to disagree. But the Orioles competitive teams the few years would've gladly taken Straily and put him in the middle of their rotation. And they would've been better off for it. For his career he's averaged 33 starts at a 4.28 ERA. That's a number 3 for most teams! 

For the Orioles you'd be hard pressed to find more than 1 starter on the team who was better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks! We can agree to disagree. But the Orioles competitive teams the few years would've gladly taken Straily and put him in the middle of their rotation. And they would've been better off for it. For his career he's averaged 33 starts at a 4.28 ERA. That's a number 3 for most teams! 

For the Orioles you'd be hard pressed to find more than 1 starter on the team who was better.

But considering the current season, he wasn't ready at all in that relief appearance. Who knows how long it will take someone who has such middling "stuff."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Once Straily and Means establish themselves in the rotation, Bundy can move to the bullpen. Maybe he's be better in one or two inning doses if he knew that was all he had to do.

Are you actually expecting that to happen within the next month?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







  • Posts

    • 😅 🦄Richie Martin: FIRST BIG FLY BABAAAAAYYYY. Get 'em Richie. And off CC no less. Tacked on another single while he was at it.    Renato Nunez: Smacked a curveball into the CF seats for a 2-run shot. Got them back in the game. Alas, it was not enough to spur a rally. He did walk in this one, too, which is probably a good sign for that slump.    Hanser Alberto: RBI double. Hanser's line against LHP? .426/.426/.617/1.043  😳   Gabriel Ynoa: I'll give him some credit for pitching 2.1 and giving up just the 1 ER. It's an improvement based on his recent games. The team really needs him to give some quality long relief innings, and this basically counts. Not ready to give up on Ynoa yet.    🦄Branden Kline: Nice outing! He hit 98! Branden is hanging in there at the ML level and that's great. Maybe one of the more underrated good things to happen on the team this year. He still needs more innings before we can make a call, but he tossed 1.2 scoreless innings in this one against a potent lineup, and got 2 Ks. You know what? Unicorn for Branden.    Shawn Armstrong: LOL Mariners. It never gets old. 0.96 ERA since coming over.    Brandon Hyde: Proved he is not just Mr. Positivity. Did not mince words after this one. I would normally say Straily should be worried, but Hyde repeated that this is what they got. But he's not going to sit there and brush it all off - he voiced some displeasure and I applaud that. It's getting silly out there.    Mike Elias: Great interview recently which, if you've been feeling a little beat down lately, should provide some pep in your step. The win-loss record is what it is, but good things are percolating in the minors and in the front office. Stay the course!   Errors: 0   Yankees: Didn't score the last 4 innings of this one, at least. 
    • OK so let's ask the unspoken question that Elias will never openly admit to. Stewart started his ML clock last September, playing in 17 games. Taking that into account, how much longer does he need to stay down in Norfolk for us to get the extra year?     It shouldn't be much longer right?
    • One of BP's eyewitness guys ventured a "looks like Jered Weaver" comp on him, and tagged his windup as slow and deliberate, not that TTTP is as much of an organizational priority anymore.
    • If you told me my CF played elite defense, hit 25 dingers and had 40 SB I would say that's pretty spectacular.  List the guys who have done that in the last ten years. That said, I think he could end up being a weak version of a player Elias had in Hou, Jake Marisnick.
    • At the end of the day, you will most likely be disappointed with whatever the actual result is in the next signing period. I don't say that as a slight to you, really, just that there will still be a disparity between what actually occurs in their first actual year of entering this market and what we envision is possible. But whatever they do, it looks like it will clearly be the MOST they've done EVER. It doesn't mean it will be effective in terms of that turning into ML talent. But the progress toward that goal will be noteworthy, and their international efforts should only improve from that point on. 
    • When I talk to people about this who dont think it's a problem I always ask them if they are a parent, and what they would think if their son/daughter and a friend came home with a test.  The test is a ten question test and the friend got 7/10 questions right while their son/daughter got 8/10.  However when asked what the grade is the son/daughter got a B while the friend got an A.  That's major league baseball. And the analogy usually works to show people the absurdity of what has been deemed a competitively balanced system. Large market teams simply can make more mistakes and end up with better results. The Boston Redsox won the WS last year with over $80 million in dead money (Sandoval, Craig, Rusney Castillo).  That was more dead money than 4 teams were paying their entire payroll.
    • They only play the Yankees 8 more times all year, so that will help them not make it to 115 losses.  Hopefully they will have some opponents over the rest of the year that don't intimidate them as easily as the Yankees do.  Just imagine how badly New York would be beating the Os if they actually had even a reasonably healthy team.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...