interloper

Dan Straily 2019

OK-Going against the tide on this. Signe him for 1/5 mil.

This is a risk/reward situation for the O's.

Dan will not move the needle. Is Dan a great pitcher: NO. Is he a good pitcher. What is good?

RISKS: Pay/lose 5 mil for a year. Pitches worst in the A/L East. 

AWARDS: Has one more year of control for 2020. Could be traded at the deadline and then only cost 2.5 mil (approx.). Could/would allow the O's to trade Cobb and or Cashner easier.

For 2020 both Trumbo and Cashner's contracts are done. Cashner needs 207 inns for his option to vest. We have only two players contracts for 2020, with (at now) 35 mil payroll for the team in 2020. We have 11 players that are arbitration eligible for 2020. Villar , Bundy and Givens are the highest. Lastly I think it shows the team and the fans that we are trying to improve (small steps)

29 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

OK-Going against the tide on this. Signe him for 1/5 mil.

This is a risk/reward situation for the O's.

Dan will not move the needle. Is Dan a great pitcher: NO. Is he a good pitcher. What is good?

RISKS: Pay/lose 5 mil for a year. Pitches worst in the A/L East. 

AWARDS: Has one more year of control for 2020. Could be traded at the deadline and then only cost 2.5 mil (approx.). Could/would allow the O's to trade Cobb and or Cashner easier.

For 2020 both Trumbo and Cashner's contracts are done. Cashner needs 207 inns for his option to vest. We have only two players contracts for 2020, with (at now) 35 mil payroll for the team in 2020. We have 11 players that are arbitration eligible for 2020. Villar , Bundy and Givens are the highest. Lastly I think it shows the team and the fans that we are trying to improve (small steps)

Again, it seems unlikely to me that any team will offer him $5 million.  No team claimed him on waivers at a salary of $5 million.  Why would a team turn around and offer him that much when they passed on paying him that much a few days ago?  Just seems illogical to me.  Miami owes him $1 million or so for cutting him before the season after tendering him a contract.  I'm guessing he's offered $3 million or so.  Maybe 4.  Anything's possible, but I'd be surprised if any team pays him as much as they could already have gotten him for if they had wanted to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, andrewochs615 said:

Isn't he getting his 5 million from the Marlins since they just released him? If he signs a new deal does his 5 million go away?

I would think that whoever gets Straily just has to pay the minimum major league salary with the Marlins paying the rest.

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

Isn't he getting his 5 million from the Marlins since they just released him? If he signs a new deal does his 5 million go away?

His contract with the Marlins was not guaranteed, so they only had to pay him for 45 days. He is a free agent and can sign for anything.

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

No.  When an arb-eligible player is tendered a contract and the tender offer is accepted, as in this case, the team owes the player a percentage of the contract amount if they release the player prior to the season.  I think it is somewhere around 20 or 25%.  In Strally's case, the Marlins owe him somewhere around a million dollars or a little more, and he is free to sign with another team as a free agent.  Does anyone here know the exact percentage?

4 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

They only have to pay him $1.2 million, which is a percentage of his contract. The rest they get to keep. So 3.8 million would match what he would’ve gotten from Miami if he remained with them, so I presume that the offers are around there.

1 minute ago, fansince71 said:

Drew Jackson being designated.

Interesting. This is some pretty big stuff. I guess they thought Drew couldn't shake it.