WalkWithElias

Grayson Rodriguez 2019

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I heard a quote one time, I’m not sure who it came from but it was from someone in the scouting/front office community. It was during Justin Turner’s 2nd 5 WAR season and went something the effect of if Justin Turner turned into a 5 WAR player then the ceiling for everyone in the upper minors is one of the best players in the league. 

Basically when people say ceiling, they talk about reasonable ceiling, not absolute ceiling but absolute ceiling wouldn’t be particularly useful in distinguishing between players.

That said, if he’s truly holding 96-97, that obviously changes the profile and any ceiling assessment. Although Keith Law thinks the arm action doesn’t work so he’d still project significant relief risk. I don’t think I ever said #3 ceiling, btw.

I think a lot of evaluators hedge their bets when it comes to young starting pitchers and err on the side of average.  I don't recall a lot of guys being projected years out as #1 or #2's.

On 8/11/2019 at 11:17 AM, joelala said:

Sitting 96-97?! If so, that would be amazing.  He usually sits 91-93, no?  Anyone else see the game on Friday?  Cuz if he can sit even 94-95, gotta think the ceiling is higher than a #3...

Every time I looked at the radar after a FB it said 96/97.  I don't remember seeing many 95's and don't think I saw any 94's, but let's be honest I probably looked over at the radar reading 15-20  pitches or so.    My guess is gun was a little hot, but man did he make the glove explode.  We watched the first two innings behind visiting dugout, the kids came back after striking out shaking their heads and laughing.  We walked out to the deck that goes behind the fence at shorebirds stadium and the sound the glove was making on FBs was unreal.  I was most impressed by his curveball, it was missing bats by wide margin.  I don't recall seeing many change-ups.   It was very impressive.  He is a big boy

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he pitches when the Shorebirds are in Hagerstown August 23-25. I would make the trek for that.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a lot of evaluators hedge their bets when it comes to young starting pitchers and err on the side of average.  I don't recall a lot of guys being projected years out as #1 or #2's.

Not sure, but I think this is a bit of a cop out. I just think the standard for a #1/2 is very high. 

That said, before Law came out and questioned whether Grayson could hold his velocity, I think most evaluators would have said his ceiling is a #2. People listen to that guy. I'm not saying he's right, but he's no dummy regardless of what every fan base in baseball thinks of him. lol.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Not sure, but I think this is a bit of a cop out. I just think the standard for a #1/2 is very high. 

That said, before Law came out and questioned whether Grayson could hold his velocity, I think most evaluators would have said his ceiling is a #2. People listen to that guy. I'm not saying he's right, but he's no dummy regardless of what every fan base in baseball thinks of him. lol.

I think his twitter followers listen to him.

I don't think other evaluators pay him more attention than his peers.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think his twitter followers listen to him.

I don't think other evaluators pay him more attention than his peers.

Maybe not, but they don't dismiss him either. He's a legit talent evaluator. At least I think so. That doesn't mean he's always right. 

Sometimes I do think evaluators conflate current performance with ceiling though. A guy like Hall is a perfect example. I think his ceiling is a #1. Great athlete. Electric stuff. If it comes together, he could be special. I'd probably project him as a #2 at this point though because of the command/control (not that I'm qualified). Even that requires some growth. Others might not even go that high.

Just now, ShoelesJoe said:

GR pitching against Lakewood tonight. After three innings he’s given up no hits, no walks, no runs, and struck out six. 

And then he was pulled

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

And then he was pulled

After only 38 pitches. I wonder what happened. He has mostly been in the 80-90 pitch range.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hope that was planned.    Otherwise, could mean trouble.   What an outing!

Vespi hadn't pitched since the August 8th. Maybe wanting to get him work had something to do with it.

Sets up the drama of trying for a "hidden no-hitter" in the 1st inning of his next start.

I'm okay with innings conservation by mid-August 1st year out of high school, but think it will be interesting to see if they stick with that through the Sally postseason.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Sets up the drama of trying for a "hidden no-hitter" in the 1st inning of his next start.

I'm okay with innings conservation by mid-August 1st year out of high school, but think it will be interesting to see if they stick with that through the Sally postseason.

My guess is they’re taking into account that the Shorebirds are definitely in the postseason, and are saving some innings for that.