Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Ryan McKenna 2019

It seems like he's quit hitting again. He has 20 steals, plays good defense and leads the league in runs (or at least did), I have high hopes for him. We need a real center fielder.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I doubt it

You really think they are going to promote a guy hitting .233?

Elias has been very judicious with promotions.  McKenna will very likely be repeating unless he catches on fire over the last month. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

You really think they are going to promote a guy hitting .233?

Elias has been very judicious with promotions.  McKenna will very likely be repeating unless he catches on fire over the last month. 

He was promoted from Delmarva to Frederick with similar numbers. His OPS+ is actually higher than the league average, the Eastern League is a severe pitcher's league.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He was promoted from Delmarva to Frederick with similar numbers. His OPS+ is actually higher than the league average, the Eastern League is a severe pitcher's league.

I feel Elias really wants to see guys dominate a level.

If Hays and Diaz has to repeat Bowie this year so does McKenna. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I feel Elias really wants to see guys dominate a level.

If Hays and Diaz has to repeat Bowie this year so does McKenna. 

Hays was sent to Norfolk in spring training and Diaz was sent to Bowie because it was unlikely he’d be called up to the majors this season - instead they kept guys with MLB experience (Brugman and Williams) in the Norfolk OF.

I hope McKenna closes strong and makes it to Norfolk. He's good defensively, has 20 steals and is among the leaders in runs scored. I think he could hold his own there. I'd rather he spend 2-3 years in Norfolk than another year in Bowie. Watson should be there in 2022.

5 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I hope McKenna closes strong and makes it to Norfolk. He's good defensively, has 20 steals and is among the leaders in runs scored. I think he could hold his own there. I'd rather he spend 2-3 years in Norfolk than another year in Bowie. Watson should be there in 2022.

It depends a little on who else is in Norfolk.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It depends a little on who else is in Norfolk.    

I think it will be McKenna, Diaz, Mullins and some AAAA journeyman.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I think it will be McKenna, Diaz, Mullins and some AAAA journeyman.

Nah, it should be Hays, Diaz, some AAAA journeyman, and maybe Mullins. Diaz put up better numbers across the board at Bowie last year than McKenna currently has and Elias still had him repeat the level. Plus Hays hasn't performed well enough to be promoted and he needs to play CF every day. 

10 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Nah, it should be Hays, Diaz, some AAAA journeyman, and maybe Mullins. Diaz put up better numbers across the board at Bowie last year than McKenna currently has and Elias still had him repeat the level. Plus Hays hasn't performed well enough to be promoted and he needs to play CF every day. 

Diaz was in Bowie because there was no intention of him being used in Baltimore this season, not because of his performance in Bowie last season.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Diaz was in Bowie because there was no intention of him being used in Baltimore this season, not because of his performance in Bowie last season.

Also, the offensive standards for a center-fielder are lower than those of a right-fielder. And Diaz was a year younger than McKenna will be next year. And Diaz was not yet on the 40-man roster, which McKenna will be next year.

If Hays plays center for the Orioles, I think it will be Mullins in left, McKenna in center and Diaz in right at Norfolk with Rifaela backing up.

If Hays is in Norfolk, I'd guess Hays, McKenna and Diaz as starters with Mullins or Rifaela as the fourth outfielder.