Sign in to follow this  
RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

I was just looking through some of the Norfolk box scores and noticed that so far Mountcastle has started 3 games at first base and 1 game at DH.  Should we assume at this point the third base experiment is over?

I'd like for them to just stick him at 1B and let him get comfortable in one spot and have the bat carry him to Baltimore. By mid-season we should be ready to cut-ties and put Davis out of his professional misery. We should also be able to move on from Trumbo mid-year either by trade (while eating most the money) or release. I'd very much like to see Mountcastle and Mancini playing almost everyday at 1B or DH the last couple months.

28 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'd like for them to just stick him at 1B and let him get comfortable in one spot and have the bat carry him to Baltimore. By mid-season we should be ready to cut-ties and put Davis out of his professional misery. We should also be able to move on from Trumbo mid-year either by trade (while eating most the money) or release. I'd very much like to see Mountcastle and Mancini playing almost everyday at 1B or DH the last couple months.

I'd still rather see Mountcastle get some time in LF vs 3B when he's not playing 1B.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I suspect we won’t see Mountcastle in the majors this year.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree.  Based on the assignments out of Spring Training I kind of wonder if we see any of our "top prospects" in Baltimore this year.  Maybe Hays or Sisco since they already have some service time.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, he has to be put on the 40-man this offseason so we could see him in September. It's hard to say because I don't know how Elias likes to do things, but I wouldn't say it's not within the possibility that we see Mountcastle this year at some point. Now will we see him mid-year, doubt that unless he's really tearing it up and there is an opening and even then I don't really see the Orioles doing that.

I’m fine with him just playing 1B. 3B is really hard to play in the MLB. We’ve seen a guy like Ruiz, that has a great glove, struggle to make all the throws. 

We have a ton of OFs. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and maximize his value in LF, but at this point I say just let the boy eat, play 1B, and focus on hitting. 

I don't remember him doing this much last year, but saw some at bats this year and his pre-pitch hand/wrist movement is way too much. This leads to an inconsistent load and can lead to inconsistencies. I'm really surprised the Orioles coaches have not gotten him to quiet that down.

30 minutes ago, joelala said:

Am I the only one who's curious as to whether he could hold is own at second base?

Nope. I’ve mentioned it many times, but that ship has sailed if he’s playing 1B. At least, I’d call it unlikely.

14 hours ago, joelala said:

Am I the only one who's curious as to whether he could hold is own at second base?

I suggested it when they moved him to 3B way back when...obviously not in the cards for him.

14 hours ago, joelala said:

I would of liked to see them at least give it a try.  I wonder what his prospect status would look like today if he was playing solid second base with his bat.  Top 20? 10?

3 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would of liked to see them at least give it a try.  I wonder what his prospect status would look like today if he was playing solid second base with his bat.  Top 20? 10?

If he were average defensively I’d say definitely top 50 at least.