RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

I will apologize in advance because I know this has probably already been addressed, but what makes the most sense to do with him in terms of team control.  Would it make a difference if he started the season next year in Baltimore or if they waited a couple months to bring him up? Could they justify keeping him the minors again next season?

19 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I will apologize in advance because I know this has probably already been addressed, but what makes the most sense to do with him in terms of team control.  Would it make a difference if he started the season next year in Baltimore or if they waited a couple months to bring him up? Could they justify keeping him the minors again next season?

Under the current agreement, assuming he accrues no playing time this year, you only need to wait a few weeks before bringing him up next year to gain an entire extra year of team control.  There are many debates on the merits of doing this and whether it is worth it or not.

As far as justifying keeping him in the minors, you could always come up with some reason.  Want him to improve his plate discipline, want him to improve his defense, etc.  It's pretty obvious at this point that Elias and Co. are basically just trying use AAAA guys this year to get through a season without having many potential future pieces earn service time.  Whether that philosophy extends into next year remains to be seen.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I see Mount coming up next year and putting up Machado-like numbers offensively the next 5 years. I think his bat could be that good maybe better. I wasn't too high on him until this year. I'm not too worried about his walk rate or defense really.

That is one of the more impressive home runs you’ll ever see from a RHB in the minors.  Low, offspeed, 0-2.  It was in the middle of the plate but otherwise was a good pitch.  Very few hitters anywhere can hit that pitch out, let alone 440 feet.  Most just roll over on it.  He was clearly looking for that pitch and was able to smoke it despite it being ankle to shin high.  Damn.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, vatech1994 said:

That is one of the more impressive home runs you’ll ever see from a RHB in the minors.  Low, offspeed, 0-2.  It was in the middle of the plate but otherwise was a good pitch.  Very few hitters anywhere can hit that pitch out, let alone 440 feet.  Most just roll over on it.  He was clearly looking for that pitch and was able to smoke it despite it being ankle to shin high.  Damn.

He’s hit like 10, 0-2 HRs, it’s kind of amazing. 

I was pretty sure he was producing plus MLB exit velocities but that was just speculative until the trackman 110mph double yesterday. To put that in some context, that’s harder than a 219 MLB players have hit the ball all year.

• Upvote 2

romorr: Most Oriole fans love Mountcastle, but I can’t get over the 3-4% walk rate. He is 22, but isn’t that a harder skill to teach? Just worried he is going to have to hit .290-.300 to have a respectable OBP.
Keith Law: Unlikely he gets to the point he can be a regular. I know some people were angry I didn’t have him on my top 100, but he clearly didn’t belong between low on-base skills and lack of position.

9 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Still to be determined if his bat will play at 1B. Doesn't seem like the O's are interested in getting him much time in the OF. 

.317 / .343 / .527 / .870

I think the bat plays.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Why do people ask Law's opinion on Oriole prospects when they can come here and read Luke and Tony's candid, thorough, non-biased evaluations?

I find it worthwhile to absorb as much information as I can, even if there are some sources I value a lot more than others. 

8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

He leads the league in hits... by 15.  

It’s not that meaningful, in that a large number of AAA players don’t spend the full year there.   He also leads the league in at bats.    Among qualifiers (currently, 324 PA), he’s 6th in BA.   Still, no complaints here.  

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Why do people ask Law's opinion on Oriole prospects when they can come here and read Luke and Tony's candid, thorough, non-biased evaluations?

There’s a lot of benefit to hearing the views of scouting types who don’t focus so heavily on one team.   I hang on every word Tony and Luke say, but it’s also good to have the wider perspective.    And I don’t think Law’s views are that different than Tony’s and Luke’s, anyway.    

Lack of position? He could be a 1B, LF, 3B or DH. He is playing left quite a bit lately, or at least it seems that way when I check. I haven't read much about his defense in left. Is he better than Mancini?