Luke-OH

Mike Baumann 2019

The question is: Is Baumann now in the GrayRod, Hall group or is he still in the Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells group?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is he looking like more of a prospect than say Kremer or Akin?

He's ahead of both of them for me at this point. Kremer has disappointed me this year and Akin is looking more like a reliever. Baumann doesn't have much of change and will need more than just a slider to stick as a starter longterm, but he has a back end of bullpen reliever floor for me.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's ahead of both of them for me at this point. Kremer has disappointed me this year and Akin is looking more like a reliever. Baumann doesn't have much of change and will need more than just a slider to stick as a starter longterm, but he has a back end of bullpen reliever floor for me.

I’m cutting Kremer a lot of slack due to his oblique injury to start the year.    He’s been inconsistent, but he’s had his moments.    Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season and we can judge him then.   

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m cutting Kremer a lot of slack due to his oblique injury to start the year.    He’s been inconsistent, but he’s had his moments.    Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season and we can judge him then.   

I'm judging by what I've seen from him, not his numbers. His fastball is not generating the swings and misses that made me like him more than others. Now a see a guy with a 91-92 MPH fastball, a good curve, and a well below average change. 

The curve is a plus pitch, but I've seen him get barreled a lot more this year than I saw last year, especially the fastball. Maybe I just saw him really good last year, but I've been disappointed this year and I was higher on him than anyone else.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm judging by what I've seen from him, not his numbers. His fastball is not generating the swings and misses that made me like him more than others. Now a see a guy with a 91-92 MPH fastball, a good curve, and a well below average change. 

The curve is a plus pitch, but I've seen him get barreled a lot more this year than I saw last year, especially the fastball. Maybe I just saw him really good last year, but I've been disappointed this year and I was higher on him than anyone else.

A little out of my element here but the one time I saw him his fastball was sitting 92-94 and hit 95 a few times...assuming Bowie gun was right. His curve was great that night with 5-6 of 8 (I believe) K’s on it.

I’ll trust your judgement for the most part and understand one good start doesn’t make a pitcher but I came away impressed.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The question is: Is Baumann now in the GrayRod, Hall group or is he still in the Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells group?

I heard Grimsley bring up Baumann specifically yesterday as a guy he liked but he needed to better his change up to get lefties out in the MLB. I was higher on Kremer before I read Tony’s post about his stuff being down this year. Hoping Kremer’s early issues were injury related. With that being said I’ve been thinking the groups were,

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Group C (Back of Rotation/Swingman/reliever)

Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman, Baumann, Knight, Hanifee, Sedlock, Rom

Early on it’s looking like next year that NCAA SP will probably be the pick in the draft. Way too early, but it would be nice to add another TOR potential arm. 

On 7/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, Luke-OH said:

No, the ace comment is basically just saying that calling any prospect an ace is usually irresponsible.

This is how I see Baumann.

#3 SP ceiling if command ticks up another half grade and either the changeup improves considerably or the command of the curveball improves considerably.

My projection is a 50, which is a huge jump for him. That’s #4/high end #5 or a high end set up reliever. I think the high end relief is probably a better fit/more likely with no further development of the Change or curve.

The floor is middle relief if command is exposed against major league bats. 

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mike Baumann is thru 8 IP with his no-hitter. He hit 97 MPH in the 8th inning and using a 90-91 slider to dominate. He has 8 Ks thru 8 IP. This is a breakout type of performance.

Without you two, I'm not sure anyone who is not part of the organization would have any idea about the type of breakout year Baumann is having. You were early on this one.

Hopefully this breakout continues. It's hard to know in the relatively early stages whether he'll continue to grow, plateau where he's at now, or fizzle into something like a flash in the pan. It'll be fun to keep watching though.

45 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Without you two, I'm not sure anyone who is not part of the organization would have any idea about the type of breakout year Baumann is having. You were early on this one.

Hopefully this breakout continues. It's hard to know in the relatively early stages whether he'll continue to grow, plateau where he's at now, or fizzle into something like a flash in the pan. It'll be fun to keep watching though.

@justDhad us go to Frederick last season to watch both Lowther and Baumann. They impressed. 

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I heard Grimsley bring up Baumann specifically yesterday as a guy he liked but he needed to better his change up to get lefties out in the MLB. I was higher on Kremer before I read Tony’s post about his stuff being down this year. Hoping Kremer’s early issues were injury related. With that being said I’ve been thinking the groups were,

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman, Baumann, Knight, Hanifee, Sedlock, Rom

Early on it’s looking like next year that NCAA SP will probably be the pick in the draft. Way too early, but it would be nice to add another TOR potential arm. 

My guess is it's more like this:

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Baumann, Lowther, Hanifee

Wells, Zimmerman, Knight, Sedlock, Rom, Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Notes:
I could be too bullish on Hanifee/Lowther and not quite enough on Kremer.
I do agree that Harvey is a total wildcard though.
I'd argue Sedlock is a wildcard too, and could see his ceiling as mid rotation starter, though with a sort of low probability.

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Give me one more stud performance like the one last night and he'd for sure be in the GrayRod, Hall group for me.

32 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Give me one more stud performance like the one last night and he'd for sure be in the GrayRod, Hall group for me.

Another complete game no hitter? J/k

It will take a lot for him to be in that group. There is an ocean in between them and the rest of the pitching prospects in the org. Age and stuff are on their side. 

But it’s hard for me not to have Baumann at the front of the next group. Lowther and Wells just don’t have the fastball to easily project to big league success. If Baumann and Akin can be a 3/4 combo in a rotation, then we’re starting to build something. 

• Upvote 1