Jump to content
Luke-OH

Mike Baumann 2019

Recommended Posts

The question is: Is Baumann now in the GrayRod, Hall group or is he still in the Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells group?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is he looking like more of a prospect than say Kremer or Akin?

He's ahead of both of them for me at this point. Kremer has disappointed me this year and Akin is looking more like a reliever. Baumann doesn't have much of change and will need more than just a slider to stick as a starter longterm, but he has a back end of bullpen reliever floor for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's ahead of both of them for me at this point. Kremer has disappointed me this year and Akin is looking more like a reliever. Baumann doesn't have much of change and will need more than just a slider to stick as a starter longterm, but he has a back end of bullpen reliever floor for me.

I’m cutting Kremer a lot of slack due to his oblique injury to start the year.    He’s been inconsistent, but he’s had his moments.    Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season and we can judge him then.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m cutting Kremer a lot of slack due to his oblique injury to start the year.    He’s been inconsistent, but he’s had his moments.    Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season and we can judge him then.   

I'm judging by what I've seen from him, not his numbers. His fastball is not generating the swings and misses that made me like him more than others. Now a see a guy with a 91-92 MPH fastball, a good curve, and a well below average change. 

The curve is a plus pitch, but I've seen him get barreled a lot more this year than I saw last year, especially the fastball. Maybe I just saw him really good last year, but I've been disappointed this year and I was higher on him than anyone else.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm judging by what I've seen from him, not his numbers. His fastball is not generating the swings and misses that made me like him more than others. Now a see a guy with a 91-92 MPH fastball, a good curve, and a well below average change. 

The curve is a plus pitch, but I've seen him get barreled a lot more this year than I saw last year, especially the fastball. Maybe I just saw him really good last year, but I've been disappointed this year and I was higher on him than anyone else.

A little out of my element here but the one time I saw him his fastball was sitting 92-94 and hit 95 a few times...assuming Bowie gun was right. His curve was great that night with 5-6 of 8 (I believe) K’s on it.

I’ll trust your judgement for the most part and understand one good start doesn’t make a pitcher but I came away impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The question is: Is Baumann now in the GrayRod, Hall group or is he still in the Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells group?

I heard Grimsley bring up Baumann specifically yesterday as a guy he liked but he needed to better his change up to get lefties out in the MLB. I was higher on Kremer before I read Tony’s post about his stuff being down this year. Hoping Kremer’s early issues were injury related. With that being said I’ve been thinking the groups were,

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Group C (Back of Rotation/Swingman/reliever)

Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman, Baumann, Knight, Hanifee, Sedlock, Rom

Early on it’s looking like next year that NCAA SP will probably be the pick in the draft. Way too early, but it would be nice to add another TOR potential arm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, Luke-OH said:

No, the ace comment is basically just saying that calling any prospect an ace is usually irresponsible.

This is how I see Baumann.

#3 SP ceiling if command ticks up another half grade and either the changeup improves considerably or the command of the curveball improves considerably.

My projection is a 50, which is a huge jump for him. That’s #4/high end #5 or a high end set up reliever. I think the high end relief is probably a better fit/more likely with no further development of the Change or curve.

The floor is middle relief if command is exposed against major league bats. 

 

 

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mike Baumann is thru 8 IP with his no-hitter. He hit 97 MPH in the 8th inning and using a 90-91 slider to dominate. He has 8 Ks thru 8 IP. This is a breakout type of performance.

Without you two, I'm not sure anyone who is not part of the organization would have any idea about the type of breakout year Baumann is having. You were early on this one.

Hopefully this breakout continues. It's hard to know in the relatively early stages whether he'll continue to grow, plateau where he's at now, or fizzle into something like a flash in the pan. It'll be fun to keep watching though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

 

Without you two, I'm not sure anyone who is not part of the organization would have any idea about the type of breakout year Baumann is having. You were early on this one.

Hopefully this breakout continues. It's hard to know in the relatively early stages whether he'll continue to grow, plateau where he's at now, or fizzle into something like a flash in the pan. It'll be fun to keep watching though.

@justDhad us go to Frederick last season to watch both Lowther and Baumann. They impressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I heard Grimsley bring up Baumann specifically yesterday as a guy he liked but he needed to better his change up to get lefties out in the MLB. I was higher on Kremer before I read Tony’s post about his stuff being down this year. Hoping Kremer’s early issues were injury related. With that being said I’ve been thinking the groups were,

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Group C (Back of Rotation/Swingman/reliever)

Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman, Baumann, Knight, Hanifee, Sedlock, Rom

Early on it’s looking like next year that NCAA SP will probably be the pick in the draft. Way too early, but it would be nice to add another TOR potential arm. 

My guess is it's more like this:

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Baumann, Lowther, Hanifee

Group C (Back of Rotation/Swingman/reliever)

Wells, Zimmerman, Knight, Sedlock, Rom, Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

 

Notes:
I could be too bullish on Hanifee/Lowther and not quite enough on Kremer.
I do agree that Harvey is a total wildcard though.
I'd argue Sedlock is a wildcard too, and could see his ceiling as mid rotation starter, though with a sort of low probability.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The question is: Is Baumann now in the GrayRod, Hall group or is he still in the Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells group?

Give me one more stud performance like the one last night and he'd for sure be in the GrayRod, Hall group for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Give me one more stud performance like the one last night and he'd for sure be in the GrayRod, Hall group for me.

Another complete game no hitter? J/k

It will take a lot for him to be in that group. There is an ocean in between them and the rest of the pitching prospects in the org. Age and stuff are on their side. 

But it’s hard for me not to have Baumann at the front of the next group. Lowther and Wells just don’t have the fastball to easily project to big league success. If Baumann and Akin can be a 3/4 combo in a rotation, then we’re starting to build something. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Frederick Keys News Release For Immediate Release: August 23, 2019   KEYS AND WOODPECKERS RAINED OUT FREDERICK SNAPS EIGHT-GAME SLIDE IN SALEM   FAYETTEVILLE, NC –Friday night’s contest between the Frederick Keys and the Fayetteville Woodpeckers has been postponed due to rain. Tonight’s contest will be made up as part of a Saturday day-night doubleheader, with game one beginning at 2:00 p.m. and game two starting at 6:00 p.m. Both games will be seven innings.   Saturday will mark the Keys 15th true doubleheader this season. In these contests, the orange and black are 2-3-9. Frederick played a pseudo-doubleheader on Wednesday against Potomac after the two sides were stopped after half an inning on Tuesday. The Keys will play at least 16 doubleheaders in 2019, with one more scheduled against Potomac on Saturday, August 31 beginning at 4 p.m.   On Saturday, right-hander Brenan Hanifee (8-9, 4.35) starts game one for the Keys and will be opposed by Fayetteville right-hander Cody Deason (3-2, 3.41). Game two will feature right-hander Luis Perez (6-1, 2.80) for Frederick against Woodpeckers right-hander Austin Hansen (3-2, 3.68). Both games can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn app.   The Keys return home for the final five games of the season from Friday, August 30-Monday, September 2. Homestand highlights include Art in the Park Night with a jersey auction benefiting the Frederick Arts Council, Wrestling Night with Jake the Snake Roberts, a Baby Shark Picnic and Fan Appreciation Day. For tickets, fans can visit frederickkeys.com or call 301-815-9939.   The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League’s Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com. www.FrederickKeys.com-     Geoff Arnold Director of Broadcasting/PR  Frederick Keys Orioles Class A Advanced garnold@frederickkeys.com 301-815-9915 (work) 610-324-3432 (cell) .
    • Curve Halt Baysox, 7-0 Bowie stays one game back with Erie loss at Harrisburg.   BOWIE, Md. – Sean Brady tossed a complete-game shutout to lead the Altoona Curve to a 7-0 win over the Bowie Baysox in front of 4,973 at Prince George's Stadium Friday night.   Chris Sharpe hit a solo home run off Alex Wells in the fourth inning to break up the scoreless deadlock, while three RBI doubles by Jason Delay, Adrian Valerio and Sharpe sparked a 6-run fifth inning to put the Curve (29-33) ahead 7-0.    A bright spot for the Baysox (41-21) came from their bullpen, which combined to throw 4 2/3 scoreless innings after Wells was removed from the contest. Francisco Jimenez struck out a pair of batters in 1 2/3 innings, while Brian Gonzalez worked through two clean frames. Zach Muckenhirn completed a perfect ninth inning to wrap up a solid relief effort.   The Maryland Crab Cakes make their debut when they and Altoona square off in the penultimate home game at Prince George’s Stadium Saturday night at 6:35 p.m. RHP Michael Baumann (4-2, 2.31 ERA) faces LHP Cam Vieaux (3-3, 2.27 ERA). The first 500 fans (ages 13+) receive a pair of Bay-socks upon entrance at the front gate.  
    • Friday's Summary is here: http://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/08/24/minor-league-game-summaries-8-23-2019/
    • Pretty acoustic guitar and flute too!  
    • II bet if the kid was an Orioles-fan and had to watch CD stink up the place night after night eating up a large part of the salary budget he would write a totally different letter.
    • Because rumor/speculation has it that Eric was so strung out on heroine that he needed someone to cover for him to make the album...
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...