Luke-OH

Mike Baumann 2019

4 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Another complete game no hitter? J/k

It will take a lot for him to be in that group. There is an ocean in between them and the rest of the pitching prospects in the org. Age and stuff are on their side. 

But it’s hard for me not to have Baumann at the front of the next group. Lowther and Wells just don’t have the fastball to easily project to big league success. If Baumann and Akin can be a 3/4 combo in a rotation, then we’re starting to build something. 

Akin might not be able to live up to his part of that bargain. There are several guys on the horizon though. It's possible one or more step up. We will need them to, for sure. The probabilities of even the top guys in our group becoming exactly what we're hoping for are probably pretty small.

23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:
Drew
1:29
Is Michael Baumann a legit prospect, or was his no-no in Bowie a fluke?

Keith Law
1:29
Relief prospect.

Keith Law is not a believer

Screw that guy

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Screw that guy

Not in so many words, but yeah. If Baumann is throwing 97 in the 8th inning with a dominant slider as Tony says, that is a bit more than a relief prospect. As Luke said, he may well end up in relief if the curve and/or change don't improve, but I don't think he can be dismissed as a relief prospect. Hope we can dunk on Law on that prognostication in a year or two.

Law probably doesn't change his opinions too easily, and typically I'm guessing he shouldn't. 

What I think people may already forget, or maybe just minimize, is that our organization turned 180 degrees when Elias got here. That means pitchers with one profile last year are getting a totally different look and feedback from the organization right now. Some were bound to blossom. Is Baumann's transition to future #2/3 starter complete? Of course not. Is it out of the question that he's in the middle of just such a transition? I'd say no. 

Even though you can't project him as a #2/3 starter right now, I do think he's a starter prospect with relief being closer to his floor than his mid-case at this point. At least, I hope that's what I'm hearing.

• Upvote 1

Law’s general approach seems to be say nobody will ever amount to anything and since most of them don’t, he’ll be right most of the time. If a 19 year old first rounder dominating in his first season is a relief prospect, then Baumann would be too. 

22 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Law’s general approach seems to be say nobody will ever amount to anything and since most of them don’t, he’ll be right most of the time. If a 19 year old first rounder dominating in his first season is a relief prospect, then Baumann would be too. 

Keep in mind Law is worried about something in his delivery that no one else is worried about.

Baumann definitely has some relief traits, lack of a 3rd MLB pitch (last time I saw him, curveball had  the quality, but not the consistency/command), and fringe command.

On the other hand he holds his velocity well and has a starter’s frame/build.

I think categorizing him as a relief prospect is lazy, just as I’d say calling him a starting pitcher prospect without mentioning relief risks/traits would be lazy.

21 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Baumann definitely has some relief traits, lack of a 3rd MLB pitch (last time I saw him, curveball had  the quality, but not the consistency/command), and fringe command.

On the other hand he holds his velocity well and has a starter’s frame/build.

I think categorizing him as a relief prospect is lazy, just as I’d say calling him a starting pitcher prospect without mentioning relief risks/traits would be lazy.

Keith Law likes to express himself in black and white terms.    I’m not sure if that’s because that’s how he actually sees things, or because he thinks expressing himself in that way attracts attention to his stuff.    

Was fortunate to be at the game Tuesday night and watch this outstanding performance. It was fun watching the batters take so many bad swings against Baumann. They were off-balance and couldn't commit, and it was great to see the last batter called out on strikes.