ChuckS

Keegan Akin 2019

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Akin hasn’t pitched well over the last 2+ months.    Very disappointing season for him.   

I agree the performance has fallen off, but his 4.66 ERA is equivalent to a 3.32 ERA in the Eastern League. 

His velocity has decline significantly from his first handful of starts, 87-92 down from 91-96. 

• Upvote 1

It sounds like the International league is a lot more hitter friendly this year with the MLB ball. Think Akin is a decent example of not wanting to hype the AA guys up too much as it looks like the jump to AAA is pretty big. 

Akin with six shutout innings today with a win. I'd like to see him reel off some wins to close the season

Tate with three shutout innings for a save. I've always been a fan of three-inning saves. I think Tate and Harvey could give us that option next year.

6 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Akin with six shutout innings today with a win. I'd like to see him reel off some wins to close the season

Tate with three shutout innings for a save. I've always been a fan of three-inning saves. I think Tate and Harvey could give us that option next year.

I don't see Tate making it through three innings in the majors very often.

Maybe not. I like the idea of using two pitchers instead of six, but I liked starting pitchers who threw 20-plus complete games, so I'm a dinosaur.

4 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Maybe not. I like the idea of using two pitchers instead of six, but I liked starting pitchers who threw 20-plus complete games, so I'm a dinosaur.

Somebody digging your bones?

I like the idea of scrapping starting pitchers and just throwing relievers out there.

Best game for Akin in months.   Really, since May 16.    Glad to see him throw 6 IP, and he did it in less than 90 pitches.   

3 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Wait until next year or do you guys think Akin could be called up to finish the year with the O's?

I’m pretty indifferent, but I think I’d wait.   He hasn’t set the world on fire.   Now, if he finishes the season on a roll, I might reconsider.   

34 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Wait until next year or do you guys think Akin could be called up to finish the year with the O's?

He has only thrown 97 innings this year and has 4 starts left at most. I would like to see him at least come close to his inning total from last season of 137 and 2/3rds. I wouldn't be opposed to having him pitch a few innings for the Orioles in September.

If he closes strong, I'd like to see him get a few starts and set the stage for being our No. 5 guy next season. I think we could have an improved rotation next year with Bundy, Means, Wojo, Cobb (is he still under contract?) and Akin.

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

If he closes strong, I'd like to see him get a few starts and set the stage for being our No. 5 guy next season. I think we could have an improved rotation next year with Bundy, Means, Wojo, Cobb (is he still under contract?) and Akin.

I think we are seeing the real John Means so far in the 2nd half