ChuckS

Keegan Akin 2019

He's my half-educated guess to lead team in September IP.   He's completed the minor league 5 months in each of the last 2 years, and I can imagine Starts 26-30 part of the org's goals for him this year.  He'll be 25 by Opening Day and no health blips yet.

It doesn't really make sense to me for what MLB hitters are like to stay unknown to him this offseason - I'll be more perplexed if he isn't called up.

10 hours ago, orioles22 said:

If he closes strong, I'd like to see him get a few starts and set the stage for being our No. 5 guy next season. I think we could have an improved rotation next year with Bundy, Means, Wojo, Cobb (is he still under contract?) and Akin.

Not that we currently have anyone to replace them but I think Bundy and Wojo should head to the bullpen next year, if Wojo is even on the team. He's the one waiver wire pickup that has shown anything out of Brooks, Eshelman, Scott, Shepherd (all of whom will most defintely be DFA'd)

12 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I think we are seeing the real John Means so far in the 2nd half

I'm not sure I buy that.  He was dealing for four innings against the Yankees before going off the rails.  It doesn't seem like teams have simply figured him out or anything of that nature.

12 hours ago, orioles22 said:

If he closes strong, I'd like to see him get a few starts and set the stage for being our No. 5 guy next season. I think we could have an improved rotation next year with Bundy, Means, Wojo, Cobb (is he still under contract?) and Akin.

Through 2021.

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm not sure I buy that.  He was dealing for four innings against the Yankees before going off the rails.  It doesn't seem like teams have simply figured him out or anything of that nature.

Not to mention he never should have gave up any runs (earned) in the first place. Wilkerson let a pop up drop that would have been caught by any natural center fielder. Miscommunications don’t count as errors though. 

He also doesn’t seem to be dealing with the healthiest of arms either - 2 separate trips to IL? 

11 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Not that we currently have anyone to replace them but I think Bundy and Wojo should head to the bullpen next year, if Wojo is even on the team. He's the one waiver wire pickup that has shown anything out of Brooks, Eshelman, Scott, Shepherd (all of whom will most defintely be DFA'd)

I'd like to see Armstrong close with Givens and Frey next, then Harvey and Bleir, then Tate and Scott as the long guys. I think Bundy has to stay in the rotation until help arrives from the Bowie guys in 2021.

Just watched Keegan Akin's outing yesterday at AAA. 93-94 and showed a good change and slider after the 1st inning. Best I've seen him throw this year. The mix gives me more hope that he can stick as a starter more than earlier this year. 

• Upvote 1

I saw an interview with Means about how his one start last September made him realize what he had to work on the pitch in the MLB. Even if Akin comes up here and gets rocked 2-3 times, it’s not the end of the world. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think he was scheduled to pitch the second game today/tonight but didn't. Anyone hear what happened?

The weather was crappy and had a threat of another delay. Probably didn't want to have him warm up, go an inning and then have a delay.

• Upvote 2

Maybe he should have started yesterday.

Pulled after 3.2 innings and allowing 8 runs, including a grand slam and solo home run back to back to close the book on him today.

To say Akin hasn't produced very well in Norfolk is an understatement.

42 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Maybe he should have started yesterday.

Pulled after 3.2 innings and allowing 8 runs, including a grand slam and solo home run back to back to close the book on him today.

To say Akin hasn't produced very well in Norfolk is an understatement.

He's an All-Star in my book though!  😎

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hard to see Akin getting a call up now.

What if he goes 6 shutout innings next time out?

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

What if he goes 6 shutout innings next time out?

It won't take -- or it shouldn't take --  much to get a September call-up for anyone in AAA who resembles a starting pitcher. Maybe two decent starts.