ChuckS

Keegan Akin 2019

Here's a nuance I don't have down pat - it wouldn't cost us an option in 2019 if we called him up and he stayed up, right?

I think I may have found the favorite for "leads team in September innings pitched".

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Here's a nuance I don't have down pat - it wouldn't cost us an option in 2019 if we called him up and he stayed up, right?

I think I may have found the favorite for "leads team in September innings pitched".

Right.

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Yeah, because he has to be on the 40-man in the offseason, he will definitely be up in September unless he gets injured and shut down before then. No option used.

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't seem to be a sound process to make that type of move for so minor an issue.  Unlike my stance on position players I'd rather go slowly with pitchers.

I didn’t realize you had a different position on pitchers than hitters.   I’m curious as to why.    If I was going to view them differently (which I don’t, really), I might be inclined to go the other direction, on the theory that arms only have so many pitches in them, so why waste them in the minors if the guy has major league talent?

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t realize you had a different position on pitchers than hitters.   I’m curious as to why.    If I was going to view them differently (which I don’t, really), I might be inclined to go the other direction, on the theory that arms only have so many pitches in them, so why waste them in the minors if the guy has major league talent?

Sorry for the delay, didn't want to do this one on mobile.  First off I'm talking about starting pitchers, not relievers, I should have specified that.  I'm pretty much fine with throwing a kid right out of college into a ML bullpen.

I could point to the Rays and the O's and say, the Rays always promote slowly and their young pitching always looks like they know what they are doing while the O's have rushed guys and they look unfinished when they get here.  And that is part of it.

There are a number of factors that I looked at. 

1. Defense peaks early.  Position players can provide value with their gloves (Machado and Schoop for example) while their bats catch up.
  2. Stressful innings are more likely damaging innings.  A hitter in over his head should be fine in time, a young pitcher in over his head is more likely to end up in a situation where his arm is stressed, increasing his chance of injury.
  3. Position players are easier to hide than pitchers.  To have a young pitcher go out there and get slammed every fifth day seems a lot more traumatic than having a position player struggle at the bottom of the order.  The pitcher struggles also puts pressure on the whole team in a way that a hitter struggling doesn't.
  4. I view pitching as more of a craft than hitting.  I think there is more to learn and more to master.
  5. With the introduction of ML balls to AAA I think it is very useful for pitchers to get experience using them.  I don't think it matter nearly as much for position players.
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry for the delay, didn't want to do this one on mobile.  First off I'm talking about starting pitchers, not relievers, I should have specified that.  I'm pretty much fine with throwing a kid right out of college into a ML bullpen.

I could point to the Rays and the O's and say, the Rays always promote slowly and their young pitching always looks like they know what they are doing while the O's have rushed guys and they look unfinished when they get here.  And that is part of it.

There are a number of factors that I looked at. 

1. Defense peaks early.  Position players can provide value with their gloves (Machado and Schoop for example) while their bats catch up.
  2. Stressful innings are more likely damaging innings.  A hitter in over his head should be fine in time, a young pitcher in over his head is more likely to end up in a situation where his arm is stressed, increasing his chance of injury.
  3. Position players are easier to hide than pitchers.  To have a young pitcher go out there and get slammed every fifth day seems a lot more traumatic than having a position player struggle at the bottom of the order.  The pitcher struggles also puts pressure on the whole team in a way that a hitter struggling doesn't.
  4. I view pitching as more of a craft than hitting.  I think there is more to learn and more to master.
  5. With the introduction of ML balls to AAA I think it is very useful for pitchers to get experience using them.  I don't think it matter nearly as much for position players.

Great answer, thanks.   

12 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Hess blew Akin's win. I hate when that happens. Too bad someone didn't pick him up.

Eh, I don't think getting the "win" is that important to Akin.  It was a good night, and hopefully he's closer to coming up and starting some games.

I know wins aren't in vogue these days, but I can't help wanting to see our starters get them. I remember following Palmer trying to get to 20 in the old days. I can't help myself. I was happy Lowther got more support from the bullpen than Akin.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I know wins aren't in vogue these days, but I can't help wanting to see our starters get them. I remember following Palmer trying to get to 20 in the old days. I can't help myself. I was happy Lowther got more support from the bullpen than Akin.

Put it this way: I was much more upset that Hess’ conversion to reliever isn’t going well, than I was about Akin not getting a W.

o

I amended the title of the article to reflect the focus of the 2 players that are headed to the AAA All-Star Game.

Scroll down to the final 4 paragraphs for the information on their selection.

Mountcastle and Akin are Headed to the AAA All-Star Game

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/06/os-skipper-showing-patience-as-losses-mount-plus-il-all-stars.html

o