Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Double digit strikeout games

I didn't know where to make this post (could be its own thread), but it sure seems like the O's suddenly have a lot of intriguing arms. 

• Grayson Rodriguez has been great.
  • DL Hall has been so so, but has shown top level traits (according to Luke).
  • Knight is blowing away the competition, albeit at a level or two lower than he is ready for.
  • Lowther has a sub-3.00 ERA and good WHIP at AA. Looks like a ML pitcher.
  • Peralta is putting up video game numbers. He has a 5:1 K to BB ratio.
  • Baumann has taken a big step forward.
  • Kremer was our #3 prospect last year and is just getting going. Definitely an arm to watch.
  • Sedlock is a former top pick who might be close to back to his old self. Still a risky bet, but definitely worth a follow.
  • Zimmerman suddenly seems like he could help a ML team.
  • Rom's a young, intriguing arm that's getting good results.
  • Pop is an intriguing bullpen arm.
  • Akin was last year's darling. He's been just ok this year.
  • Hanifee has not had a good year, but is very young and still a guy to watch big time.
  • Fenter is a little old for his level, but has some upside if his K rate means anything.
  • John Means is a bit old for this list and already in the majors, but is certainly a different guy this year that I'd say just about nobody saw on the come.
  • Alex Wells is a hard guy for me to put on this list, but has some chance if he can somehow get a few ticks of velocity.

Harvey, Tate, Ortiz and I'm sure a few others (some would say Akin, Hanifee and even Hall) have been either bad or at least disappointing. Things happen, so the odds are several (or most) of these guys will flame out or just not be good enough at higher levels. However, this has to be some of the best results and most intriguing list of arms I've seen in our system in a long time. 

• Upvote 2

And, as was mentioned in another thread by a very astute poster, this is probably the healthiest any group of our top 15-20 pitching prospects has been in recent memory - going back perhaps 20+ years.  

• Upvote 1

On the topic of intriguing arms:

Hunter Harvey's numbers in Bowie aren't great but if you told me at the beginning of the season that he would be pitching a starter's work load and also be injury/set back free 1/4 into the season, I would have bet against it.  

He hasn't allowed any runs in two of his last three starts, so he's trending up.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

On the topic of intriguing arms:

Hunter Harvey's numbers in Bowie aren't great but if you told me at the beginning of the season that he would be pitching a starter's work load and also be injury/set back free 1/4 into the season, I would have bet against it.  

He hasn't allowed any runs in two of his last three starts, so he's trending up.  

Good to hear. I must have been at the third, so I have a bad taste in my mouth.

5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

And, as was mentioned in another thread by a very astute poster, this is probably the healthiest any group of our top 15-20 pitching prospects has been in recent memory - going back perhaps 20+ years.  

Pop!

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Nick Vespi 6.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 11 K

Is he a prospect? I’ve never seen him on any lists but maybe I missed him. 

3 hours ago, Ven6 said:

Is he a prospect? I’ve never seen him on any lists but maybe I missed him. 

I had him around 30 before the prospects were acquired at the deadline, had him at 49 in the offseason. This is what I had on him.

They shifted him back to starting but the results have been poor until this start, I haven’t seen him pitch yet this year.

edit: I think he’s a fringe prospect, a half a grade above an org guy. 

• Upvote 1

In his season debut for Aberdeen, last year’s no. 8 pick Ryan Conroy lasted 7 innings and whiffed 12!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In his season debut for Aberdeen, last year’s no. 8 pick Ryan Conroy lasted 7 innings and whiffed 12!

Yowser!!

Ryan Wilson just reached double digit strikeouts for the second straight game.

July 3: 6 IP, 10 K’s

July 9: 7 IP, 11 K’s

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7/26 Rodriguez 5 IP 10 K’s

He’s our first prospect this year to strike out 10 batters in three different games.