Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

Still too early to come away with any pronouncements....

The folks in Boston are less enthusiastic about the outcome of this series.

I would be thrilled if Tampa Bay manages to take the Division and the wild cards come from the West and Central division.

I think asking them to battle day in, day out is all you can really ask for.  And they do.

I liked seeing Hyde step up and get tossed today, sticking up for his guys.  He's got a bit more fire than I thought he would.

It's early on but this team is WAY more fun to watch than last years team by far.  They might get blown out or shut out but then they can come back and win a game like they did today.  

I'm hoping that Mancini continues his breakout season, same with Villar, too.  Very pleasant surprises.

Remember

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think asking them to battle day in, day out is all you can really ask for.  And they do.

I liked seeing Hyde step up and get tossed today, sticking up for his guys.  He's got a bit more fire than I thought he would.

It's early on but this team is WAY more fun to watch than last years team by far.  They might get blown out or shut out but then they can come back and win a game like they did today.  

I'm hoping that Mancini continues his breakout season, same with Villar, too.  Very pleasant surprises.

Remember I've STILL got a brand new twice signed Mancini authentic black jersey for someone looking for a great birthday or holiday gift...Contact me if you're interested in purchasing it....and proceeds go to charity...WIN, WIN!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philip said:

The folks in Boston are less enthusiastic about the outcome of this series.

I would be thrilled if Tampa Bay manages to take the Division and the wild cards come from the West and Central division.

I don't know who or what TB has but they're off to a good enough start (12-4) that they'l have a boost for at least a couple months. Surprisingly pretty good last year... I'll be rooting for them.

3 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Only 40 more wins to match last years record! So far we are on pace for about 66. Not so bad comparatively speaking.

Amazing that you can even say that but it's true. And a VERY low bar. They say even the most replacement level team will win 54 games...

Means, Hess, and Yac, have really held the staff together so far. We’re 7-10. I’d say given what has happened we’ve scrapped out three extra wins than we “should” have. 

And we're still ahead of the Yankees and Red Sox in the standings. In year one of the rebuild, I'm not too concerned with our record, but it would be great to be looking down at them as long as we can. 😁

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

Amazing that you can even say that but it's true. And a VERY low bar. They say even the most replacement level team will win 54 games...

48 wins is considered replacement level.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh absolutely. That's why I don't get people who are tuning this season out. We knew pretty early on it would be more fun to watch and they aren't disappointing. They'll have a few stinkers each week but they play hard and when they do win you feel good for them because it's a bunch of waiver claims, a Rule 5 guy, some bullpen dudes no one's heard of, Chris Davis, and a starting rotation held together with duct tape. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Oh absolutely. That's why I don't get people who are tuning this season out. We knew pretty early on it would be more fun to watch and they aren't disappointing. They'll have a few stinkers each week but they play hard and when they do win you feel good for them because it's a bunch of waiver claims, a Rule 5 guy, some bullpen dudes no one's heard of, Chris Davis, and a starting rotation held together with duct tape. 

Yep.  Will be interesting to see how they're handling things in August but for now it's been great to see.

“Intangibles”

They really matter. Last year the morale was bad. Not only was the team awful but management decisions were appalling and everyone knew it. The guys all had-and have-enough Baseball intelligence to recognize stupid moves, and it’s only human for them to respond to that.

thats gone, and giving a guy the incentive to give his best, even if his best isn’t great, will result in wins. I think we will be surprising this year and I’ll be disappointed if we don’t hit upper 60s.

42 minutes ago, interloper said:

To be honest, it’s easy to play hard in April.    What I want to see is what kind of energy they’re putting out in July/August.