Sign in to follow this  
DocJJ

Mullins and Martin are hurting this offense...

We have no alternatives and nothing to lose. Let the kids play. If they fail, let them go. Martin is definitely a utility-defensive replacement guy at minimum, worth keeping at least until he belongs to us. I wish we had room to keep Drew Jackson too.

• Upvote 1

Martin stays. Even on a contending team, he’s a good piece. Mullins stays if his defense is outstanding. Even if it’s not, no reason to send him down until/unless someone forces Hyde to make a change. Give him 300 ABs, or until Santander/Hays/ETC is ready.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have no replacement at either position so it is what it is. This season is about giving guys ABs. Trot them out there everyday and hope they adjust eventually. 

This is why the Hays injury was particularly bad.  Assuming he kept up his ST hitting at Norfolk, I think he'd be looking at a promotion to the CF job come May.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I expected a struggling Mullins to hit .230 not .111

Jose Ramirez, pillar, puig, Aguilar and Kinsler are all hitting below .200 as well (just to name a few). I wouldn’t shut the book on him just yet. 

Their defense is carrying them at the moment. I think Martin will hit enough, and Mullins will hit enough LH. SS and CF with great speed and very good defense up the middle. I can deal with the O-fers while they develop. I mean, I can see you’re point if we are actually contenders for a playoff spot. But, that is certainly not the case. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Jose Ramirez, pillar, puig, Aguilar and Kinsler are all hitting below .200 as well (just to name a few). I wouldn’t shut the book on him just yet. 

I know it’s still early, but Mullins is digging himself quite the hole to dig out of. 

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Their defense is carrying them at the moment. I think Martin will hit enough, and Mullins will hit enough LH. SS and CF with great speed and very good defense up the middle. I can deal with the O-fers while they develop. I mean, I can see you’re point if we are actually contenders for a playoff spot. But, that is certainly not the case. 

Wait. We’re not contenders? Now you tell me.

• Haha 1

Mullins is clearly struggling, but the real question is, if not him, then who? With Hays still on the IL, the Tides are starting Mason Williams in CF. He's OPSing .549 in AAA. 

Rickard can play defensively in CF, but we know he is overexposed against right-handers. Smith Jr. would not be very good in CF defensively, but he might be worth playing there a bit and bring up DJ Stewart to play LF if Mullins can't get it going by the end of the month.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheDeau52 said:

Wait. We’re not contenders? Now you tell me.

Can you give one of us your contact information?

If we don’t see you post on OH tomorrow, we are going to assume you are in a state of catatonic shock from discovering this news. 😀

I think Mullins will hit enough for this team as it is eventually. But there is one thing that has bothered me about his game so far. The O's have had some close calls with outfielders running into each other this year. That is the center fielders responsibility to call off the other OF's. It might be just because he is still asserting himself. But it does need addressed IMO.

Edited by OsEatAlEast

They will take the good defense and trade the current batting averages of both players. This is player development at the major league level. They have only played 17 games, give it some time.