jamalshw

Blake Swihart an option?

2 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

I just saw this. I would definitely snap him up. Would think he would be an upgrade to Severino. Hope would be change of scenery helps Swihart and Severino clears waiver and we keep him in the system. 

Where are you going to play all these catchers?

You sending Wynns down to Bowie when he's healthy?

16 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I would consider sending down one of Sucre or Severino. 

I wouldn’t.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where are you going to play all these catchers?

You sending Wynns down to Bowie when he's healthy?

Nah, just release Sisco.

:disco:

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Nah, just release Sisco.

:disco:

Sisco and Swihart seem interchangeable.   I'd rather stay with the devil I know.  

Interesting takes. It seems the board is a bit split. I like the job Sucre and Severino have done defensively, but neither are a piece when the team is good again---unless as a backup catcher. Swihart probably isn't either so maybe it's a moot point, but I think Swihart has a chance to be an average major league player. Sucre and Severino won't hit enough for that.

Given where the franchise is, I take a shot at him.

Interesting note: I made a similar thread with Dwight Smith Jr. was available this spring and got a similar reaction of people not so interested. We'll see if this one plays out similarly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Interesting takes. It seems the board is a bit split. I like the job Sucre and Severino have done defensively, but neither are a piece when the team is good again---unless as a backup catcher. Swihart probably isn't either so maybe it's a moot point, but I think Swihart has a chance to be an average major league player. Sucre and Severino won't hit enough for that.

Whatever.    We’ll just be rearranging the deck chairs while waiting to draft Rutschmann.

• Upvote 1

I think I'm kind of rooting for it.  It's just a pedigree bet.  Probably in the end Swihart will just be another example of how hard it is for even reputedly elite prospects to establish themselves when the big club is death-fighting the Yankees eternally and has low tolerance for letting a rookie stink for a couple months.  We've got a couple months.

He's basically the catcher equivalent of Mullins or Smith - longshots to be part of the next good team, but if the incumbents are no shots...

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think I'm kind of rooting for it.  It's just a pedigree bet.  Probably in the end Swihart will just be another example of how hard it is for even reputedly elite prospects to establish themselves when the big club is death-fighting the Yankees eternally and has low tolerance for letting a rookie stink for a couple months.  We've got a couple months.

He's basically the catcher equivalent of Mullins or Smith - longshots to be part of the next good team, but if the incumbents are no shots...

reputedly elite prospects” 

out of curiosity was his top-25 status well earned or was it a product of NYY/BOS prospect hype?

I just got far enough in the ESPN story to the parts too about how this is to facilitate getting Sandy Leon back for Chris Sale against the Yankees tonight.  Obligatory mention that Red Sox catchers hit worse than Orioles first basemen last year, but I guess none of that matters if Chris Sale thinks he needs you.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Whatever.    We’ll just be rearranging the deck chairs while waiting to draft Rutschmann.

Maybe. I’d say we have the luxury of waiting and seeing if he can get close to his prospect pedigree. Probably not, but it’s a risk this club can afford in its current position. 

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

out of curiosity was his top-25 status well earned or was it a product of NYY/BOS prospect hype?

I don't think it was all hype.  The high-water mark was after 2014.  At that point he was a 1st round high-school catcher from 2011 who had been good at A/A+/AA all three years from 2012-2014, and started showing power at AA.  Imagine if DL Hall is good at Frederick this year and good at Bowie next year.  

BP 2015 gushes:

There's nothing quite so seductive as a blue chip catching prospect, and Swihart blossomed into such a siren in 2014. More well rounded than special in any one area of the game, Swihart's power started to stand out in Portland, as he added nearly 60 points of isolated power from his 2013 campaign in Salem. A switch-hitter who profiles as a slightly above-average defender, Swihart is the ever-rare player who should be able to hit in the first two-thirds of a batting order for a first-division team while catching in excess of 120 games. His development has been exceptionally smooth and markedly linear for a prep catching prospect.

And except for a hot first couple months in the show, nothing but stagnation and frustration in the four years since.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I wonder if there’s ever been a study done of whether NY/BOS prospects are systematically overrated by the various publications that do top 100 ratings.    Personally I tend to doubt it.   Take Mookie Betts - probably a top 10 player in MLB but ranked 75/62/— by BA, MLB.com and BP.     Or Aaron Judge, highest rankings 53/31/18. I’m sure some of their prospects are overrated, but I doubt there’s a demonstrable pattern.