Jump to content
jamalshw

Blake Swihart an option?

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So was Andrew Susac. How well did that go?

So we should never claim a player off waivers again? I’m not sure I understand the logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

So we should never claim a player off waivers again? I’m not sure I understand the logic.

Never said that. But the logic I was making was that the whole "they were a top prospect" status means nothing when the player has shown the inability to produce. 

Make waiver claims on players that can help or be helped, not on players that were hyped up and haven't produced in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Which is mostly bolstered by Swihart's first two seasons with the Red Sox. His OPS since 2017 is .624.  I would rather ride with the current guys on the 40 man roster.

 
Year Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2017-2019 BOS 100 243 223 33 51 11 0 4 22 6 1 19 67 .229 .292 .332 .624 69 74 4 1 0 0 0

 

 

5 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You dismiss his first two season but dont mention his injury in 2017.  Seems like selective bias.

Heck, even the .624 OPS is still 175 pts higher that what we are getting from C. 

The tough part is that Sucre really is helping the staff and Severino has “potential”. Swihart would be a tough fit on the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

 

Heck, even the .624 OPS is still 175 pts higher that what we are getting from C. 

The tough part is that Sucre really is helping the staff and Severino has “potential”. Swihart would be a tough fit on the roster. 

Where is the objective evidence that Sucre is helping our staff?    Our staff has a 5.98 ERA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Where is the objective evidence that Sucre is helping our staff?    Our staff has a 5.98 ERA.

Being pushed by the media because he sometimes shows emotion and gets mad at the pitchers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Being pushed by the media because he sometimes shows emotion and gets mad at the pitchers. 

I’ll say this: Sucre has a good arm. There are times when he frames pitches well.    But overall, I don’t see that he’s made any material difference in the quality of the pitching.   

Back to Swihart, I’ve never much liked him.  He’s a better hitter than Sucre or Severino, but that’s not saying much.    His defense always struck me as lackluster.   I’d be completely ambivalent about picking him up on a waiver claim.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Never said that. But the logic I was making was that the whole "they were a top prospect" status means nothing when the player has shown the inability to produce. 

Make waiver claims on players that can help or be helped, not on players that were hyped up and haven't produced in years.

While it doesn't guarantee anything, it indicates that there is a possibility (albeit low probability) of them breaking through and putting it all together.  I think the Orioles are in a position this season (and likely next) to grab high variance players as it's pure upside for them (downside avoidance is of little concern).

What types of players are you actually expecting to be put on waivers?  Most of them worth grabbing will be players with promise who haven't put it together (and thus not "helping") and are DFA'd due to space crunches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

This is an article written by Dan Shaughnessy, related to Swihart.

 

Nobody Scapegoats Like Your Red Sox

(By Dan Shaughnessy)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/04/16/shaughnessy/N1Y8ItQxrglujNEdU6i2kI/story.html#comments

 

o

Absolutely shocking that Dan Shaughnessy is opposed to Red Sox team and management on this decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The true move for a rebuilding team would be to DFA or trade Sucre, claim Swihart, and go with Severino/Swihart at catcher.  Severino is a young Sucre with a sliver of offensive potential.  Swihart is still young with the potential to be what we hoped Sisco would become, an average catcher defensively who can produce above average offensively.  We are in a position to take shots on players like this.  Is there really anything to lose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Where is the objective evidence that Sucre is helping our staff?    Our staff has a 5.98 ERA.

Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/48572/table-for-two-prospects-will-break-your-swihart/

BP with a long ventilation.  Ben Carsley is a New Englander and one of their prospect guys so I think he lets go of prospect pedigree daydreams later than most others.

Still, overall this nudges me to wanting him more.  I hadn't realized the Red Sox refused a trade demand of his last year - some of it is the Roger Clemens-in-Toronto psychobabble where I want to have the underappreciated talent right when the chip on his shoulder is boulder-sized.

Even if we love our catchers, they point out he could do a C/1B/LF field thing and I'd rather see him get 300 PAs before the trade deadline than Joey Rickard or DJ Stewart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/48572/table-for-two-prospects-will-break-your-swihart/

BP with a long ventilation.  Ben Carsley is a New Englander and one of their prospect guys so I think he lets go of prospect pedigree daydreams later than most others.

Still, overall this nudges me to wanting him more.  I hadn't realized the Red Sox refused a trade demand of his last year - some of it is the Roger Clemens-in-Toronto psychobabble where I want to have the underappreciated talent right when the chip on his shoulder is boulder-sized.

Even if we love our catchers, they point out he could do a C/1B/LF field thing and I'd rather see him get 300 PAs before the trade deadline than Joey Rickard or DJ Stewart.

Agreed about Rickard, but not Stewart.   I think Stewart could wind up being a decent player in the majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...