jamalshw

Blake Swihart an option?

I'm not infatuated with Swihart nor will I be super disappointed if we don't sign him, but I think it would be a good move for this team.  I imagine Sucre would make it to the minors on a DFA.  Severino and Swihart would be a decent battery and there's an outside chance that one of them could be of interest to someone at the deadline.

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Whether or not you think the offensive talent is limited, they are right at the MLB average for runs scored per game.  The team is third-worst in runs allowed per game, despite improved defense.

So, I don't think it makes sense to conclude that the pitching is better as the explanation for improvement in y-o-y record.

Well, it does make sense in that there is no Manny Machado, no Adam Jones, no Jon Schoop, not even a Mark Trumbo in the lineup. And that is the context of my point. Although I like our team for what it is, a rebuild. 

If we had Caleb and Chance, our team ERA and WHIP would be much better...and yes, it’s subjective, but I believe it to be pretty obvious. I like the way these current catchers play the game. I don’t need numbers to show that. All of those stats last year were for a different team. Different pitchers for more than half of the staff. 

An “lol” is indicative of humor, which that last line of the previous post was. I was being a little silly. Swihart got traded to the Diamondbacks, so really there is not a point here any further. 

On 4/17/2019 at 12:46 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

The tough part is that Sucre really is helping the staff and Severino has “potential”.

Good thing Sucre was out there helping our staff last night!   The team now has a 6.62 ERA when he catches.   Imagine how bad it would be if he wasn’t there!

To be clear, I’m just having a little fun here.    I don’t think Sucre is to blame for our crappy pitching.    But I don’t see that he’s really helping anything, either.   Another month of this and I’ll be ready for Sisco and/or Wynns if they’re doing decently at Norfolk.