Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Bowie Baysox 2019

This is bad enough that I worry the players aren't the problem. That's pure speculation, of course, but just about the entire team isn't hitting. 

This is a sad team. When you look at the roster there are a lot of our top prospects on the team too. But they are really struggling to win.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:46 AM, Frobby said:

4/11 no hit shutout

4/20 five hit shutout, four hit shutout in doubleheader 

4/22 three hit shutout

4/24 no hit shutout

All in 19 games played.   I’d say this is a weak offensive team.   

One hit shutout tonight, with the lone hit coming in the 8th inning.   They came close to getting no-hit for a third time this year.   

They did score 12 runs on 19 hits yesterday.   

It does appear something is wrong there - several top prospects are struggling. Speaking of prospects, I wonder when Diaz will get back. Is this parts of 3 years at AA for him.

As of May 7, the Baysox’s record stood at 8-24.    Since then, they’ve gone 11-4 to improve their record to 19-28.    That improvement coincides almost exactly with the arrival of Mason McCoy, who joined the team on May 6.   They’ve outscored opponents 79-41 in that stretch.   Their run production has still been sporadic.   6 of the 11 wins during the recent stretch case in games where they scored 3 runs or less; but they’ve also won by 19-4 (yesterday), 12-2 and 12-1.    

The addition of Austin Hays should bolster their offense.

4/5 of the Bowie rotation is doing well — Lowther 1.91 ERA in 8 starts, Wells 2.12 in 6 starts, Zimmerman 2.25 in 8 starts, Molina 3.42 in 8 starts.   The sore spot has been Hunter Harvey, 5.82 ERA in 9 starts.    Dean Kremer has now joined the rotation as well, so things are a bit crowded.    

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

As of May 7, the Baysox’s record stood at 8-24.    Since then, they’ve gone 11-4 to improve their record to 19-28.    That improvement coincides almost exactly with the arrival of Mason McCoy, who joined the team on May 6.   They’ve outscored opponents 79-41 in that stretch.   Their run production has still been sporadic.   6 of the 11 wins during the recent stretch case in games where they scored 3 runs or less; but they’ve also won by 19-4 (yesterday), 12-2 and 12-1.    

The addition of Austin Hays should bolster their offense.

4/5 of the Bowie rotation is doing well — Lowther 1.91 ERA in 8 starts, Wells 2.12 in 6 starts, Zimmerman 2.25 in 8 starts, Molina 3.42 in 8 starts.   The sore spot has been Hunter Harvey, 5.82 ERA in 9 starts.    Dean Kremer has now joined the rotation as well, so things are a bit crowded.    

I made that point on BirdsWatcher a week ago:

https://birdswatcher.com/2019/05/14/baltimore-orioles-spark-baysox/

Three questions for people who go to games in Bowie for those of us not fortunate enough to go. 

1. Does Mason McCoy shoot up everyone’s prospect boards due to how well he’s done? Do you think he’ll stick at SS? 

2. Whats’s going on with Harvey? Is he not locating his stuff? Is it not that fast velocity wise anymore? 

3. What happened to Ryan McKenna’s bat? .630 OPS and we’re almost isn’t a good sign 

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Three questions for people who go to games in Bowie for those of us not fortunate enough to go. 

1. Does Mason McCoy shoot up everyone’s prospect boards due to how well he’s done? Do you think he’ll stick at SS? 

2. Whats’s going on with Harvey? Is he not locating his stuff? Is it not that fast velocity wise anymore? 

3. What happened to Ryan McKenna’s bat? .630 OPS and we’re almost isn’t a good sign 

1. Not that much, he's still a utility profile for me. He can handle SS, I don't think the range is MLB average, but he's rock solid consistent.

2. Harvey hasn't had much command of his curveball or splitter. So despite the fact both of those pitches will show plus at times, hitters are able to sit dead red fastball. So the 2nd time through the order, guys are timing up his fastball. I wouldn't worry about him, if he's healthy, he'll be a MLB contributor eventually, just needs reps.

3. He changed his swing (something he does quite often), it's kind of an imitation of Mike Trout's swing, I think he's trying to hit for more power. The problem is that he's not getting the bat on plane early enough.  He's also hitting a lot more balls in the air.  Part of the struggles are bad luck, he hasn't earned a .260 BABIP, he's still a 70/80 runner. He's playing strong centerfield defense, he's two years younger than McCoy, his prospect status hasn't really taken much of a hit IMO (you always prefer to see good results).