weams

It's Time - Mountcastle

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It can't work out that poorly since you won't have a lot of money invested.  Worst case scenario you are paying a kid middle reliever money.

Recent trend or not this is an approach I've been advocating for years.

Agents and MLB players are complaining more and more about these smart contracts, which makes me wonder what the future holds for the Orioles the next time they get a young, MLB ready prospect on the team. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Next week?

I heard yesterday that they are down to one position player in the minors that is on their 40.

Mike Pagliarulo is available.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Agents and MLB players are complaining more and more about these smart contracts, which makes me wonder what the future holds for the Orioles the next time they get a young, MLB ready prospect on the team. 

The kids signing the deals aren't complaining.  I've yet to see one hold out of Spring Training and demand a new deal.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

They have no business complaining IMO.    Nobody held a gun to Ozzie Albies’ head.     He knew the odds were he was leaving a lot of money on the table, but he wanted the security of a long term deal.   

5 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Yeah we may have already missed the boat on it by the time we get our prospects up here. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They have no business complaining IMO.    Nobody held a gun to Ozzie Albies’ head.     He knew the odds were he was leaving a lot of money on the table, but he wanted the security of a long term deal.   

It's the veteran guys who are complaining, not the guys actually signing the deals.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you leave someone at Norfolk all season if they were crushing it?

Service  time.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

So just going to ignore the whole "facing ML pitchers" thing? 🤷‍♂️ Mullins' line at Norfolk is more than "a bit better than in Baltimore". 

In a very small numbers of PAs.  I don't particularly care about individual variations - a typical player doesn't hit much better in Norfolk facing AAA pitching than he does in Baltimore facing MLB pitching. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sad.

And I think unprecedented.

In the 1950s and before it was usually considered bad form to steal/call-up a minor league team's best player in the middle of the pennant race just to have a extra guy on a middling major league team.  So there were a lot of players of that era and prior who put up numbers you'd never see today, 500+ PAs, .350+ averages, 50, 60 homers.  Plus teams like Brooklyn, St. Louis and others had vast minor leagues with dozens of teams.  You might have a 1.000 OPS in Class B ball and still kind of get lost.  That's how that giant trade with Gus Triandos and Larsen happened - the Yanks had a dozen good ballplayers in the minors and didn't have any place for them.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In the 1950s and before it was usually considered bad form to steal/call-up a minor league team's best player in the middle of the pennant race just to have a extra guy on a middling major league team.  So there were a lot of players of that era and prior who put up numbers you'd never see today, 500+ PAs, .350+ averages, 50, 60 homers.  Plus teams like Brooklyn, St. Louis and others had vast minor leagues with dozens of teams.  You might have a 1.000 OPS in Class B ball and still kind of get lost.  That's how that giant trade with Gus Triandos and Larsen happened - the Yanks had a dozen good ballplayers in the minors and didn't have any place for them.

Sorry I should have said in the post expansion era.

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Service  time.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sad.

And I think unprecedented.

Unprecedented as a league-wide strategy, sure, maybe. On the O's? It hasn't even been done yet. No one sent to AAA is crushing it at this point and all the moves look completely justified at this point. Some guys are perhaps deserving of a look pretty soon, like Stewart. Otherwise? Big ol' shrug from me. I'm not that impressed with Mountcastle's numbers other than it being a good indication he's on the right track. Hays is hurt. Diaz is hitting .224 in Bowie. Sisco is utterly lost, again. Santander is not hitting either. 

Scott is already up. Kline is up. Phillips is up. All 3 were cut in ST.