Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Enjoy Terror

Dominican Summer League

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

No precedent. Not that I’m an encylopedia of knowledge or anything, but I’d wager there’s not a person on the planet who started pro-ball at 26 and has been in the major leagues. 

Im going to have to look that up though.

All sorts of crazy stuff happened in the early days of organized ball. (I guess you could say someone that played in 1870 isn't on the planet)

There is also the question of if the Cuban leagues count as pro ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are once again much more polite than I was planning on being.  I will add that they could have signed at 17 if they had hit a growth spurt, no rules precluding it.

I also wouldn't be shocked to find out that some of these players have already signed with, and been released from, other organizations.

Roch indicated today that we might actually have some decent signings when July 2 rolls around. Of course, Elias and Perez both made it clear that most of the elite talent has handshake agreements with teams a year or two before they are eligible to be signed, so I’m not expecting miracles.   But if they could find at least a few nuggets to whet our appetites, it would be nice.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

Roch indicated today that we might actually have some decent signings when July 2 rolls around. Of course, Elias and Perez both made it clear that most of the elite talent has handshake agreements with teams a year or two before they are eligible to be signed, so I’m not expecting miracles.   But if they could find at least a few nuggets to whet our appetites, it would be nice.   

I'm still in camp they can't spend all their allotted money until I see evidence otherwise.  Of course they could make a couple decent signings for a lot less that their full allotment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still in camp they can't spend all their allotted money until I see evidence otherwise.  Of course they could make a couple decent signings for a lot less that their full allotment.

I’m more focused on them making some decent signings than on whether they spend their whole allotment.   Of course, it’ll be a couple of years before we know if any of the signees look promising, whereas we’ll know more or less immediately how much they’ve spent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

I’m more focused on them making some decent signings than on whether they spend their whole allotment.   Of course, it’ll be a couple of years before we know if any of the signees look promising, whereas we’ll know more or less immediately how much they’ve spent. 

I think it is an issue if spending is being constrained.

You can work as hard as everyone else but if you can only spend half of what the other teams are you won't ever catch up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is an issue if spending is being constrained.

You can work as hard as everyone else but if you can only spend half of what the other teams are you won't ever catch up.

Let’s say they don’t spend their whole allotment.   We probably will never know whether that’s because (1) ownership is constraining the spending, or (2) most of the really good prospects were committed to other teams already and Elias/Perez didn’t want to throw money at guys just for the sake of saying they spent their allotment.   It might be 2021 before we’re really on a level playing field (handshake this year, formal signing in two years).    That said, I’m hoping it won’t take that long.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say they don’t spend their whole allotment.   We probably will never know whether that’s because (1) ownership is constraining the spending, or (2) most of the really good prospects were committed to other teams already and Elias/Perez didn’t want to throw money at guys just for the sake of saying they spent their allotment.   It might be 2021 before we’re really on a level playing field (handshake this year, formal signing in two years).    That said, I’m hoping it won’t take that long.    

And if they don't spend it all in years 3, 4 and 5?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if they don't spend it all in years 3, 4 and 5?

 

I’d be very concerned.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are once again much more polite than I was planning on being.  I will add that they could have signed at 17 if they had hit a growth spurt, no rules precluding it.

I also wouldn't be shocked to find out that some of these players have already signed with, and been released from, other organizations.

I'm not sure why you would have been impolite responding to me. It was a genuine question. I know we disagree on the international stuff a lot but I've certainly never pretended to know much about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if they don't spend it all in years 3, 4 and 5?

 

 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be very concerned.

I would want to see big movement by year 3 certainly. Year 2 we could theoretically give them the benefit of the doubt still, especially if there are signs it's trending right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure why you would have been impolite responding to me. It was a genuine question. I know we disagree on the international stuff a lot but I've certainly never pretended to know much about it.

I'm brusque.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be very concerned.

The only reasons I can imagine for ownership to not spend here are:

1. They don't think it's worth it. I think that would be ludicrous given what Elias has stated and his ability to make a data case for this spending being more efficient than free agency, for example. Regardless, this is where we stood under PA. 

2. They simply can't get the talent at close to the right price. This is where we supposedly stand right now. Need to build the program.

3. They're being tight everywhere. The reasons for that are they're preparing to sell the team after PA passes or they're just cutting off their noses to spite their faces, which brings us back to #1.

Given all that's been said publicly, I really doubt the suns "value" the international market anything like PA did. If they don't spend more/most of the allotment over time, I'd wager it's because they're preparing to sell the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Frederick Keys News Release For Immediate Release: August 23, 2019   KEYS AND WOODPECKERS RAINED OUT FREDERICK SNAPS EIGHT-GAME SLIDE IN SALEM   FAYETTEVILLE, NC –Friday night’s contest between the Frederick Keys and the Fayetteville Woodpeckers has been postponed due to rain. Tonight’s contest will be made up as part of a Saturday day-night doubleheader, with game one beginning at 2:00 p.m. and game two starting at 6:00 p.m. Both games will be seven innings.   Saturday will mark the Keys 15th true doubleheader this season. In these contests, the orange and black are 2-3-9. Frederick played a pseudo-doubleheader on Wednesday against Potomac after the two sides were stopped after half an inning on Tuesday. The Keys will play at least 16 doubleheaders in 2019, with one more scheduled against Potomac on Saturday, August 31 beginning at 4 p.m.   On Saturday, right-hander Brenan Hanifee (8-9, 4.35) starts game one for the Keys and will be opposed by Fayetteville right-hander Cody Deason (3-2, 3.41). Game two will feature right-hander Luis Perez (6-1, 2.80) for Frederick against Woodpeckers right-hander Austin Hansen (3-2, 3.68). Both games can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn app.   The Keys return home for the final five games of the season from Friday, August 30-Monday, September 2. Homestand highlights include Art in the Park Night with a jersey auction benefiting the Frederick Arts Council, Wrestling Night with Jake the Snake Roberts, a Baby Shark Picnic and Fan Appreciation Day. For tickets, fans can visit frederickkeys.com or call 301-815-9939.   The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League’s Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com. www.FrederickKeys.com-     Geoff Arnold Director of Broadcasting/PR  Frederick Keys Orioles Class A Advanced garnold@frederickkeys.com 301-815-9915 (work) 610-324-3432 (cell) .
    • Curve Halt Baysox, 7-0 Bowie stays one game back with Erie loss at Harrisburg.   BOWIE, Md. – Sean Brady tossed a complete-game shutout to lead the Altoona Curve to a 7-0 win over the Bowie Baysox in front of 4,973 at Prince George's Stadium Friday night.   Chris Sharpe hit a solo home run off Alex Wells in the fourth inning to break up the scoreless deadlock, while three RBI doubles by Jason Delay, Adrian Valerio and Sharpe sparked a 6-run fifth inning to put the Curve (29-33) ahead 7-0.    A bright spot for the Baysox (41-21) came from their bullpen, which combined to throw 4 2/3 scoreless innings after Wells was removed from the contest. Francisco Jimenez struck out a pair of batters in 1 2/3 innings, while Brian Gonzalez worked through two clean frames. Zach Muckenhirn completed a perfect ninth inning to wrap up a solid relief effort.   The Maryland Crab Cakes make their debut when they and Altoona square off in the penultimate home game at Prince George’s Stadium Saturday night at 6:35 p.m. RHP Michael Baumann (4-2, 2.31 ERA) faces LHP Cam Vieaux (3-3, 2.27 ERA). The first 500 fans (ages 13+) receive a pair of Bay-socks upon entrance at the front gate.  
    • Friday's Summary is here: http://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/08/24/minor-league-game-summaries-8-23-2019/
    • Pretty acoustic guitar and flute too!  
    • II bet if the kid was an Orioles-fan and had to watch CD stink up the place night after night eating up a large part of the salary budget he would write a totally different letter.
    • Because rumor/speculation has it that Eric was so strung out on heroine that he needed someone to cover for him to make the album...
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...