Greg Pappas

Ravens' 2019 Draft: Who I'd/We'd Have Taken

This is not a perfect exercise, but cool to track anyway. 
Essentially I've recorded a few of the Ravens NFL Drafts in past years, and noted who I would have taken when they were on the clock. 
I've done that for the O's as well. 
Anyway, this year, I thought it would be fun to have some posters note who they would have chosen with each selection
Here's mine:

PICK    PLAYER
25    WR, Marquise Brown
85    Edge, Jaylon Ferguson
93    WR, Hakeem Butler (liked the Miles Boykin pick a lot)
113  FS, Deionte Thompson (liked the Justice Hill pick a lot)
123  OG/OC, Michael Jordan (not a fan of Powers in R4)
127  CB, Amani Oruwariye (liked the Iman Marshall pick)
160  WR, Kelvin Harmon (loved the Daylon Mack pick)
197  RB, Rodney Anderson (liked the McSorley pick a lot)

Overall I really like their choices and feel good about DeCosta's 1st draft as the lead guy. They took the exact two players that I would have taken at #'s 25 & 85 and all but one choice throughout the rest of the draft were players I liked a lot and had rated very closely with who they actually took.  I had Powers rated as a 6th rounder, but the Ravens have proven time and time again that they can mold mid-round O-Lineman into serviceable or even quality players.  I hope he makes me look bad. =)

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

This is not a perfect exercise, but cool to track anyway. 
Essentially I've recorded a few of the Ravens NFL Drafts in past years, and noted who I would have taken when they were on the clock. 
I've done that for the O's as well. 
Anyway, this year, I thought it would be fun to have some posters note who they would have chosen with each selection
Here's mine:

PICK    PLAYER
25    WR, Marquise Brown
85    Edge, Jaylon Ferguson
93    WR, Hakeem Butler (liked the Miles Boykin pick a lot)
113  FS, Deionte Thompson (liked the Justice Hill pick a lot)
123  OG/OC, Michael Jordan (not a fan of Powers in R4)
127  CB, Amani Oruwariye (liked the Iman Marshall pick)
160  WR, Kelvin Harmon (loved the Daylon Mack pick)
197  RB, Rodney Anderson (liked the McSorley pick a lot)

Overall I really like their choices and feel good about DeCosta's 1st draft as the lead guy. They took the exact two players that I would have taken at #'s 25 & 85 and all but one choice throughout the rest of the draft were players I liked a lot and had rated very closely with who they actually took.  I had Powers rated as a 6th rounder, but the Ravens have proven time and time again that they can mold mid-round O-Lineman into serviceable or even quality players.  I hope he makes me look bad. 😃

I'm okay with everything else but I would have taken the C Michael Jordan where we selected the CB.

• Upvote 1

PICK    PLAYER
25    C, Elgton Jenkins - I cannot believe they went another draft without addressing this.

85    G, Connor McGovern, Edge, Ferguson - I have to admit that I wasn't happy about the Ferguson pick, but I feel a lot better about it after reading up on him more. I would have preferred McGovern, but I can't argue w/ the Ferguson pick.

93    WR, Hakeem Butler or Edge, Oshane Ximines - This pick is dependent on the previous pick.  If we took Ferguson, I'm not taking Ximines here.  If we took McGovern, I think Ximines is the guy.

113  WR, Calvin Ridley - Like the last pick, it's dependent on the previous two picks, but honestly, I would have taken Ridley here and not even blinked.  The only thing that would have kept me from taking him is if we took Butler w/ the previous pick.  I think my preferred group would have been: (G) McGovern / (Edge) Ximines / WR Ridley.

123  G, Michael Jordan - I would have preferred a DLinman or LBer here, but I'm not all that thrilled w/ the guys left and it's hard to pass up on a guy w/ Jordan's upside.

127  LB, Mack Wilson - Getting into that shady range of special teams/project-type guys.  Wilson is one of the few of those that I think has a high probability of being a starter/solid player.  Kind of surprised he slid as far as he did.

160  insert DT, DE or LB here - I'm fine w/ the Mack pick, but also wouldn't have minded DE, Charles Omenihu or LB, Cameron Smith who both went right after Mack

197 whatever - I don't hate the McSorley pick, but it seems like there were enough project/special teams guys left that I wouldn't have used this pick on a guy who is likely headed to the practice squad.  If you twisted my arm, I guess I would have gone w/ LB, Emeke Egbule or maybe WR, Marcus Green as a kick/punt return guy.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elbren said:

PICK    PLAYER
25    C, Elgton Jenkins - I cannot believe they went another draft without addressing this.

85    G, Connor McGovern, Edge, Ferguson - I have to admit that I wasn't happy about the Ferguson pick, but I feel a lot better about it after reading up on him more. I would have preferred McGovern, but I can't argue w/ the Ferguson pick.

93    WR, Hakeem Butler or Edge, Oshane Ximines - This pick is dependent on the previous pick.  If we took Ferguson, I'm not taking Ximines here.  If we took McGovern, I think Ximines is the guy.

113  WR, Calvin Ridley - Like the last pick, it's dependent on the previous two picks, but honestly, I would have taken Ridley here and not even blinked.  The only thing that would have kept me from taking him is if we took Butler w/ the previous pick.  I think my preferred group would have been: (G) McGovern / (Edge) Ximines / WR Ridley.

123  G, Michael Jordan - I would have preferred a DLinman or LBer here, but I'm not all that thrilled w/ the guys left and it's hard to pass up on a guy w/ Jordan's upside.

127  LB, Mack Wilson - Getting into that shady range of special teams/project-type guys.  Wilson is one of the few of those that I think has a high probability of being a starter/solid player.  Kind of surprised he slid as far as he did.

160  insert DT, DE or LB here - I'm fine w/ the Mack pick, but also wouldn't have minded DE, Charles Omenihu or LB, Cameron Smith who both went right after Mack

197 whatever - I don't hate the McSorley pick, but it seems like there were enough project/special teams guys left that I wouldn't have used this pick on a guy who is likely headed to the practice squad.  If you twisted my arm, I guess I would have gone w/ LB, Emeke Egbule or maybe WR, Marcus Green as a kick/punt return guy.

For obvious reasons I liked Mack Wilson they could've slid up 5 or so slots from 160 and got him. 

I think the Ravens will pick their shot on drafting the next elite MLB. 

16 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

For obvious reasons I liked Mack Wilson they could've slid up 5 or so slots from 160 and got him

I think the Ravens will pick their shot on drafting the next elite MLB. 

We know that now, in hindsight, but I tried to base my picks solely on who was still available at each pick.  If you look over the guys taken between 127 and 160, there really isn't anyone there that I would have taken over him and I honestly wouldn't have trusted that he slid as far as he did.  I would rather have him at 127 than take a CB (Marshall) that we don't need and hope/pray that he falls close enough to 160 that you can trade up to get him.  Even then, you're spending multiple picks on a guy that you could have easily had at 127.  Yeah, it's a round earlier, but I honestly think he's a guy that could have easily gone in the 3rd, if not the 2nd round.

It's crazy how, every year, there's guys that randomly drop in the draft due to team needs, draft strategy, etc.  Wilson, Calvin Ridley, Hakeem Butler, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson just to name a few this year.

1 hour ago, Elbren said:

We know that now, in hindsight, but I tried to base my picks solely on who was still available at each pick.  If you look over the guys taken between 127 and 160, there really isn't anyone there that I would have taken over him and I honestly wouldn't have trusted that he slid as far as he did.  I would rather have him at 127 than take a CB (Marshall) that we don't need and hope/pray that he falls close enough to 160 that you can trade up to get him.  Even then, you're spending multiple picks on a guy that you could have easily had at 127.  Yeah, it's a round earlier, but I honestly think he's a guy that could have easily gone in the 3rd, if not the 2nd round.

It's crazy how, every year, there's guys that randomly drop in the draft due to team needs, draft strategy, etc.  Wilson, Calvin Ridley, Hakeem Butler, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson just to name a few this year.

Ridley's combine running times costed him a ton of money. He was very slow and I would've had a pro day later to try to regain my draft status. The Ravens main reason that they drafted the way they did was to add elite speed. With his times he would do little more than replace Snead.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Ridley's combine running times costed him a ton of money. He was very slow and I would've had a pro day later to try to regain my draft status. The Ravens main reason that they drafted the way they did was to add elite speed. With his times he would do little more than replace Snead.

Yeah, that's crazy that he (or his agent) decided not to have a separate pro day after his performance at the combine.  I still would have taken him though.  Hell, we took Zues Jr. in the 3rd round despite him having a historically bad combine.  If we're willing to spend a 3rd on Zues Jr., I would have no problem spending a 4th on Ridley.

Just my personal opinion though.