Jump to content
Roll Tide

Keepers - Foundation Blocks or Trade Bait

Recommended Posts

I’m looking st the current group of young guys and trying to determine who you can keep or trade.

There was speculation that an outlet was suggesting locking up Mancini early. I personally have suggested Villar as he’s still young and I love his style of play.

Alberto seems to have a plus hit tool but is he a solid enough defender to hold down a starting position and play solid defense.

 

so far for me ... I’d say keep and extend Villar and Mancini. Alberto would be extended early if he can settle in and play good defense somewhere. 

I see that Martin is starting to hit and hope he can continue to trend upward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a situation with Mancini, Davis, Nunez and Mouncastle.  One of them probably gets traded this off season to fill other holes.

Hays, Diaz, McKenna, Smith, Santander right now seem like the future outfield.

I am not much into extending anyone at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, esmd said:

I don't think there is anyone currently on the 25 man that is a foundation block.  They're all either trade bait or spare parts.

Mancini and Villar are going to be in their 30’s before this team is ready to contend. Givens is 29 and likely getting traded. 

Anyone that matters when this team makes the playoffs is in the minor leagues, college or not yet graduated high school. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Trey Mancini. He's an easy player to like. I want him to be part of the next winning Orioles team but realistically, it's not likely. We have a number of players for 1B/DH and while he's looked a bit better in OF this year, that's one area of strength in the minors.

Of the players currently in the Majors, I think Nunez and Smith are the most likely to be here when we're good again (and maybe an arm or two? Means? Phillips? Fry?)

I think Nunez has a better chance because he's got another pre-arb year and Mancini is playing well enough he could provide some good trade value. As much as I like him, if some team is willing to give a couple solid upside prospects, I take the deal.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I like Trey Mancini. He's an easy player to like. I want him to be part of the next winning Orioles team but realistically, it's not likely. We have a number of players for 1B/DH and while he's looked a bit better in OF this year, that's one area of strength in the minors.

Of the players currently in the Majors, I think Nunez and Smith are the most likely to be here when we're good again (and maybe an arm or two? Means? Phillips? Fry?)

I think Nunez has a better chance because he's got another pre-arb year and Mancini is playing well enough he could provide some good trade value. As much as I like him, if some team is willing to give a couple solid upside prospects, I take the deal.   

I really like Mancini too, but we as fans need to think rationally about him. If Elias can swing a trade that will land prospects that will be with the team in 5 years, you have to make that trade.

Mancini has a sweet swing and always hustles, but he is a 1B/DH type and his value will likely diminsh as he enters his 30's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming we may be able to challenge for the playoffs by 2023 (I cannot see how beforehand), I imagine any player listed below that was born in 1992 or earlier is unlikely to be still with us by then. I would not be shocked to look at our roster in four years and note the none of the players currently on the roster are still with us.  I hope Elias deals Mancini, Villar, Givens and others in order to net some quality prospects, sooner rather than later. 

Here's the current roster, according to MLB.com:

 

Quote

Pitchers

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
43   Shawn Armstrong R/R 6'2" 225lbs 9/11/90
37   Dylan Bundy S/R 6'1" 200lbs 11/15/92
54   Andrew Cashner R/R 6'6" 235lbs 9/11/86
50   Miguel Castro R/R 6'7" 205lbs 12/24/94
51   Paul Fry L/L 6'0" 190lbs 7/26/92
60   Mychal Givens R/R 6'0" 210lbs 5/13/90
41   David Hess R/R 6'2" 180lbs 7/10/93
52   Branden Kline R/R 6'3" 210lbs 9/29/91
67   John Means L/L 6'3" 230lbs 4/24/93
58   Evan Phillips R/R 6'2" 215lbs 9/11/94
32   Yefry Ramirez R/R 6'2" 215lbs 11/28/93
53   Dan Straily R/R 6'2" 220lbs 12/1/88
64   Gabriel Ynoa R/R 6'2" 205lbs 5/26/93

Catchers

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
28   Pedro Severino R/R 6'1" 219lbs 7/20/93
61   Austin Wynns R/R 6'2" 205lbs 12/10/90

Infield

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
57   Hanser Alberto R/R 5'11" 215lbs 10/17/92
19   Chris Davis L/R 6'3" 230lbs 3/17/86
1   Richie Martin R/R 5'11" 190lbs 12/22/94
39   Renato Nunez R/R 6'1" 220lbs 4/4/94
14   Rio Ruiz L/R 6'1" 215lbs 5/22/94
2   Jonathan Villar S/R 6'1" 215lbs 5/2/91
12   Stevie Wilkerson S/R 6'1" 195lbs 1/11/92

Outfield

#   Name B/T Ht Wt DOB
16   Trey Mancini R/R 6'4" 215lbs 3/18/92
23   Joey Rickard R/L 6'1" 185lbs 5/21/91
35   Dwight Smith Jr L/R 6'0" 210lbs 10/26/92

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, esmd said:

I don't think there is anyone currently on the 25 man that is a foundation block.  They're all either trade bait or spare parts.

There isn't a lot to get excited about on this team. Everyone will be past 30 and on a decline by the time the O's realistically have a shot at competing. 

I'd be open to extending Mancini just because they do need someone to play and his contributions to the team probably exceed whatever he'd bring back in a trade, which I don't think would be anything impressive. I also don't think he'd be terribly expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Anyone that matters when this team makes the playoffs is in the minor leagues, college or not yet graduated high school. 

By the time they're contending they'll acquire a few established players from outside the organization who are a little older than that.  Not even the Rays are all home-grown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theocean said:

There isn't a lot to get excited about on this team. Everyone will be past 30 and on a decline by the time the O's realistically have a shot at competing. 

I'd be open to extending Mancini just because they do need someone to play and his contributions to the team probably exceed whatever he'd bring back in a trade, which I don't think would be anything impressive. I also don't think he'd be terribly expensive.

Mancini is a DH/1B guy who has had inconsistent results.  I think extending him would be a horrible decision.  We have Mountcastle coming up to play first. I don't think Mancini in the outfield leads to a winning formula.  You can pick up guys like Mancini cheap on 1 year deals.  No reason to make the same mistake twice. 

I think the sad fact is we don't have anyone to build around currently on the team.  Hopefully Mountcastle is the first piece and then whomever we draft #1 this year and next should be other cornerstones hopefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're all a bit too dismissive about Mancini.  I get that the in thing is to be down on one dimensional, DH/1B types but if Mancini is really hitting like he can this year...find a way to keep him.  

I'm not saying he's definitely a piece but I'd like to see how the rest of this season plays out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we're all a bit too dismissive about Mancini.  I get that the in thing is to be down on one dimensional, DH/1B types but if Mancini is really hitting like he can this year...find a way to keep him.  

 I'm not saying he's definitely a piece but I'd like to see how the rest of this season plays out 

Even if he has a big season you don't extend him.  It could be his career year.  If had consistent results or he was younger I would be willing to take a chance on him.   He is 27 and had a .710 OPS last season.   He has 2 more years of team control after this season.  By the time he is a free agent he will be 30.   I would certainly keep him on the team unless we are blown away with an offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Even if he has a big season you don't extend him.  It could be his career year.  If had consistent results or he was younger I would be willing to take a chance on him.   He is 27 and had a .710 OPS last season.   He has 2 more years of team control after this season.  By the time he is a free agent he will be 30.   I would certainly keep him on the team unless we are blown away with an offer. 

I never said anything about extending him.  And again, he was hurt last year.  

I am thinking that the real Mancini is somewhere between where he currently is and his rookie year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Assuming we may be able to challenge for the playoffs by 2023 (I cannot see how beforehand), I imagine any player listed below that was born in 1992 or earlier is unlikely to be still with us by then. I would not be shocked to look at our roster in four years and note the none of the players currently on the roster are still with us.  I hope Elias deals Mancini, Villar, Givens and others in order to net some quality prospects, sooner rather than later. 

Here's the current roster, according to MLB.com:

 

 

I just realized I'm older than everyone on the 25-man roster, that's a first for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I just realized I'm older than everyone on the 25-man roster, that's a first for me.

Extend O's84!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







  • Posts

    • I didn't care for his last two.  To me Morning Phase was going over the same ground Sea Change did and Colors sounded like someone following trends, not starting them. 
    • Agreed. Well past there prime / peak. In the 90s though I feel like they were probably a band that could sell out the 9:30 Club. 
    • It's hilarious how people keep pushing the Orioles' line that their was nothing worth signing when the teams we traded slot money found people they thought were worth signing.
    • Can someone help Interloper out here?  He's says I'm on record saying cheap international guys are "trash" and evidently not wanting the team to sign them.  I don't recall ever saying the O's shouldn't sign guys (unless you count me thinking Gaston was a likely bust). Did I ever make a post saying the that lower end signees were "trash" and that the O's shouldn't sign them?  Does anyone other than Interloper remember that happening?
    • I would agree with you about a typical wet behind the ears prospect, but I'm talking about Lowther.  Lowther seems to be an exceptionally bright pitcher who knows how to pitch.  In AAA, he would be learning to get AAA batters out.  AAA is loaded with older organizational type players who aren't good enough for the majors.  What works on them won't work on quality major leagues.  He needs to learn how to get major leaguers out, and I think the best - and perhaps only - way to do that is to face them.  At some point, ya gotta go through the trials of being a rookie, and I don't see the point in waiting in his case.  You guys call that rushing him; I disagree - fwiw.           
    • One reason would be keeping it so the team had more information about their financial flexibility as far as what they could offer than the player’s advisors/agents. Maintaining that information gap could be somewhat advantageous. The other being amplifying the PR campaign by announcing the core of the draft class all at once.
    • True, I’m trying to be aware of the rarity of a pitcher who throws cutters as their primary pitch making it though. I was also pretty disappointed that his velocity didn’t really tick up in relief last year, kinda screwed up the future profile I had in mind.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...