Bahama O's Fan

Cashner's Trade Value

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

I’ve seen this movie too many times. This is a nothingburger.

We gave up solid players for Norris and Feldman.  I would say Cashner is better than them.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

We gave up solid players for Norris and Feldman.  I would say Cashner is better than them.

I suppose we’ll see. I look at dudes like Cashner, Tyson Ross, Tom Koehler... these are guys barely in the league.

Ok well after reading this article, I'm not so sure anymove

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-andrew-cashner-indicates-hell-consider-giving-up-baseball-if-hes-traded-at-the-deadline/

I mean when's the last time a solid pitcher was hard up to actually stay in Baltimore, if he could have gone elsewhere.    We might buy some goodwill down the line for free agents considering signing here if we honor his request to stay put. 

Edit: And I would add, it is odd to me that Cashner's "reward" for playing well, is to get traded, against his will.   Compared to, say, Alex Cobb.  

Edited by GuidoSarducci

9 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I suppose we’ll see. I look at dudes like Cashner, Tyson Ross, Tom Koehler... these are guys barely in the league.

He has 1.7 WAR on the season.  He is better than almost every team's 5th starter.  I am not sure how he is barely in the league.  If we could get 2 more guys like Cashner we would have a decent starting rotation.  

We are 9-6 in games Cashner started and 13-51 in games he didn't start.  If you combine with Means we are 15-16 in games the two of them started.  And 7-41 in games they didn't start.  We actually have a 14 percent winning percentage in games they didn't start.  Amazing.

10 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Look at the list of everyone in the majors who's started seven or more games.  That gives you 153 pitchers, or about five per team.

There are 52 pitchers in the majors who've made 7+ starts with a FIP worse than Cashner.  That means, on average, every team has one or two starters in the regular rotation worse than Cashner.  The median FIP of those 153 pitchers is 4.34.  He's not great, but who has five great starters?

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Look at the list of everyone in the majors who's started seven or more games.  That gives you 153 pitchers, or about five per team.

There are 52 pitchers in the majors who've made 7+ starts with a FIP worse than Cashner.  That means, on average, every team has one or two starters in the regular rotation worse than Cashner.  The median FIP of those 153 pitchers is 4.34.  He's not great, but who has five great starters?

As we saw in 2014 if you have 5 starters who can go 6 innings and give you quality starts it helps your bullpen have defined roles and gives your team a chance to win every night.  Not one of those 2014 starters had more than 2.7 WAR on the season yet we won 96 games. 

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

As we saw in 2014 if you have 5 starters who can go 6 innings and give you quality starts it helps your bullpen have defined roles and gives your team a chance to win every night.  Not one of those 2014 starters had more than 2.7 WAR on the season yet we won 96 games. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2014-starter-pitching.shtml
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2019-starter-pitching.shtml

RA/G = average runs allowed per game by starting pitchers
IP/GS = average innings pitched per game started

2014 Orioles
RA/G = 3.66
IP/GS = 5.9
2014 American League
RA/G = 4.07
IP/GS = 6.0

2019 Orioles
RA/G = 6.33
IP/GS = 4.8 
2019 American League
RA/G = 4.79
IP/GS = 5.3

10 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Ok well after reading this article, I'm not so sure anymove

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-andrew-cashner-indicates-hell-consider-giving-up-baseball-if-hes-traded-at-the-deadline/

I mean when's the last time a solid pitcher was hard up to actually stay in Baltimore, if he could have gone elsewhere.    We might buy some goodwill down the line for free agents considering signing here if we honor his request to stay put. 

Edit: And I would add, it is odd to me that Cashner's "reward" for playing well, is to get traded, against his will.   Compared to, say, Alex Cobb.  

I'd really hope that Elias sat Cashner down shortly after this came out and told him, "look, Cash, I'm super-flattered that you like our city and organization so much.  But right now the best thing you can do for us is let us cash in on your value to help our rebuild.  If you're willing to take a team-friendly deal next offseason to come back to Baltimore, I'm open to it!"