orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well, to each their own.

Maybe we could play 6 year olds and see them lose 100 to nothing.

It should be considerably better, but better defense isn’t helping much.

the pitching is really Bad.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

It should be considerably better, but better defense isn’t helping much.

the pitching is really Bad.

Pitching has actually been better than the position players. Coming into today’s game pitchers 1.9 WAR.  Hitters 1.4 WAR.  I think if we keep the same position players all season this teams has a good chance of being below 1 WAR from the hitters on the season.

This team has less talent, but they are usually competitive when Cashner, Bundy or Means is pitching, and those games are more fun to watch than last year's team. They can usually hold their own with the other bad teams. We are at the stage of the rebuild when we should expect to lose and hope for a great draft pick again next year. Any time they compete is a bonus.

I have a co-worker who just completely fell out of love with the team. 40 years as a fan, multiple Orioles tattoos including all of the retired numbers. Several years a season ticket holder. Just can't do it anymore and has switched his allegiance to The Rockies (for some reason). This is happening by droves and I'm not sure the culmination of a rebuild will get that back.

Edited by Orioles1954

17 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

I have a co-worker who just completely fell out of love with the team. 40 years as a fan, multiple Orioles tattoos including all of the retired numbers. Several years a season ticket holder. Just can't do it anymore and has switched his allegiance to The Rockies (for some reason). This is happening by droves and I'm not sure the culmination of a rebuild will get that back.

I might give him a pass if he isn't local to Baltimore or Maryland. Otherwise he's not a real fan if he can just switch to the Rockies after 40 years as a fan. 1998-2011 didn't do it?  So signing and overpaying a bunch of veteran free agents would keep him happy?

Does he know anything about Elias and what the Astros did? Last years awfulness might have been unexpected, but this year is not a surprise if you have paid attention the slightest bit. 

Apologies for the rant, but I would never switch my allegiances from the Orioles after following them my whole life. I might become indifferent and not watch much baseball. But just say screw it I'll be a Rockies fan is not an option.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

They should merge with the Marlins and move 1/2 way between the 2 cities.  Maybe South Carolina?  The Charlotte Orilins?

Charlotte only 90 miles from me.

33 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

This team has less talent, but they are usually competitive when Cashner, Bundy or Means is pitching, and those games are more fun to watch than last year's team. They can usually hold their own with the other bad teams. We are at the stage of the rebuild when we should expect to lose and hope for a great draft pick again next year. Any time they compete is a bonus.

This organization is historically a losing franchise.  They were bad during St. Louis Brown's.  They were good in 1944, 1960-1966,1968-1983,1989-1997,2012-2016, the rest mostly losing years.

55 minutes ago, atomic said:

Pitching has actually been better than the position players. Coming into today’s game pitchers 1.9 WAR.  Hitters 1.4 WAR.  I think if we keep the same position players all season this teams has a good chance of being below 1 WAR from the hitters on the season.

The pitching may possibly be better than the hitting, but that just means the hitting is worse, because the pitching is horrible.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Mayberry Ant Bees.You knew they were going to be bad for a few years.The big free agent signing was Karns.And according to Bordick,the first game this year being able to watch,said Hyde was one of the best managers in the  game.The coaches are working hard and the players are watching many videos  Not sure what videos but maybe ones kids cant watch But heard the Orioles are resilient  Maybe also pliable and adhesive resistant. Bordick and Hunter never talk about the other team but spend the whole time talking about how great and hard working everyone is.

Why should our home team announcers talk good about the other team?  Who pays our announcers?  Other teams announcers do the same.  Boston, NY, etc, I heard Red Sox and Yankees announcers.

4 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

My mistake.  Charlotte is NC.   Somewhere near Mayberry?  But it doesn't really matter.  Bury the 2 teams in the middle of nowhere.

The O's are already in the middle of nowhere.  Just ask anyone in DC or Philly.

31 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I might give him a pass if he isn't local to Baltimore or Maryland. Otherwise he's not a real fan if he can just switch to the Rockies after 40 years as a fan. 1998-2011 didn't do it?  So signing and overpaying a bunch of veteran free agents would keep him happy?

Does he know anything about Elias and what the Astros did? Last years awfulness might have been unexpected, but this year is not a surprise if you have paid attention the slightest bit. 

Apologies for the rant, but I would never switch my allegiances from the Orioles after following them my whole life. I might become indifferent and not watch much baseball. But just say screw it I'll be a Rockies fan is not an option.

If someone wants to switch allegiances more power to them.  1998 to 2011 was a lot better than this. We have next to no talent on this team.  Who is our best position player?  Mancini?  A guy who is the worst regular outfield the team has ever put out there?

what was the worst team in the 14 losing seasons?  The 2010 team? That team had Wieters, Jones, Markakis Brian Roberts and Luke Scott.  This year we have a whole lot of nothing.

• Downvote 2