orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

By the way, Hyde’s presser was interesting last night.   He was asked about only being 2 games behind Toronto in the standings, and whether that created any more importance to this series.   He essentially said no, he didn’t look at that at all, and that this year was about “process.”   He said it’s important to try to win every game but realistically the standings don’t matter, it’s about trying to develop the team.    When they went back to the booth, Tom Davis said Hyde was “brutally honest.”

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, Hyde’s presser was interesting last night.   He was asked about only being 2 games behind Toronto in the standings, and whether that created any more importance to this series.   He essentially said no, he didn’t look at that at all, and that this year was about “process.”   He said it’s important to try to win every game but realistically the standings don’t matter, it’s about trying to develop the team.    When they went back to the booth, Tom Davis said Hyde was “brutally honest.

Lol. 

Good for Hyde. The message has been consistent from he and Elias since day 1. It's about development. That's it! They haven't tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes about it and I love that. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I watch less than last year so that helps some.  My mood is better about the team because they are rebuilding so I cut them much more slack than last year.  And I think I was tired of Buck and his veteran style of managing and he was tired of us and I think the team last year just quit after the mid season deals.    But just performance wise they are as bad just in a different way. 

This is where a lot of my harshness towards almost everyone involved with the abomination last year comes from, it's that in my view they quit well before the sell-off.  You had a team with a bunch of to be free agents, a GM and manager who were nearing the end of their contracts, and a bunch of veterans who underachieved the last two months of the previous season.  In my book, they mailed it in before the season even started, and at every single moment where a sense of urgency to get better or play better should've reared its head, it never did.  That is on every single person involved.  I'm not surprised the team is as bad as it is this year, nothing about it made me think I should have higher expectations, so if they're bad it was to be expected but anything above that and I'm pleasantly surprised.  There is no reason that team last year should have ever, EVER, been as bad as it was right from the word go.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

This is where a lot of my harshness towards almost everyone involved with the abomination last year comes from, it's that in my view they quit well before the sell-off.  You had a team with a bunch of to be free agents, a GM and manager who were nearing the end of their contracts, and a bunch of veterans who underachieved the last two months of the previous season.  In my book, they mailed it in before the season even started, and at every single moment where a sense of urgency to get better or play better should've reared its head, it never did.  That is on every single person involved.  I'm not surprised the team is as bad as it is this year, nothing about it made me think I should have higher expectations, so if they're bad it was to be expected but anything above that and I'm pleasantly surprised.  There is no reason that team last year should have ever, EVER, been as bad as it was right from the word go.  

Just think, if the O's had lived up to their 73-win projections the Orioles would have someone like Hunter Bishop or Alek Manoah instead of Adley Rutschman.  And 8-12 picks lower in all the other rounds.

23 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

So in your book they decided to half ass it all season before Game 1?  And a team full of free agents to be played with no urgency or ambition in order to sabotage their free agent value?  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree on being tired.  Looking back on it, I was just tired of a lot of the players, too.  

I feel a little bad saying this, but looking back on it, I think I was tired of Jones.  I'm not saying I don't like Jones...just tired of the declining defense, swinging at sliders in the dirt.  I was kind of tired of Manny, in a weird way.  Maybe just more tired of the impending doom of having to trade him because they boofed the pooch when it came to locking him up early.

Tired of Buck, too.  Not saying I don't like any of those guys and don't appreciate what they did while they were here...just needed a refresh.  

In other words, I don't find myself saying "Man, I wish Jones was still here," etc.

Hijack alert!!!

You're not married yet right?  I went through two marriages before "getting it right", but time changes everything as we progress through our allocation remaining here.  I don't think this is a "non-sequitur" statement, but that's what went through my decaying brain.

btw - I agree on all counts above!  Back to evaluating this year's team ......

2 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I felt the same way, although I am not sure that they mailed it in before the season started.  Last year's team made me angry....well before the sell off.  But I feel like they effectively threw in the towel a few weeks into the season.  And the underperformance of just about everybody was ridiculous.  This year....we are about where we should be based on our roster, and that is infinitely less upsetting than last year.  

o

(JULY 6th)

The Orioles are 27-61 after 88 games.

Last year's team was 24-64 at the same point.

o

I'm gonna say it.  I love this team.  I am not tied to every pitch, or every move and I am not posting here as often, but this years team is fighting to achieve.  Fighting to prove individuals belong, fighting to prove individuals can stay employed.  Last years team quit. Period.  All of em.  That helped secure the #1 but that team was much worse than this one.  This team may very well ultimately come in worse statistically.  But it should be noted that this team has significantly less talent on the field and if it manages to win anywhere near what last years team did (and I think it will) it will do so with heart and effort that was lacking last year.  I love that management does not pretend it is trying to contend but trying to establish a process for future success.  Are they perfect.  No, but warts and all, I am more comfortable about the future than I was at the break last year.

Imagine!!!

11 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I'm gonna say it.  I love this team.  I am not tied to every pitch, or every move and I am not posting here as often, but this years team is fighting to achieve.  Fighting to prove individuals belong, fighting to prove individuals can stay employed.  Last years team quit. Period.  All of em.  That helped secure the #1 but that team was much worse than this one.  This team may very well ultimately come in worse statistically.  But it should be noted that this team has significantly less talent on the field and if it manages to win anywhere near what last years team did (and I think it will) it will do so with heart and effort that was lacking last year.  I love that management does not pretend it is trying to contend but trying to establish a process for future success.  Are they perfect.  No, but warts and all, I am more comfortable about the future than I was at the break last year.

Imagine!!!

I'm with you. Feel the same way, but still hoping for another 1:1 in the end.

3 hours ago, Sessh said:

I'm with you. Feel the same way, but still hoping for another 1:1 in the end.

I’m fine if it’s too 5. Just Jeep improving. 

Edit:  keep improving. As a new Jeep owner, spell check makes everything 🚙

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I’m fine if it’s too 5. Just Jeep improving. 

Edit:  keep improving. As a new Jeep owner, spell check makes everything 🚙

I'd be okay with top 5 in 2021, but I want another 1:1. The most improvement I want to see this season is behind the scenes stuff. Scouting, expanding international presence and activity, getting the house in order and everything set up where Elias wants it to be. I don't care if we have the worst record again this season. In my view, that's best for us long term. I think I would be a little concerned if we had the worst record three straight years depending on the circumstances (injuries, busts etc..) Overall, my expectations are pretty low and are really only high in behind-the-scenes areas and the 2020 draft which seems to be pitcher heavy.