Frobby

Austin Hays 2019

38 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I hope he can start in next year's outfield, but I'd like to see him excel at Norfolk for a few weeks, at least.

More or less where I am.  He’s showing a lot of power right now (.233 ISO), but the BA (.274) and OBP (.321) aren’t really up to his capabilities.   He’s pretty hot right now (.317/.364/.634 last ten games), and if he sustains it for a few more weeks I’d love to see him in Baltimore.   

Hays with his fourth multi-hit game in his last eight games. 2-5 with a double and a home run, although he did have three strikeouts.

Starting to get a bit worried he's not the prospect we thought he was going into 2018 when BA ranked him #21. Injuries and all that but since then he's had 288 PA at Bowie at age 22-23 to the tune of a .706 OPS and now 129 PA at Norfolk with the major league juiced ball at age 23-24 to the tune of a .774 OPS. 

Luke/Tony and other talent evaluators, what are you hearing? Am I right to be worried? 

11 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Starting to get a bit worried he's not the prospect we thought he was going into 2018 when BA ranked him #21. Injuries and all that but since then he's had 288 PA at Bowie at age 22-23 to the tune of a .706 OPS and now 129 PA at Norfolk with the major league juiced ball at age 23-24 to the tune of a .774 OPS. 

Luke/Tony and other talent evaluators, what are you hearing? Am I right to be worried? 

Has he played more than a month or two straight? 129 PA is nothing and it’s not like he’s crashing and burning. I never thought he was a top 40 prospect. Injuries and lost developmental time, plus a bit of a book on him getting out has lowered his outlook. I still think he’s one of the better prospects in the org, he just needs to stay healthy.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Has he played more than a month or two straight? 129 PA is nothing and it’s not like he’s crashing and burning. I never thought he was a top 40 prospect. Injuries and lost developmental time, plus a bit of a book on him getting out has lowered his outlook. I still think he’s one of the better prospects in the org, he just needs to stay healthy.

No doubt. Now that he's finally healthy and got some continuity I was hoping he'd start pulling up trees, but that hasn't been the case. But I agree, it's a very small sample size. I guess I'm wondering if it's fair to start worrying if the next 129 PA produce similar results? 

He went through a 1 for 18 stretch about a week ago........other than that his game logs at AAA since returning from injury really don't seem that bad to me.

If you ignore that stretch (4 games) the rest of his line looks like .318/.366/.652  (1.018 OPS).

Obviously I'm not saying his true talent level is 1.018 but I think it's quite possibly better than .774.

As everyone else has said..........small sample size right now.   Hopefully he stays healthy and keeps playing well.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

He went through a 1 for 18 stretch about a week ago........other than that his game logs at AAA since returning from injury really don't seem that bad to me.

If you ignore that stretch (4 games) the rest of his line looks like .318/.366/.652  (1.018 OPS).

Obviously I'm not saying his true talent level is 1.018 but I think it's quite possibly better than .774.

As everyone else has said..........small sample size right now.   Hopefully he stays healthy and keeps playing well.

He’s been pretty erratic.    I agree his talent could be well above .774 but he’s kind of been all over the place.    Unlike 2017 when he just seemed amazingly consistent.   The one thing that’s been very good this year is the power.    No complaints there.    But the contact has been off and on.   

On 7/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, Frobby said:

He’s been pretty erratic.    I agree his talent could be well above .774 but he’s kind of been all over the place.    Unlike 2017 when he just seemed amazingly consistent.   The one thing that’s been very good this year is the power.    No complaints there.    But the contact has been off and on.   

His batting average and .OBP has been poor the last two years.Only 14 walks last year and 13 so far this year. Average down to .233 now,same as last year.Does have power, but dont you need to earn your way to get promoted to the big leagues?  I know  been injured  the  last two years,but do you get promoted with a .230 batting average and below .300 ,OBP? Still has time to get his average up over the last month of the season. 

I think Hays gets the rest of this year in AAA. Whether he’s OPS’ing .800 or not, I think he gets a Call up once AAA is over. Just because of our lack of CF options. Then he gets a full ST, and it might be time, IF healthy, to say sink or swim. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Hays gets the rest of this year in AAA. Whether he’s OPS’ing .800 or not, I think he gets a Call up once AAA is over. Just because of our lack of CF options. Then he gets a full ST, and it might be time, IF healthy, to say sink or swim. 

Hays is hitting .233 with a .277 OBP in AAA. He doesn't really deserve a callup. Plus they can get an extra year of service time out of him if they don't promote him in September and have him start the first month of next year in Norfolk. 

27 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Hays is hitting .233 with a .277 OBP in AAA. He doesn't really deserve a callup. Plus they can get an extra year of service time out of him if they don't promote him in September and have him start the first month of next year in Norfolk. 

This scenario is looking extremely likely right now. I don't think he's up in September.

Hays homered for the second consecutive game tonight.    His OPS is back to .756.  Climbing the ladder.   Would love to see him go on a tear now.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Hays homered for the second consecutive game tonight.    His OPS is back to .756.  Climbing the ladder.   Would love to see him go on a tear now.   

Please avoid using words like tear when talking about Hays.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3