DocJJ

Can we see Stewart, Cisco, Mountcastle instead of Martin, Severino, and Rickard?

57 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The advanced fielding metrics on Martin don't agree that he is valuable with the glove.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=17736&position=SS#fielding

The statement was that he's the best defensive player on the team, not that he's a plus defender. Who on the Orioles is better on defense? Chris Davis? It really is a sad situation -- we've replaced Machado and a bunch of mediocre-to-bad defenders with a group that seems to be even worse.  :drek:

If I had to bet you don't see any of those guys until July.  

Mountcastle comes up to replace Mancini who is likely traded if he keeps up anywhere close to his current pace.  Stewart replaces Smith Jr. who I think will be traded too now that there's no August deadline.  I really don't know what they're doing with Sisco tbh. 

I don't get too worked up about Martin.  He was at AA last year so its big jump.   I wish he would change his approach to be more of a contact hitter since he has speed though. I like Severino as a back up.  Rickard can go as far as I'm concerned.   

As much as I’d like to see those three playing for the O’s right now I don’t think it’s the time. Those guys can still benefit from getting everyday playing time and at bats in Norfolk. Let’s not rush to promote prospects because players on the big league club are underachieving. I’d much rather see a consistent high level of production from our prospects to the point where it doesn’t look like they are no longer being challenged at the AAA level. Then at that point promote them because they have more than earned it and the front office  no longer believes AAA serves a purpose for them any longer. I’d like for these guys to be fully developed so that win they get here they stick. If that means more loses this year so be it.

• Upvote 2

Another thing that may clog things up is Trumbo. No idea how long it will be before he is back but he is on the mend. If/When he is back someone has to go. 

Out of the three I think Mountcastle is last to come up, if he does at all.

I  would like to see Stewart but that forces out Nunez. It makes no sense to bring him up unless he plays just about every day. I guess they could option Rickard for Stewart but then how much would he play? I guess they could DH Nunez vs LHP and Stewart starts against all RHP. But then he isn’t  playing vs LHP. 

Also Severino should not be the one to go for Sisco, that would be Wynns. I have been happy with Severino. Last night in the 9th was ugly but Wynns has not been as sharp as last year.  

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t argue with that at all, but we can’t get rid of him now because we don’t have anybody with whom to replace him.

We'd have to get by with Villar or Alberto at  SS. Then play the other one at 2B. Then bring Wilkerson back to 2B or call up Jace Peterson. Right now, keeping Martin is the right option for a rebuilding club. 

I'm also fine with keeping Mullins and Mountcastle down in AAA until they get 500-600 PA at that level. Stewart and Sisco have that many PA, but this is also more about building self confidence for them, I think. 

This is just going to be the same train wreck we've been watching for the next 100 days or so until Sept 1st. Enjoy the Summer. We have the draft and a couple small moves at the deadline to look forward too. Everything else will be just trying stop gap types. 

Elias essentially hit pause this year. Put everyone back in a level where they should be, and didn't do much for the MLB roster. Mission accomplished, we're on track for a top pick in next year's draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

As much as I’d like to see those three playing for the O’s right now I don’t think it’s the time. Those guys can still benefit from getting everyday playing time and at bats in Norfolk. Let’s not rush to promote prospects because players on the big league club are underachieving. I’d much rather see a consistent high level of production from our prospects to the point where it doesn’t look like they are no longer being challenged at the AAA level. Then at that point promote them because they have more than earned it and the front office  no longer believes AAA serves a purpose for them any longer. I’d like for these guys to be fully developed so that win they get here they stick. If that means more loses this year so be it.

Please explain why you think Stewart would benefit more from playing in Norfolk over returning to the majors.  

What parts of his game need to be "fully developed" and how is Norfolk better able to facilitate that development?

6 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

If I had to bet you don't see any of those guys until July.  

Mountcastle comes up to replace Mancini who is likely traded if he keeps up anywhere close to his current pace.  Stewart replaces Smith Jr. who I think will be traded too now that there's no August deadline.  I really don't know what they're doing with Sisco tbh. 

I don't get too worked up about Martin.  He was at AA last year so its big jump.   I wish he would change his approach to be more of a contact hitter since he has speed though. I like Severino as a back up.  Rickard can go as far as I'm concerned.   

Me neither. I think I understand Elias's overall plan and the decisions not to promote our best prospects yet, as painful as the consequences may be at around 9 or 10 pm on many nights and on Sunday afternoons. 

But where is the organization on Sisco? Despite his unimpressive performance in ML two call-ups, I don't think anyone questions that his offensive potential should earn him a long look at hitting major league pitching but for the doubts as to whether he will be able to catch major league pitching well enough to be the receiver (even a backup) on an Oriole team that's striving to improve and move toward contention.

Sisco has been in the Orioles system since 2013. He has had five full seasons, and parts of two others, in which he's played over 400 MiL games, and 65 with the Orioles, all of them at catcher (plus a few games DHing). He's 24 and should be entering his prime years, and catchers often wear down and wear out faster than other position players.

It seems to me that should be plenty of time to decide whether Sisco is or isn't going to be good enough defensively to be a major league catcher. (Even if the answer is yes, the Orioles might regard him as only good enough defensively to hold down the position for a couple of years while the team stinks, but should be thought of as keeping the catcher's box warm for Adley Rutschman or someone else we haven't yet heard of.)

I have read a lot of comments about whether Sisco is or isn't improving defensively, or whether that's a hopeless task. I'm pretty sure there have been no steps taken to try Sisco at a less challenging position to get his bat in the lineup (third base would seem to be the logical choice, and there's not exactly a talent logjam there), but I don't know whether that means Elias has decided Chance can be the catcher on an improving team or is just letting the experiment  continue. 

If someone out there has some information or insight on the Elias regime's views of Sisco's defense and future, I'd really like to hear about it.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Another thing that may clog things up is Trumbo. No idea how long it will be before he is back but he is on the mend. If/When he is back someone has to go. 

Out of the three I think Mountcastle is last to come up, if he does at all.

I  would like to see Stewart but that forces out Nunez. It makes no sense to bring him up unless he plays just about every day. I guess they could option Rickard for Stewart but then how much would he play? I guess they could DH Nunez vs LHP and Stewart starts against all RHP. But then he isn’t  playing vs LHP. 

I don't think Trumbo will ever play for the Orioles again.  I think his knee is toast.  We'll see, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm betting we hear about another setback at extended ST or on his MiL rehab assignment.

We'll know for sure in two weeks, but I think Sisco's offensive development could be prioritized if Rutschman is the pick.  I would imagine Rutschman carrying Wieters-like workloads eventually, perhaps letting the club fade backup catcher defense for someone who might be able to contribute secondarily as a pinch-hitter for glove-first guys elsewhere around the diamond.

28 minutes ago, esmd said:

I don't think Trumbo will ever play for the Orioles again.  I think his knee is toast.  We'll see, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm betting we hear about another setback at extended ST or on his MiL rehab assignment.

You may be correct. Would not be a surprise. 

27 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

We'll know for sure in two weeks, but I think Sisco's offensive development could be prioritized if Rutschman is the pick.  I would imagine Rutschman carrying Wieters-like workloads eventually, perhaps letting the club fade backup catcher defense for someone who might be able to contribute secondarily as a pinch-hitter for glove-first guys elsewhere around the diamond.

In all honesty my hope for Sisco is an extra player off the bench. If they can ever build a pitching staff he could be the 3rd catcher and extra player with a 5 man bench. 

I don’t think Rutschman has anything to do with how they will develop Sisco. 

10 hours ago, DocJJ said:

please?

At what point does OH send out a message to all posters that his name is spelled Sisco? It's amazing he's been in the system for 6 years and considered among our best prospects the entire time and some still can't spell his name correctly. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DocJJ said:

please?

No. No you cannot. Maybe Stewart soon. TRUST THE PROCESS.

Sisco and Mountcastle are simply not ready. You have to leave them down there to cook properly. The fact that Sisco is having any success right now is a bit of a miracle, for one. But he still can't throw people out with any consistency. Do you really want to watch another poor defensive catcher? I sure don't. 

Mountcastle is 22 and doing great, but he's learning a new position and it's only been 160 AB. He's your best hitter and you don't want to screw him up. 

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

In all honesty my hope for Sisco is an extra player off the bench. If they can ever build a pitching staff he could be the 3rd catcher and extra player with a 5 man bench. 

I don’t think Rutschman has anything to do with how they will develop Sisco. 

They don't even have a 4 man bench right now.

Out of the 3 players listed, Stewart is the most "overall" ready. That doesn't mean he will be good, but he doesn't have anything left to prove in Norfolk. The issue is, you bring him up for Rickard and now you have no one in center to give Stevie a break.

Mountcastle is hitting and is doing so consistently, but is at a new position that has 2 people blocking him (3 if/when Trumbo is back.)

Sisco has gone 3 for 24 since his torrid hot streak and has thrown out 2 of 26 base stealers, also getting credit for 2 more "caught stealing" when the pitcher picked off the runner who still broke for second. He needs consistency.

Interesting note: Norfolk had Jesus Sucre play first base last night.

• Upvote 1